One Stat that is very Concerning | Page 2 | The Boneyard

One Stat that is very Concerning

Reaction Score
This issue continues, another 17 turnovers last night. The Huskies are not talented enough to turn the ball over this often and defeat good teams, something has to give otherwise another 16-15 so, so season....
You think we are going to finish the season going 8-12? I can’t find more than 3-4 losses the rest of the regular season with how pathetic the AAC is this year

Reaction Score
I can’t find more than 3-4 losses the rest of the regular season with how pathetic the AAC is this year

The AAC isn't great, but Cincy, UCF, and Houston are all Top 50 schools. Temple is KenPom higher than us, and SMU just beat Georgetown.

Then throw in Wichita, Memphis, and Tulsa--all of whom are better than pretty much our entire OOC (except Nova, Zona, FSU, Iowa, Syracuse--a group we're likely to go 1-4 against), and I don't know how you can look at that slate and assume they only get 4 losses.

I enjoy watching this team, and I think Hurley is awesome. But what have people seen from these players in the last 3 years to make statements like this? 20 wins would be a huge success.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
New coach with new group of kids playing a new brand of basketball.
Luckily, turnover numbers are fixable.
I don't think "luckily" is an appropriate adverb here, but I am hopeful toward improved possession consciousness.

Reaction Score
You think we are going to finish the season going 8-12? I can’t find more than 3-4 losses the rest of the regular season with how pathetic the AAC is this year
I’m watching a different team than you’re watching.

Reaction Score
I still think a realistic at worst expectation for AAC play is 10-8 or 11-7 based on what we have seen so far. The schedule isnt as brutal since we only play Houston once at home. Assuming we lose to Villanova, that would put us at either 19 or 20 wins going into the AAC Tournament.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe the turnovers are not because of necessarily careless play, but more of over penetrating
There's a tendency to drive without purpose. Too many drives without a lane and no one to pass to. That results in charges, lost balls, blocks, passes out of bounds, turnovers, and bigs getting stripped after dumb passes. Be aggressive but be aggressive with a plan.

Want to drive and kick? Know where who's getting ball when defense collapses. Going to hoop? Go strong and score or draw a foul. Yeah things change and defenses' react, but I feel like our offense drifts into playground ball too much. I'm sure the staff is working on it.

Reaction Score
To me, the Assist to Turnover Ratio is one to watch. There's no question that Turnovers have spiked - but we are playing at a different speed than previous years / and it takes time to get used to it. Rique is essentially a freshman who hasn't been able to play at speed for years...he and the team will improve as the year progresses.

What's interesting, though, is the Assist/Turnover Ratio has improved. We were in the bottom 5 LY - circa 0.83. It was pathetic - lots of standing around and hero ball. This year, we're over 1.00, despite the spike in turnovers (+2 per game v LY). Why? Because there is better spacing, passing and team ball. It's still not where we need it to be - but it'll improve over time.

Reaction Score
I still think a realistic at worst expectation for AAC play is 10-8 or 11-7 based on what we have seen so far. The schedule isnt as brutal since we only play Houston once at home. Assuming we lose to Villanova, that would put us at either 19 or 20 wins going into the AAC Tournament.
Not so sure we'll lose to Villanova, we match up well with them, and IMO are vastly overrated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom