One Point about UConn ND game | The Boneyard

One Point about UConn ND game

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We were up and Lou didnt score. We won the game with Phessa sitting for a long time and ONO showed us shes the real deal. Having your top 2 players in those positions and you still win the game against the number 1 team ND is something to look at and realize that this UConn team is very very good. Better then most think and because we have 2 freshman and one soph seeing alot of playtime we are only going to get better.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
We were up and Lou didnt score. We won the game with Phessa sitting for a long time and ONO showed us shes the real deal. Having your top 2 players in those positions and you still win the game against the number 1 team ND is something to look at and realize that this UConn team is very very good. Better then most think and because we have 2 freshman and one soph seeing alot of playtime we are only going to get better.

One more reliable player would seal the deal. Can Coombs be that player?

Reaction Score
You could play the angle that this was the game plan knowing that KLS and Pheesa would garner a lot of the attention from ND, so to work the ball to the rest of the team. So maybe Geno made a point to let KLS play the decoy for a game. Not a bad game plan for ND to try and put pressure on the younger players who didn't play much last year trying to get playing time over Williams and Nurse as well as our returning vets and have their players shadow the heavier hitters.

Reaction Score
You could play the angle that this was the game plan knowing that KLS and Pheesa would garner a lot of the attention from ND, so to work the ball to the rest of the team. So maybe Geno made a point to let KLS play the decoy for a game. Not a bad game plan for ND to try and put pressure on the younger players who didn't play much last year trying to get playing time over Williams and Nurse as well as our returning vets and have their players shadow the heavier hitters.
KLS is going to draw a ton of attention this year. Someone is going to be open often. I suspect it's going to be one of our two shortest starters.

Reaction Score
It was the smart, logical choice by the ND staff to double and otherwise focus their defense on the 'Big Three', particularly KLS, and force the newbies to have to carry more weight. Many on the Chat board were anxious that KLS get to scoring eventually if UConn was going to prevail. I'm sure McGraw and company told their players to maintain the game plan and expect the law of averages to catch up with the hot rookie.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In the first half, ND clearly focused on KLS ("Lou" to many of you) with Jackie Young guarding her most of the time. KLS battled and instead of forcing poor shots, did the next best thing and garnered a lot of assists. Side note here, when KLS picked up foul #2 and was put on the bench for the last 2 minutes of the 2nd quarter, our offensive flow struggled mightedly.
When Pheesa had to go out with 4 fouls in the 3rd Quarter and only a 5 point lead, KLS stepped it up, took the baton and ran. The great news is we have 4 players who have proven they can take over a game and 2 more who can impact it. Once the AAC play starts, Mikayla and Batouly need to assert themselves to be reliable.

Reaction Score
Amen... great post. Lou is amazing and often is overlooked because she does things quietly. I hope to see Coombs and Camara step up their games when the AAC starts so they can be helpful come March...... Hope Camara can be healthy....

Reaction Score
Pheesa is not usually focused on feeding others. She is a superb player but there were too many times yesterday when , once the ball was in her hands, she was determined to take a shot. Many times when she did not have one. And there were many misses and turnovers, as a result. Of course, I always expect her shots to go in.

Reaction Score
Amen... great post. Lou is amazing and often is overlooked because she does things quietly. I hope to see Coombs and Camara step up their games when the AAC starts so they can be helpful come March. Hope Camara can be healthy....
I think there is a chance that Coombs will emerge as a reliable substitute. Camara is a reach...because she seems cursed by her physical ailments.

Reaction Score
In the post-games, Geno stated that the game plan was to get CW the ball on every transition opportunity. I think that wisely recognizes the good fit of her charge ahead game with playing the Irish.

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Agree with your analysis, Tony. While Notre Dame probably will be a better team in the spring, because UConn's three young players have more room to grow, improve and gain experience, the feeling here is that over the next three months, the Huskies will make greater strides than the Irish's senior-laden team.

Reaction Score
I think Camara's strength is also her weakness. Loves to mix it up and fight for the rebounds and does have a nice shot. But being physical can result in injuries which she gets more than her share of.

Reaction Score

When CW and ONO have near repeats of this game I'll join the Choir. The 4: Danger (stability in a loud arena), CW is everything I knew she could be, Megan Walker is showing the UConn fans why she arrived as a Number one pick, ONO was really well coached for this game and played more than well. That, amazingly, allowed Geno to gamble. He gambled, and stayed with ONO much much longer than he would have in any other previous game--kudo's to Geno for staying--\
The Green hounds were nipping at Uconns (ah--hem) heals all afternoon. Pheesa played the game of her life and in doing so got into trouble. Katie Lou attacking and shooting and rebounding allowed Walker and CW to do their thing--and that thing was great.
I'm thrilled with the Soph and Frosh but please let us not forget who got us here and who will be the catalyst if Uconn is to get to the Elite 8 or beyond.
Now if this translates to Coombs, Gordon, etc getting the needed game experience that will be the best thing to come out of this game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom