One of the positives tonight | The Boneyard

One of the positives tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's take a short break from the inevitable "we didn't win by enough" hand wringing (not that there aren't some potential yellow flags). I didn't see the game but from the boxscore we seem to have fixed the rebouding problem if just for a game. ESPN has it at 38-19. Granted Wagner is not the biggest baddest team on the block but a 2:1 ratio is pretty good. It also shows 7 offensive rebounds allowed on 35 misses. 20% is pretty good especially considering 15 of the misses were on three pointers which can result in long rebounds favoring the offense.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The biggest positive I took out of the game was Drummond. He looked terrific. When he picked up that BS foul call, he got angry and was the best player on the floor for a few minutes. Blocked two shots in a row, then finished a big time alleyoop (after a whistle had blown the play dead, unfortunately). I don't know why he sat the bench almost the entire second half, but we are going to be very good when he and AO are on the floor.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
The biggest positive I took out of the game was Drummond. He looked terrific. When he picked up that BS foul call, he got angry and was the best player on the floor for a few minutes. Blocked two shots in a row, then finished a big time alleyoop (after a whistle had blown the play dead, unfortunately). I don't know why he sat the bench almost the entire second half, but we are going to be very good when he and AO are on the floor.
Based on tonight it would appear as if it would AD and Olander seeing the majority of the time up front. Possibly some cases where DD goes to the 4, with Lamb, Niels/Scoe and Napier(Boatright) out there.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
Drummond is a real piece of work. Whoever said he was as good of prospect as Greg Oden was, grossly overhyped him; Oden was a beast from the get-go.

Reaction Score
Drummond is a real piece of work. Whoever said he was as good of prospect as Greg Oden was, grossly overhyped him; Oden was a beast from the get-go.

I hope you are being sarcastic. The kid is a little raw but its evident when he gets it all going he will be a man among boys. He will lose his virginity in the BE, and come February he will look much different than his 2nd game of his career. My school of thought is that freshman need not be criticized or scrutinized, they are in training. I tend to focus on the upperclassmen who have a year plus experience in the league and with Calhoun. Freshman tend to develop at different paces and you have to expect ups and downs. This goes for DD and RB, evaluate them in February/March certainly not in November.

And please let's not compare freshman to others, Oden was a unique case, certainly a player that could dominate as a frosh but AD has the same potential, you'll see in time. He's in school (pun intended).

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Based on tonight it would appear as if it would AD and Olander seeing the majority of the time up front. Possibly some cases where DD goes to the 4, with Lamb, Niels/Scoe and Napier(Boatright) out there.

I liked the way AO played. 9 rebounds in less minutes than TO. They both bring different things to the table; TO had 4 assists, made some nice passes.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I really think the face mask is bothering him too... Let's give him more than two games before we say he's over hyped.

Reaction Score
Hey I got a positive note for you, we won.

All of you that are sad that we did not win by 50 are a bunch of babies, you would fit in perfectly on the Lville board. We played a pretty decent team and controlled the game, we currently do not have a backup PG and were still figuring out how to play without Kemba. Two of our key players are freshman, it is going to take a little bit of time to look like the '96 Bulls so just take a deep breath.

We were down 3 at half to UVM last year, pretty sure everything worked out okay once the season got rolling.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't why people insist on calling Drummond "raw". Thabeet was raw. Drummond has skills that will become more and more apparent with PT.

Reaction Score
I don't why people insist on calling Drummond "raw". Thabeet was raw. Drummond has skills that will become more and more apparent with PT.

His dribble drive on the baseline that lead to a reverse lay-in was anything but raw. What he lacks in post moves and awareness around the basket he makes up for with a good handle, quickness and mobility.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I think the biggest thing I've noticed after 2 games is the lack of vocal leadership on the floor. Last year Kemba was the undisputed leader. This year through 2 games it has seemed that when the leads got slashed a little bit there was no one to calm everyone down and keep everyone on the same page. We need more vocal leadership and I think it needs to come from Jeremy. He's the guy with the credibility right now. He needs to step up as a leader on the floor more. Shabazz has the chance to be that guy too, by virtue of being the point guard, but I think it would be a bigger benefit to the team if it's Jeremy.

Reaction Score
I think Drummond just needs to take his time when he has the ball. I don't blame him when he wants to go up right away but theres so many things he can do and he settles. After he made his first shot, he threw up some random shot. Another shot, he had great position and a nice but rushed the shot. He'll be okay. I'm more concerned with AO and his comments saying that players are being selfish.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

He's not raw skill-wise (except for in back to the basket fundamentals), but in terms of system play, I'd say he is. You can tell he hasn't had much coaching in system like UConn's before. Quite often it appears that he doesn't know where to be, both offensively and defensively. That'll come.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

How you are straight out of the gates is not necessarily related to how good of a prospect you are. The Drummond we see now will not even be close to the Drummond we see in Feb/March. Also, I think it's more difficult to be a freshman under Jim Calhoun than under Thad Matta.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think the biggest thing I've noticed after 2 games is the lack of vocal leadership on the floor. Last year Kemba was the undisputed leader. This year through 2 games it has seemed that when the leads got slashed a little bit there was no one to calm everyone down and keep everyone on the same page. We need more vocal leadership and I think it needs to come from Jeremy. He's the guy with the credibility right now. He needs to step up as a leader on the floor more. Shabazz has the chance to be that guy too, by virtue of being the point guard, but I think it would be a bigger benefit to the team if it's Jeremy.

Seems to me like Shabazz is the obvious leader of the team. He's a captain, he's brash, he's the point guard. Lamb will put the team on his back but he's clearly not the vocal leader that Shabazz is.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

The "get-go" was his peak as a player. Drummond will get better.

Reaction Score
I think Drummond just needs to take his time when he has the ball. I don't blame him when he wants to go up right away but theres so many things he can do and he settles. After he made his first shot, he threw up some random shot. Another shot, he had great position and a nice but rushed the shot. He'll be okay. I'm more concerned with AO and his comments saying that players are being selfish.

Source? Link?

Reaction Score
Agreed. Also I have not seen him so far make alot of dumb mistakes or TO's, he's very confident around the basket. Reminds me of Weber his freshman year at Mich. I can see him exploding for 25 or more once he loses the mask. Also am very impressed with Daniels.

Reaction Score
There are lots of positives to build on.
Lamb and Bazz have both shown that they are legit 20 plus scorers on any given night. DD looked real good last night. Both games have been double digit victories, and the rebounding was MUCH better last night.

When this team runs, they look fantastic. with Giffeye back and Boat to return fairly soon (I hope), we will see this team run more and more. I expect a highlight film from the game against Maine on Thursday.

Reaction Score
Thanks!

Interesting comments. I think the team is still starting to get a feel for each other and hopefully this is a transient phase. It does make me raise an eyebrow though...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Thanks!

Interesting comments. I think the team is still starting to get a feel for each other and hopefully this is a transient phase. It does make me raise an eyebrow though...

I read somewhere that Alex's sentiments (about selfishness) are attributable to JC addressing his team post game. Don't hold me to that though, as, despite my best efforts, I'm unable to locate the source.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I know what you are saying, but I think we will be OK here. There is a difference between players out to get theirs and players in a new role trying to find the balance between go-to guy and gunner.

Reaction Score
I think we'll be fine, hope we play good tomorrow so some of us could be reassured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom