One of the best days of TV in a while. | The Boneyard

One of the best days of TV in a while.

Reaction Score
For a bike geek like me I was up early ( for a Sunday ) to watch one the best editions of the Paris-Roubaix bike race in recent history. Later on, season premiere of Mad Men and Game of Thrones.

Is there really a basketball tournament going right now?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Paris-Roubaix was a lot of fun - turned into a scratch race on the track.

Looking forward to Game of Thrones, but have never seen Mad Men.

If I miss the start of a series, for some reason, I never tune into it.

Reaction Score
Paris-Roubaix was a lot of fun - turned into a scratch race on the track.

Looking forward to Game of Thrones, but have never seen Mad Men.

If I miss the start of a series, for some reason, I never tune into it.

That's how I am with Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead. I can only take so much on board.

That was the first Roubaix that I have watched where the race was settled in the velodrome. I can't believe the covered all 160 miles in only 5 hours and 45 minutes.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I figure I'm building up a nice Netflix list for when I have the time - Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Lost and whatever else comes along. I saw some of Deadwood, but only the stray episode here and there.

I'm hesitant to start watching some series from the start - I tend to be the kiss of death. I'm pretty sure I killed off John from Cincinnati, Luck and Heroes. I failed to kill Treme which really, really needed it.

Reaction Score
I actually like John From Cincinnati. And I know nothing about surfing.

Boardwalk Empire I can't get into.

Reaction Score
When you do tackle that list, I would suggest starting with Breaking Bad and The Wire in either order. Everything else should come after those two.

I still haven't watched Mad Men, but have heard nothing but great things. I'd probably skip Boardwalk if I were you - it can be painfully slow at times. I watched season 1, and the only great episodes were the last two. Supposedly every season is like that, too.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If you find yourself in season ~3-4 of Lost and are wondering if it'll pay off at the end, it won't. Don't get me wrong, there is some interesting stuff in the middle of the series, but don't expect it be satisfied by the ending of it. Supposedly the writers negotiated an end date so they could have the series end well instead of being strung out year after year, but the end result is not much better for it, IMHO.

Mad Men is the best series on TV now, even though its audience is much smaller than Game of Thrones or probably other shows (I also love Game of Thrones, don't get me wrong). But it's not strictly about plot or character development, or even the history of the 1960's. It's broader than that. It makes its points very subtly, but it's very well written and acted (and direction and cinematography are also superb). It's unlike any other show on TV, and for me it's more "real" than melodrama or reality TV, like the way the Wire was more complex and "real". Now perhaps some people won't gravitate to that, hence the smaller audience, but the rest of us can enjoy it.

Reaction Score
Mad Men is engaging on many levels. I have a hard time figuring which show I like the best, but I think that GoT and MM are probably the two best shows at the moment.

You worry about the characters. You worry about the firm, you get sucked into them wooing clients and keeping them. In the meantime their '60s sensibilities seem almost alien. The sexism, the smoking and drinking at lunch etc.

If you find yourself in season ~3-4 of Lost and are wondering if it'll pay off at the end, it won't. Don't get me wrong, there is some interesting stuff in the middle of the series, but don't expect it be satisfied by the ending of it. Supposedly the writers negotiated an end date so they could have the series end well instead of being strung out year after year, but the end result is not much better for it, IMHO.

Mad Men is the best series on TV now, even though its audience is much smaller than Game of Thrones or probably other shows (I also love Game of Thrones, don't get me wrong). But it's not strictly about plot or character development, or even the history of the 1960's. It's broader than that. It makes its points very subtly, but it's very well written and acted (and direction and cinematography are also superb). It's unlike any other show on TV, and for me it's more "real" than melodrama or reality TV, like the way the Wire was more complex and "real". Now perhaps some people won't gravitate to that, hence the smaller audience, but the rest of us can enjoy it.

Reaction Score

I thought LOST was the best ending to a tv series ive ever seen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom