One More Unique UConn "Stat" | The Boneyard

One More Unique UConn "Stat"

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As we are overwhelmed by quantitative measures of success (11 NC's, 104 consecutive wins, etc., etc.), something that is surely unique to our UConn women's basketball program is the very high incidence of biracial players who are offspring of interracial marriages.
Currently: Saniya, Gabby, Napheesa, and Kia.
Recently graduated: Kiah and Kaleena.
In the pipeline: Lexi and Andi.​

Obviously, Geno's focus when evaluating every (prospective or roster) player is a straightforward criterion: Can she play?

Clearly, their participation has been vital to the program's success.:)

A possible contributing factor: It is reasonable to believe (as I do) that parents of these UConn Huskies may have found a more welcoming atmosphere in the, um, "Greater Storrs" community than at some similar environs elsewhere.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think this may be a sensitive topic that has the potential to offend some individuals. The players that UConn recruits are remarkable young ladies. I'm very happy they all chose to come to UConn.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I think this may be a sensitive topic that has the potential to offend some individuals. The players that UConn recruits are remarkable young ladies. I'm very happy they all chose to come to UConn.

I am proud of them, proud of their coaches, and proud of UConn Nation!:)

Reaction Score
"Obviously, Geno's focus when evaluating every (prospective or roster) player is a straightforward criterion: Can she play?"

Are you suggesting that being bi-racial is a negative factor? That Coach Geno was somehow willing to overlook their bi-racial background to select them anyway?

I see these young ladies as beautiful, talented, and amazing. And I don't say that "in spite" of their being bi-racial. I say that as the father of two bi-racial kids, now all grown up.

Reaction Score
This is precisely why I quickly deleted my original response to this thread. As Olddude said, this is "a sensitive topic with potential to offend". I read Kib's post and never interpreted it to mean that being biracial was a negative thing. I interpreted it to mean that UCONN as a community welcomes diversity and other campus communities may not. If you (not FF personally) disagree, check out the Diamond Deshields thread and her comments about the atmosphere on the UTENN campus after the election.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
"Obviously, Geno's focus when evaluating every (prospective or roster) player is a straightforward criterion: Can she play?"

Are you suggesting that being bi-racial is a negative factor? That Coach Geno was somehow willing to overlook their bi-racial background to select them anyway?

I see these young ladies as beautiful, talented, and amazing. And I don't say that "in spite" of their being bi-racial. I say that as the father of two bi-racial kids, now all grown up.
FF,
I don't see how you could possibly cull from Kib's post that he's suggesting it's a negative thing. Quite the opposite. Seems to me he is celebrating diversity and the contributions of all the kids in the UConn program. It's clear that it's a sensitive issue to some.

I've been fascinated by this phenomenon at UConn for some time. I have no special reason for being so other than some sort of intellectual interest, for want of a better phrase. I have no agenda, no ax, no cause, no nothing. I just think it's interesting. UConn is a melting pot, which is indicative of a coach and program that is open and accepting of anyone who meets the character and talent criteria that have been articulated so many times on this board. Race doesn't matter, religion doesn't matter, political party doesn't matter, even country doesn't matter,

Seems to me UConn is a model for how the world ought to be.

Reaction Score
hell, ultimately we are all products of interracial marriages. Just less "obvious" in some because we define race in a certain way.

I don't know if UConn is more welcoming--I would hope that everywhere these days is welcoming--but is it a beauuuuutiful thing.
Thanks, Kib!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I've noticed the same thing. I loved seeing Saniya's parents at Senior Day.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Actually never thought about it. We just have a team comprised of wonderfully talented young women. And they can whip your gluteus maximus!

Reaction Score
No one should even notice, much less talk about it. Diversity is the norm in our culture. By the way, I've noticed that there are only women on this team; do we need to discuss that?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Of course not. To his (and CD's) credit, Geno is focused on their skills and personal qualities. If anything, he seems to especially admire the character of these special young ladies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
No one should even notice, much less talk about it. Diversity is the norm in our culture. By the way, I've noticed that there are only women on this team; do we need to discuss that?

We wish this were true.

Reaction Score
We wish this were true.[/QUOTE

White students are now the minority in the nation's public schools. In the generation of olayers being discussed, diversity is indeed the norm. Your wish has been granted.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I find the large number of bi-racial players to be interesting. I have no explanation for it. I have no idea if being bi-racial helps one as an athlete.

Two of my granddaughters are bi-racial, Caucasian and Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander. One of them is an undersized but totally badass soccer player.

Reaction Score
Oh please! To not notice is to deny the reality of race in America. And to not speak of "it" is to suggest that race, or perhaps racial mixing, is unspeakable. As a Black man married to a white woman, I don’t appreciate being e-raced. Like Kibs, I have certainly taken note of the large number of biracial players at UCONN. I suspect it has a lot to do with their delight in finding a place where they don't have to sacrifice or background any parts of their identity.

I have been following the team long enough (over 20 years) to remember when rival coaches used to whisper to Black recruits that UCONN would be an inhospitable place for them to land. That story lost its power when Tamika, Swin and Asjha arrived on campus. Going back even further, I have always been grateful to Jamelle Elliot for taking what was, for her, a huge social and cultural risk, and to Geno and Kathy for embracing her like a daughter.

Reaction Score
Oh please! To not notice is to deny the reality of race in America. And to not speak of "it" is to suggest that race, or perhaps racial mixing, is unspeakable. As a Black man married to a white woman, I don’t appreciate being e-raced. Like Kibs, I have certainly taken note of the large number of biracial players at UCONN. I suspect it has a lot to do with their delight in finding a place where they don't have to sacrifice or background any parts of their identity.

I have been following the team long enough (over 20 years) to remember when rival coaches used to whisper to Black recruits that UCONN would be an inhospitable place for them to land. That story lost its power when Tamika, Swin and Asjha arrived on campus. Going back even further, I have always been grateful to Jamelle Elliot for taking what was, for her, a huge social and cultural risk, and to Geno and Kathy for embracing her like a daughter.

Okay. Yup. What you said.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
@Crossover. Thank you for sharing your special perspective -- and especially for introducing the verb "embracing" into this discussion.

GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score

Are you a reporter for NBC?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Crossover - thanks for a great post. Storrs remains a pretty non-diverse community because while it is a university town it is a rural NE location just far enough from Hartford to have only started to become an acceptable 'bedroom' community for commuters there, and too far from New Haven and the coastal region for commuters. I grew up here in the 60s and still remember when the first two black kids started attending EO Smith HS! And I remember my father and his colleagues on the faculty search committees discussing the difficulties in attracting and then retaining ethnically diverse faculty - the good ones that they did attract would be 'poached' by wealthier universities within a few years as the whole of academia was scrambling to diversify.

All that said, the community as a whole has always been a tolerant one and welcoming to diversity in racial, gender, and lifestyle terms, at least from my experience. The diversity has grown, but certainly does not mirror communities that are closer to urban centers. I agree that Eliot's arrival and success at UConn and her enjoyment of the experience was a major step forward for the team, and the TASSK force class confirmed that. She and Tonya as assistants during the early glory years also really helped.

And I agree that ignoring race, and/or pretending it is not an ongoing evolution in society is not helpful. I have traveled a lot in Europe and especially in the UK, and while you do not hear about 'race problems' there in the way that the US issues are splashed across front pages daily, my impression is that most of Europe is much more 'racist' than most of the US. And not just race, but ethnicity, religious affiliation, and national origin form strong bases for blatant prejudice. No one talks about it, but it is firmly entrenched in the society and even the language. The Brexit vote unleashed a huge increase in hate crimes across much of the UK. While the US is not close to perfect, at least we continue to expose and discuss these issues.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I resonate with everything you say. ault" other than geography.
Re your last paragraph, I watched a segment on 60 Minutes this evening that was utterly chilling. It was about Marine Le Pen, the National Front candidate for president of France. It made me appreciate how wonderfully complex and inclusive our national identity is in comparison to just about every other country.

As a matter of possible interest, especially to @Crossover and @UcMiami, I invite your attention to this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/04/opinion/sunday/what-biracial-people-know.html

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom