2024 Recruiting: - One more potential add? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: One more potential add?

Reaction Score
that doesnt mean he's more physcial than AK, who was doing it for 30 mpg and even guarding Edey in the chip game. and dont patronize me about being stuck in the 2000s i fully understand the value of a stretch 4 to our offense. doesnt change the fact that replacing our most important player with an undersized stretch 4 that barely played last year is going to tank our chances at 3peating.
1 inch and 5 lbs(assuming he gains the same 10 lbs of muscle that Karaban gained between Fresman to Sophemore year to compete down low) in the grand schemes of things is nothing. Both Karaban and Stewart are a little undersized but that is how the game is played. We will be fine as we can take advantage of teams playing a traditional 4 on the offensive side as they will have to cover them. I trust that Hurley is confident in what he has seen in Stewart that he doesn't need to bring anyone else in. Also, we don't know if Karaban isn't coming back and we also don't know what Hurley will do if he doesn't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Theres a couple stretch 4s sitting in the draft process that Id assume we show sharp interest in if Alex stays in the draft. Those kids are also focused on the draft and may be looking for an opportunity if the draft isnt for them.
I’m sure there are a bunch of kids that would love 1 year with UConn/Hurley to showcase themselves for the league. Our offense lets everyone shine. Look what it did for Cam.

Reaction Score
if Karaban goes pro, we could use a player who can rebound, play some defense on 4 and shoot. Unless, Hurley thinks Ross or Abraham could do that role. I think 6’7 is tall enough to play the 4 in UConn system but need some strength to defend players like Bryce Hopkins. I suppose it’s possible Samson could get some time at 4 against some of the nastier opposing power forwards, but that would probably mess up offensive sets.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
IMG_1535.jpeg

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
you gave Ball 10 minutes in your rotation projection so who do you have starting at SG if not Mahaney?
Maybe something like.

Diarra(25)-Mahaney(15)
Liam(25)-Mahaney(10)-Solo(5)
Stewart(25)-Solo(15)
Alex(30)-Ross or Abraham(10)
Center(20)-Center(20)

Nowell could push Solo and Ross/Abraham for the 9th spot, but I think a lineup like this fits our personnel better. Really depends on Liam and/or Stewart’s ability to be a support ball handler.

Reaction Score
Im sure we will add someone soley as a bench piece, for depth. Similary to Romoglou. You have to have some guys who can play in practice that will not see the court only in blow outs. Maybe someone who wants some experience with UConn, who may go elsewhere afterward.

Reaction Score
Maybe something like.

Diarra(25)-Mahaney(15)
Liam(25)-Mahaney(10)-Solo(5)
Stewart(25)-Solo(15)
Alex(30)-Ross or Abraham(10)
Center(20)-Center(20)

Nowell could push Solo and Ross/Abraham for the 9th spot, but I think a lineup like this fits our personnel better. Really depends on Liam and/or Stewart’s ability to be a support ball handler.

Umm… McNeeley?

Reaction Score
I think the current roster is very deep and has tremendous potential on offense. Lots of shooters, good inside game, lob dunk game, transition, everything.

The one aspect that could make or break our season is on the boards. We replaced a 6’7 (triple double machine) 5th year, a 6’4 5th year and a 6’6 freak athlete, with a 6’0 FR, 6’7 FR, and a 6’3 slighter Jr. we also replaced a 7’2 mountain of a man with a 6’10 more below the rim player. I think the bigs will still be fine especially if AK comes back, but the guards help on the boards certainly won’t be as prolific.

It could all boil down to just more close games if other teams are getting extra looks. We are still going to score a ton of points with our offense. The only fix would be a big guard addition but it seems like we are out on adding anything to the back court. Not sure it makes sense to add a front court player who is a board only guy that isn’t going to play much over the 5s and certainly wouldn’t play over AK and Stewart. Maybe a KaSean Pryor/C.Hawkins type if AK stays in the draft.

Reaction Score
From the comments on some of these threads regarding the roster and the team's goals I think folks might be underestimating how good the last two teams we had were, how that's not easy to duplicate and how they had a unicorn in Clingan who completely changed the way both the offense and the defense worked when he was on the floor.

Reaction Score
From the comments on some of these threads regarding the roster and the team's goals I think folks might be underestimating how good the last two teams we had were, how that's not easy to duplicate and how they had a unicorn in Clingan who completely changed the way both the offense and the defense worked when he was on the floor.
This. I think we’ve done a great job replacing (at least) four starters and making ourselves competitive again. And teams win basketball games, not individual players. But I’m hard pressed to see how we’re going to be as good with the present roster (even with AK) as we were the last two years.

Reaction Score

Dan Hurley needed to replace nearly his entire starting lineup from the Huskies' second straight national championship team, and he's close to finalizing his roster after landing this Saint Mary's transfer. Mahaney was a first-team All-WCC selection after averaging 13.9 points and shooting 37.5% from 3 over two seasons in Moraga. He'll slot into Cam Spencer's starting spot from day one in Storrs.

UConn is likely done finalizing its perimeter rotation
with the addition of Mahaney.

Reaction Score
I think the current roster is very deep and has tremendous potential on offense. Lots of shooters, good inside game, lob dunk game, transition, everything.

The one aspect that could make or break our season is on the boards. We replaced a 6’7 (triple double machine) 5th year, a 6’4 5th year and a 6’6 freak athlete, with a 6’0 FR, 6’7 FR, and a 6’3 slighter Jr. we also replaced a 7’2 mountain of a man with a 6’10 more below the rim player. I think the bigs will still be fine especially if AK comes back, but the guards help on the boards certainly won’t be as prolific.

It could all boil down to just more close games if other teams are getting extra looks. We are still going to score a ton of points with our offense. The only fix would be a big guard addition but it seems like we are out on adding anything to the back court. Not sure it makes sense to add a front court player who is a board only guy that isn’t going to play much over the 5s and certainly wouldn’t play over AK and Stewart. Maybe a KaSean Pryor/C.Hawkins type if AK stays in the draft.
Who is this 6'7" Triple double machine I must of missed him? I'm guessing you mean 6'4" Newton. I think with McNeely, Mahaney, improved Ball, Improved Stewart and Diarra we will be a better 3 pt shooting team next year. We won't have someone like Castle dragging or Newton Dragging down our %. I agree we might be lighter on rebound and interior D but we are hoping we make that up with the 3 ball on offense.

Reaction Score
i really dont like seeing ross as our backup PF. he's 6'7 190 lbs soaking wet. closer to a 2 than a 4.
Stewart would be the backup PF. He was the backup PF this year. He'd also see time at the 3, but he'd be the primary back-up PF for Karaban. If Karaban leaves, I'd expect Stewart to start at the 4 - and Abraham to back-up Stewart. I would think McNeeley is more likely to see spot minutes as a stretch 4 than Ross -- Ross is more of a 2/3 and not a 3/4.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Danny likes his roster until or once there's clarity on AK's decision. I respect the fact that he's added some new faces with obvious talents while remaining loyal to returning players-including being able to keep the Fab Four together for their soph. year. No easy task.

Practices and summer sessions are going to be wars fighting for PT in the fall. Gonna be a different team and a wild ride. Can't wait to see these guys grow.

Reaction Score
See Jaylen Wells (6'8" 205 lbs) and Kasean Pryor (6'10" 200 lbs). If Karaban stayed in the draft but either of these two did not, they make a lot of sense in late May.
Yeah exactly! Pryor we had supposedly checked in on. Hed be a great AK replacement

Reaction Score
Yeah exactly! Pryor we had supposedly checked in on. Hed be a great AK replacement
Pryor is who I want if AK doesn't come back but I'm not sold Hurley will replace like with like. I can see him going the more developmental route with this and letting Stewart take over the 4. He actually can create offense off the dribble and shoot from both inside and outside. He plays decent D too but is inconsistent player. I'm sure under Hurley's staff he would really shine and become more consistent.

Reaction Score

See thread titled: "Honest question -- Do we have enough rebounding to be bulletproof?" for four pages of discussion and erroneous comments on this very topic.

Reaction Score
Boneyarders like mixing first names into lists of last names almost as much as they like misspelling those names.
It's almost as bad as reading a post about how SB is gonna be the backup to AM but also HD unless AN really proves himself and starts pushing SB to the 3

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom