One last disservice to Tennessee courtesy of Holly | The Boneyard

One last disservice to Tennessee courtesy of Holly

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While seeing Tennessee jump 3 notches this week in the polls on the strength of beating Massey #340 Ark Pine Bluff and #305 Air Force (who the heck is voting????) I went and looked at the LV schedule and OMG is it an embarrassment. It’s listed as #179 (mind you there are 348 D1 schools this year). Yes, she had #20 ND (who one would expect to be better when scheduling), #5 Stanford and of course #2 Connecticut. Even Texas has always played a soft OOC and while next for UT is rated a whopping #90! The next lowest Massey score on the OOC is #164 Portland St and #187 Colorado St. Add in the games of #265 E Tenn, #286 Cen Ark, #225 Stetson, #253 Howard, #337 Tennessee State on the OOC and that is 4 teams under 100, 2 teams #164-200; 4 teams #225-286 and 3 teams #305-340. So with 348 D1 teams, Holly scheduled in the lower half of all teams. Yikes. :eek:
My quasi apologies to MSU as I guess it’s an SEC hereditary issue to put cupcakes and turnovers on your bakery schedule.
I am slightly heartened at how tough the Mizzou St schedule is at #5 so hopefully these schedule commitments end soon so a former elite team can once again act elite. Head bang

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yes that schedule was set up by Holly. Harper was asked about schedule post game after the last game.
with non-conference scheduling going forward:
"My scheduling philosophy has always been that you've got to prepare your team. Prepare your team for conference, and if your team is good enough to be in the NCAA tournament, you've got to prepare them with a schedule that gets them there and allows them to be successful. You can go back and look historically at our teams' schedules, and they've been gauntlets; we've put our players through some really tough challenges in November. We may have struggled in November, and our record probably reflects that, but we sure were pretty good in January, February, and March, and that's when it matters the most. I think we'll really try to make sure that we're challenging our players to the best of our ability early on, because I think that's what they need."

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
By Historically, she means prior to 2012...:rolleyes:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think she was referring. What she has done as a head coach. As far as the schedule.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
While seeing Tennessee jump 3 notches this week in the polls on the strength of beating Massey #340 Ark Pine Bluff and #305 Air Force (who the heck is voting????) I went and looked at the LV schedule and OMG is it an embarrassment. It’s listed as #179 (mind you there are 348 D1 schools this year). Yes, she had #20 ND (who one would expect to be better when scheduling), #5 Stanford and of course #2 Connecticut. Even Texas has always played a soft OOC and while next for UT is rated a whopping #90! The next lowest Massey score on the OOC is #164 Portland St and #187 Colorado St. Add in the games of #265 E Tenn, #286 Cen Ark, #225 Stetson, #253 Howard, #337 Tennessee State on the OOC and that is 4 teams under 100, 2 teams #164-200; 4 teams #225-286 and 3 teams #305-340. So with 348 D1 teams, Holly scheduled in the lower half of all teams. Yikes. :eek:
My quasi apologies to MSU as I guess it’s an SEC hereditary issue to put cupcakes and turnovers on your bakery schedule.
I am slightly heartened at how tough the Mizzou St schedule is at #5 so hopefully these schedule commitments end soon so a former elite team can once again act elite. Head bang

Tennessee jumping 3 spot makes sense since the three teams they jumped all had really bad weeks:

Miami: lost by 22 to Oregon State, lost to DePaul

Syracuse: lost by 18 to Stanford, lost to Green Bay

Michigan State: lost to unranked LSU

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Tennessee jumping 3 spot makes sense since the three teams they jumped all had really bad weeks:

Miami: lost by 22 to Oregon State, lost to DePaul

Syracuse: lost by 18 to Stanford, lost to Green Bay

Michigan State: lost at home to unranked LSU
Michigan State's loss to LSU was in the Bahamas.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Relax guys, nothing to see here. Let's just move along. Last year LV was 8-0 after beating Texas at Texas and 13-1 after beating Auburn at Auburn. LV of course lost to Stanford at Rocky Top. Their opening 14 games included a schedule tougher than this years. The year before they were 16-0 with wins over Marquette and Texas at home and Kentucky on the road. All before league play began. Proponents and haters will find out later than sooner just how good this team is. Such short memory's.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Relax guys, nothing to see here. Let's just move along. Last year LV was 8-0 after beating Texas at Texas and 13-1 after beating Auburn at Auburn. LV of course lost to Stanford at Rocky Top. Their opening 14 games included a schedule tougher than this years. The year before they were 16-0 with wins over Marquette and Texas at home and Kentucky on the road. All before league play began. Proponents and haters will find out later than sooner just how good this team is. Such short memory's.
Yep. Trust me, I am anxious to see both Rutgers and Arizona when they play some real teams.

As Arizona was demolishing Monmouth last night, I noted both a height advantage (not unusual against the weak teams) and a quickness advantage. Will they still have a quickness advantage against a better team or will both teams be equally quick?

And so it goes for all the teams, Tennessee included, that are playing awful schedules. As much fun as it is to watch a performance, it is really nerve-wracking for a fan when you don't really know what the potential is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom