one GM Prefers Jeremy Lamb Over Barnes | The Boneyard

one GM Prefers Jeremy Lamb Over Barnes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Tough call ... Barnes has better NBA height. Both will be fantastic players though.

Reaction Score
The thing is that Barnes is purely an NBA 3, and he doesn't have the height, athleticism, or raw ability to be a dominant player at that position. He can be a very good player, but his ceiling seems like a Sean Elliott/Shane Battier type. Lamb, even as an NBA 2, has that wingspan where his potential ceiling is much higher. And if he gets better with his ballhandling and learns to be a scoring 1, forget about it. Little point guards wouldn't have a prayer to defend his floater. There's perhaps more risk with Lamb, but his ceiling as a backcourt player is incredibly high.

Reaction Score
GMs love Barnes talent but most believe that he has maxed out and could turn out to be a descent player like luol deng... On the other hand, Lamb is great now and his ceiling is much higher than Barnes, and we all know the NBA love to draft by potential

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Kind of strange and/or discouraging that "the GM" would not disclose his name.

Reaction Score
Plus, they don't want to tip their hands on what they're thinking. If it was closer to the draft, I'd say this guy probably likes Barnes better and wants his stock to slip, but its too early for those sort of games.

Reaction Score
The thing is that Barnes is purely an NBA 3, and he doesn't have the height, athleticism, or raw ability to be a dominant player at that position. He can be a very good player, but his ceiling seems like a Sean Elliott/Shane Battier type. Lamb, even as an NBA 2, has that wingspan where his potential ceiling is much higher. And if he gets better with his ballhandling and learns to be a scoring 1, forget about it. Little point guards wouldn't have a prayer to defend his floater. There's perhaps more risk with Lamb, but his ceiling as a backcourt player is incredibly high.

what the h3ll are you talking about?:confused:

Reaction Score
Your analysis was pretty spot on Gurley but he is probably referencing the fact that you said Barnes' ceiling is Battier. I think his floor is Battier, but his celing is only Loul.

Reaction Score
I truly believe that at the end of the season, most GMs will have Lamb on their board above Barnes. Lamb is a high-floor, high-upside prospect. He's versatile and would fit on any team. Barnes on the other hand, doesn't have that much upside. He's basically a Luol Deng/Danny Granger in a best case scenario. I think Lamb is going to go top 5 in the draft, with a good chance at top 3.

Reaction Score
Tough call ... Barnes has better NBA height. Both will be fantastic players though.

Barnes has a long Hilton neck. Hes really 6'6. I saw a pic where hes barely taller than Marshall. Plus even if he has "better NBA height", Lamb has better NBA length, athleticism, explosion, jump sho.t, handle, floater, finishing ability etc. I think Lamb is a far better NBA prospect than Barnes

Reaction Score
That's a fair point that his ceiling is a little higher. I probably should have said that a Battier/Elliott type is his most likely role (and Deng is a good choice for a ceiling, although Deng is one notch below Lamb in wingspaniness). And I actually didn't mean to be insulting by saying Battier - I actually think he has been a very good pro (if I wanted to be insulting I'd have said Marvin Williams). I just think if you stick Barnes at the 3 at the next level, he won't have any natural advantage over the guy he's matching up with (size, speed, strength, athleticism, wingspan, deep shooting range) and there's very little chance he'll ever play the 2 where he'd have a size and strength advantage. He'll need some good players around him to be effective, which is where the Elliott/Battier comparisons came in). I could of course be wrong but I just don't see Barnes being a difference-maker at the next level, but he could be a safe pick that'll have a 10-year NBA career as a valuable complementary piece. Lamb could be a Hall of Famer or a guy who never gets comfortable in an NBA position and flames out.

Reaction Score
Lamb is more explosive and athletic. Hes longer, and is far better at creating his own offense/shot. His handle as is his leaping ability and finishing. He has a natural position, wheras Barnes is more of a tweener. Overall, Lamb is a better player now and his upside is far greater. Barnes was just way overhyped in HS. Hes a good player but nothing special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom