One Game Post-cauldron | The Boneyard

One Game Post-cauldron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What did we see? A whole lot less of Polley, Jackson,and Adams, Sanogo got in foul trouble and may have Wally Pipped himself for a few games. More Josh, More Martin. Steady amounts of Bouk, Gaff, Cole and Whaley.

As many have noted, actual game film has a helluva record on shortening rotations. Looks like there's Cole, Gaff, Bouk, Martin, Sanogo, and Whaley who are going to all be 20 mpg + for rest of the season. Josh just forced his way in to 15-20 mpg until he proves ineffective. Akok will get his chance at minutes.

Looking like Polley, Adams and Jackson are situational dependent fillers for now.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
well, i saw coach's espn postgame where he spoke aboot last year's close losses to ooc teams, stating, without saying a word of description, 'wasn't that mahvelous? pretty much wire to wire we outclassed them and won. sooo much not like last year.' oh, and he actually sorta said aboot bouk, 'james! ufah! you were supposed to go for 27 tonite, wake up!'
or something like that. great game. smart, athletic, tough team. wire-to-wire. impressive.

Reaction Score
What did we see? A whole lot less of Polley, Jackson,and Adams, Sanogo got in foul trouble and may have Wally Pipped himself for a few games. More Josh, More Martin. Steady amounts of Bouk, Gaff, Cole and Whaley.

As many have noted, actual game film has a helluva record on shortening rotations. Looks like there's Cole, Gaff, Bouk, Martin, Sanogo, and Whaley who are going to all be 20 mpg + for rest of the season. Josh just forced his way in to 15-20 mpg until he proves ineffective. Akok will get his chance at minutes.

Looking like Polley, Adams and Jackson are situational dependent fillers for now.

Polley was a major force last year before getting hurt, and Adams can shoot.

What I predict is that Adams starts seeing a lot more minutes because he can shoot, & he's good defensively. I would not be shocked if we see Cole and Gaffney only play 25 minutes each.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Polley was a major force last year before getting hurt, and Adams can shoot.

What I predict is that Adams starts seeing a lot more minutes because he can shoot, & he's good defensively. I would not be shocked if we see Cole and Gaffney only play 25 minutes each.

There is zero evidence in 2+ years of playing that Adams can consistently shoot the ball. It's the exact opposite. He plays like he is a shooter but his numbers are way below average. He has a game or two a year where he shoots well, but shooting isn't his forte.

1607054021140.png

Brendan Adams Stats | ESPN

Reaction Score
There is zero evidence in 2+ years of playing that Adams can consistently shoot the ball. It's the exact opposite. He plays like he is a shooter but his numbers are way below average. He has a game or two a year where he shoots well, but shooting isn't his forte.

View attachment 62012

He has a totally different shooting form this year. He changed it. No hitch.

Reaction Score
Polley‘s conditioning is questionable 4 fouls in not so many minutes for a guy who didn’t historically foul much indicates that he is not really ready. That’s no shock coming off an ACL. You can write him off but until we come up with a few more guys who can shoot expect more zone and there always be minutes for a zone buster .

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I didn’t know Polley played until I checked the stats and saw he almost fouled out

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So I’ve been bullish on Gaffney getting play more than Cole but something dawned on me tonight. Gaffney’s lack of TOs come from not doing anything more than swinging the ball around the perimeter. Hard to turn the ball over doing that. When Gaffney is out there the other team can focus so much on Bouk because he’s not a threat to do anything. I’ll give him credit for hitting 3 big FTs but until he plays more aggressively I prefer Cole and Bouk.

Reaction Score
Depending on the opponent, and who’s hot (or not), we’re going to see different players having big games and others getting a lot of bench time.

Carlton and Adams are perfect examples. Josh no PT the first two games, Adams a lot. Reversal for this game.

This team remains 10 deep. 11 when Akok’s back. No one in that top 11 is going to get buried, everyone will have their games, their moments, their bench time.

That’s what I like about this team. There’s Bouk and Whaley, every game, every night. After them who shows will be different answers on different nights.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
So I’ve been bullish on Gaffney getting play more than Cole but something dawned on me tonight. Gaffney’s lack of TOs come from not doing anything more than swinging the ball around the perimeter. Hard to turn the ball over doing that. When Gaffney is out there the other team can focus so much on Bouk because he’s not a threat to do anything. I’ll give him credit for hitting 3 big FTs but until he plays more aggressively I prefer Cole and Bouk.

Gaffney is an interesting one. He's a very calming presence on the floor for his age, and really lets the game come to him. I couldn't believe he had 15 the other night against Hartford, I feel like I barely noticed it.

But I think he lets the game come to him a little too much at times. I'd like to see him go out and be an aggressor more. It's still early in this season/his career. But he's very crafty around the basket, has a decent stroke from 3, and is a good distributor. It seems like his dribbling towards the basket and shot creation needs some improvement/more confidence if he's going to take that next step. But I think eventually he's going to be our no. 1 PG ahead of Cole.

Reaction Score
Polley‘s conditioning is questionable
i hope it's conditioning and not losing his lateral quickness due to the injury. he was a below average defender to begin with.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I didn’t know Polley played until I checked the stats and saw he almost fouled out

3 games, same result. I thought preseason he was probably the least effective guy on this team. He shoots off the catch if open. That’s it. He’s sub par at everything else. Adams gives you more overall.

Reaction Score
for Adams to be playing as little as Polley and AJ right now is very telling. it's not a matchup issue like it was with Josh the first two games

Reaction Score
It is still early. I think that the coaching staff is still working through lineups, rotations, and who plays well together. Tonight we saw Sanogo and Martin get the call to join the starting lineup. Sanogo quickly got in foul trouble and then, Carlton made the most of his opportunity.

I didn't understand putting Sanogo back into the game in the first half with 2 fouls. He very quickly picked up his 3rd.

The hockey substitution once the lead got to 13 was a tad confusing. We were left with a a lineup that couldn't score and the gap was closed fairly quickly.

The roster has versatility and, depending on the opponent, different folks will get opportunities. Tonight, Josh Carlton made the most of his.

Reaction Score

View attachment 62012
I think someone put it best when they said he's like a freshman Vital....except he's a junior

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
they showed grit tonight which is something that was missing from the past few years except the part of last season

Reaction Score
That’s what I like about this team. There’s Bouk and Whaley, every game, every night. After them who shows will be different answers on different nights.
Kind of sounds like a team in LA that had a pretty good nba season ;)

Reaction Score
i hope it's conditioning and not losing his lateral quickness due to the injury. he was a below average defender to begin with.
He had said sliding was still an area he did not have back 100%

Reaction Score
for Adams to be playing as little as Polley and AJ right now is very telling. it's not a matchup issue like it was with Josh the first two games

Adams is streaky. There have been plenty of posts on the boneyard calling for Hurley to adjust his playing time when he's "off". Well, last night he was off and Hurley did adjust his PT.

But there will be games when he's "on" too, and he'll get plenty of run when that's the case.

Also, as far as this thread topic in general, it's worth noting that the lineup that played down the stretch won despite its offensive performance, not because of it. Based on how last night was going, I don't think Hurley felt he could trust anyone else. That will change over the course of the season.

Reaction Score
It's probably a bit of both. He didn't move his feet quickly enough to stay in front of his man. There were a few very light touch fouls called, but you're less likely to get dinged with those when you are in proper position.

Reaction Score
It's probably a bit of both. He didn't move his feet quickly enough to stay in front of his man. There were a few very light touch fouls called, but you're less likely to get dinged with those when you are in proper position.

I'd say at least 2 of his fouls were calls that players who aren't named Mobley don't get

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Cole had his best game of the season, easily, and was very important to the win. Shot well, defended aggressively, did not turn the ball over, hit the boards, got assists. He had two shots, which he created for himself, that were very makeable. He hits those 2, he's the player of the game. Loved seeing this. He plays like this all year, we're in great shape at guard.
Still waiting for Bouknight to have a huge game. Seems like he starts hot, gets dinged up, or otherwise just slows down. He had at least 2 3s rattle in and out. He also got banged up. If he's just a touch more on, we win by ten.
Polley had 4 fouls in very few minutes. That's the only reason he didn't get more run. If he finds his shot, he will get minutes against any zone we face. Guy is very tall, shoots from a high position, and hits over 40%. He will murder any zone if he reattains the form he was in last year, before the injury. Also was defending reasonably well and hitting the boards. He's 3 games back from a major injury. It's unrealistic to expect him to be banging on all cylinders.
Adams is a great energy guy and a very good defender, but I'm unsure of where his shooting will go. His numbers improved from year 1 to 2, and they seem to be up from 2 to 3. Reminds me of a Scotty Burrell progression. Does not seem like a natural shooter, but through practice and strength of will, he's becoming a threat. May just need to get in the rhythm. Fact is, we need 3 shooters. If he can hit over 35%, he'll get minutes.
Martin is steady as she goes. Need guys like this, who will virtually never have an "off" night, by which I mean, this guy is going to board and defend and hit the shots he should hit whenever he's on the floor.

You like apples? Carlton was the reason we won. Rebounded beastly, hit shots, played excellent D. Didn't some guy say he was off the team? IS IT TOO EARLY FOR A HANGING?

IMO Hurley is doing a really good job of feeling out this team. He's giving everybody a chance, for the most part. AJacks, for instance, looks a bit lost out there. But he's getting minutes. With the depth this team has, I think it's critical that Hurley lets guys get minutes early so he can figure out the best lineups. Experimentation now will lead to precision later on. I think it would be a mistake to just run your current best team out there. Gotta live through same pain now for some gain later.

Last night, if a few buckets fall (Cole's open 2s, Bouk's rim out 3s), we win by 10 and it seems like a well-managed affair, if not an annihilation.

As it was, we won by 4 and, oddly, it seemed never in doubt.

We have massive upside on this squad. We are nowhere near to firing on all cylinders. Polley comes around, Bouk polishes up, Gaff gets more aggressive, Adams gets a little more consistent, Akok comes back in form . . . very, very high ceiling.

Reaction Score
Cole had his best game of the season, easily, and was very important to the win. Shot well, defended aggressively, did not turn the ball over, hit the boards, got assists. He had two shots, which he created for himself, that were very makeable. He hits those 2, he's the player of the game. Loved seeing this. He plays like this all year, we're in great shape at guard.
Still waiting for Bouknight to have a huge game. Seems like he starts hot, gets dinged up, or otherwise just slows down. He had at least 2 3s rattle in and out. He also got banged up. If he's just a touch more on, we win by ten.
Polley had 4 fouls in very few minutes. That's the only reason he didn't get more run. If he finds his shot, he will get minutes against any zone we face. Guy is very tall, shoots from a high position, and hits over 40%. He will murder any zone if he reattains the form he was in last year, before the injury. Also was defending reasonably well and hitting the boards. He's 3 games back from a major injury. It's unrealistic to expect him to be banging on all cylinders.
Adams is a great energy guy and a very good defender, but I'm unsure of where his shooting will go. His numbers improved from year 1 to 2, and they seem to be up from 2 to 3. Reminds me of a Scotty Burrell progression. Does not seem like a natural shooter, but through practice and strength of will, he's becoming a threat. May just need to get in the rhythm. Fact is, we need 3 shooters. If he can hit over 35%, he'll get minutes.
Martin is steady as she goes. Need guys like this, who will virtually never have an "off" night, by which I mean, this guy is going to board and defend and hit the shots he should hit whenever he's on the floor.

You like apples? Carlton was the reason we won. Rebounded beastly, hit shots, played excellent D. Didn't some guy say he was off the team? IS IT TOO EARLY FOR A HANGING?

IMO Hurley is doing a really good job of feeling out this team. He's giving everybody a chance, for the most part. AJacks, for instance, looks a bit lost out there. But he's getting minutes. With the depth this team has, I think it's critical that Hurley lets guys get minutes early so he can figure out the best lineups. Experimentation now will lead to precision later on. I think it would be a mistake to just run your current best team out there. Gotta live through same pain now for some gain later.

Last night, if a few buckets fall (Cole's open 2s, Bouk's rim out 3s), we win by 10 and it seems like a well-managed affair, if not an annihilation.

As it was, we won by 4 and, oddly, it seemed never in doubt.

We have massive upside on this squad. We are nowhere near to firing on all cylinders. Polley comes around, Bouk polishes up, Gaff gets more aggressive, Adams gets a little more consistent, Akok comes back in form . . . very, very high ceiling.
We won by three, but except for that this is probably the best review of the game I've read. It matches the game that I watched last night. Good job.

I think it's time to start calling Martin a "glue guy."

Reaction Score
I think it would be a mistake to just run your current best team out there. Gotta live through same pain now for some gain later.

Except for tomorrow. Play whoever is helping you win the game. We need the OOC win and so does the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom