One Game In With SNY | The Boneyard

One Game In With SNY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For those of you who care about streaming (and no, it is not CPTV's fault), just some thoughts abo the technical aspects. The broadcast, in terms of camera work and personnel, was very good, IMHO.

1. The action was jerky through the first portion of the first half. At one point, it appeared that SNY cut overage for a few seconds, rebooted and it all was much better. In the first half, the video actually stopped only once. In the second half, it stopped numerous times and the jerkiness returned. The quality of the picture was not good, actually worse than the CPTV signal of last year.
2. The picture was enclosed with in an "SNY" frame, and we could not see the bottom of the screen, where the score was.
3. I spent 52 minutes on the phone waiting for SNY's customer service. Got a very nice young woman who tried to help for about 10 minutes before finding the key to getting Internet Explorer to show a full screen. She then tried a couple of fixes and finally found one that would allow the screen to open fully.
4. It is a complete ripoff that we not only do not get the special programming, but that we also do not get the pre-game or post-game shows. All we seem to get is, literally, the game. Why don't they save even more money and not carry the audio?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I had all those frustrations over the years with CPTV. Be patient it will likely be worked out.

Reaction Score
Ah, c'mon guys.. lol :) For starters, CPTV made the uconn games look like you are watching TV in 1995. (at least the quality of picture).. Besides, you CPTV guys have been toooooo spoiled..i don't even thing CPTV streamed any games..at least SNY does..

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Ah, c'mon guys.. lol :) For starters, CPTV made the uconn games look like you are watching TV in 1995. (at least the quality of picture).. Besides, you CPTV guys have been toooooo spoiled..i don't even thing CPTV streamed any games..at least SNY does..
Lol. Without cptv there would be no sny.

And I've got to admire your ignorance of cptv's streaming history, light year's before the rest of the world understood the concept.

Reaction Score
I live in New York and have been watching UConn's womens games via streaming for many, many years. And I've got to say this first production by SNY is far superior streaming to CPTV's streaming. There were substantially less internet interruptions and the overall quality of the video was superior. I too called their hot line and they answered the phone in less than 5 minutes. And, I didn't have to listen to the money raising pleas. Much improved streaming wise.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I live in New York and have been watching UConn's womens games via streaming for many, many years. And I've got to say this first production by SNY is far superior streaming to CPTV's streaming. There were substantially less internet interruptions and the overall quality of the video was superior. I too called their hot line and they answered the phone in less than 5 minutes. And, I didn't have to listen to the money raising pleas. Much improved streaming wise.

Welcome to the board.

Reaction Score
I did, too, Ice, but they never denied me the pre and postgame shows.

I watched CPTV on-air broadcast and the pregame was 20 minutes of selling sweatshirts for $100. and the post game was another 20 minutes of begging followed by a tape of a 2 minute courtside interview of CD. Today we actually got a minute of Geno's Presser - LIVE and got to watch highlights right after the game.

Reaction Score
I thought the picture quality was excellent and there was no jerkiness of motion. If I get this every game I'm going to be very happy.

Reaction Score
I watched the game on SNY TV. Did anyone else notice the constant volume changes in the broadcast? Very annoying, had to hold the remote all game. Otherwise excellent broadcast IMO.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I watched the game on SNY TV. Did anyone else notice the constant volume changes in the broadcast? Very annoying, had to hold the remote all game. Otherwise excellent broadcast IMO.
Didn't have that issue on the DirecTV satellite broadcast. Probably a local matching issue.

Reaction Score

Well, at least we all now know how little you know about UConn women's basketball on TV. CPTV streamed games for years and while they had problems, they delivered the same product to streaming customers that they delivered to those who received their product over the air, on cable or on satellite.

With SNY, there appear to be two classes of people: The cable/satellite subscribers, who get the whole package, and the streaming customers, who get less.

Reaction Score
I watched CPTV on-air broadcast and the pregame was 20 minutes of selling sweatshirts for $100. and the post game was another 20 minutes of begging followed by a tape of a 2 minute courtside interview of CD. Today we actually got a minute of Geno's Presser - LIVE and got to watch highlights right after the game.

Correct on all counts. I assume it is easy for you to say this because you are watching the game on SNY via cable or satellite, yes? Perhaps not so good if you're a streaming customer who now feels like a second-class citizen. Yes, I'll continue to watch the games on SNY because it is, literally, the only way to see them at all. But this leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I imagine there are other who agree.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Tomcat - I wholeheartedly agree. I sent them another email today. You would think that those paying the additional fee would bethe ones with access to extra content - instead we get less.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I could not be happier with the quality of the broadcast and the quality of the programming. I thought, in particular, Kara did a terrific job and she worked well with Gary Apple.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Meghan's approach to the broadcast was, also, significantly improved.

Reaction Score
For those of you who care about streaming (and no, it is not CPTV's fault), just some thoughts abo the technical aspects. The broadcast, in terms of camera work and personnel, was very good, IMHO.

1. The action was jerky through the first portion of the first half. At one point, it appeared that SNY cut overage for a few seconds, rebooted and it all was much better. In the first half, the video actually stopped only once. In the second half, it stopped numerous times and the jerkiness returned. The quality of the picture was not good, actually worse than the CPTV signal of last year.
2. The picture was enclosed with in an "SNY" frame, and we could not see the bottom of the screen, where the score was.
3. I spent 52 minutes on the phone waiting for SNY's customer service. Got a very nice young woman who tried to help for about 10 minutes before finding the key to getting Internet Explorer to show a full screen. She then tried a couple of fixes and finally found one that would allow the screen to open fully.
4. It is a complete ripoff that we not only do not get the special programming, but that we also do not get the pre-game or post-game shows. All we seem to get is, literally, the game. Why don't they save even more money and not carry the audio?

I don't understand how you can complain about getting ripped off. Aren't you the one who purchased the product knowing that you would only be able to see the game?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
No, John, we didn't. When SNY was promoting their broadcast package, they heavily mentioned all the specials, before game & after game programming. No where did they say "This is just for our TV viewers, who get SNY as part of their cable package. All of you folks that we've convinced to pay an addition $60 will, in fact, get none of the additional program features." We're not paying $60 to get the same as everybody else. We thought we were. We are getting substantially less.

Reaction Score
After years of watching the games on CPTV streaming which had an inconsistent quality to it (picture freeze, need to reboot a lot of times, etc...) I can actually watch the games on TV as I have SNY as part of Charter Communications package and I can’t be happier! I think SNY doing an outstanding job!

Reaction Score
No, John, we didn't. When SNY was promoting their broadcast package, they heavily mentioned all the specials, before game & after game programming. No where did they say "This is just for our TV viewers, who get SNY as part of their cable package. All of you folks that we've convinced to pay an addition $60 will, in fact, get none of the additional program features." We're not paying $60 to get the same as everybody else. We thought we were. We are getting substantially less.

Here's what I see on SNY's website:

• HD quality streaming of every SNY UConn Women's Basketball game LIVE (see full schedule below)
  • DVR controls
  • In-game highlights
  • Full-game archives on-demand
  • Geno Auriemma Coach's Show segments
  • Feature segments from SNY programming
  • Press conferences and more!
Nowhere does it say that you're entitled to those other extra features and programming. And you're someone who is out of the area (I'm presuming) who is able to watch close to 30 of your team's games for 60 bucks. Not a bad deal.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
archived segments ain't the same thing as seeing the full program as it is being broadcast.

Reaction Score
Here's what I see on SNY's website:

• HD quality streaming of every SNY UConn Women's Basketball game LIVE (see full schedule below)
  • DVR controls
  • In-game highlights
  • Full-game archives on-demand
  • Geno Auriemma Coach's Show segments
  • Feature segments from SNY programming
  • Press conferences and more!
Nowhere does it say that you're entitled to those other extra features and programming. And you're someone who is out of the area (I'm presuming) who is able to watch close to 30 of your team's games for 60 bucks. Not a bad deal.

You know, John, without resorting to parsing every thing they are saying there, I can tell you that many Boneyarders and I thought that we ALL were getting a package that included the special programming, pre and post-game shows and the games themselves.

The proof: Their warmup show, the one you cable and satellite viewers enjoyed so much, was called -- get this -- Huskies ALL ACCESS. Now, I ask you, in all fairness, what the hell do you think the phrase ALL ACCESS would mean to most folks? Well, to my little mind, it meant a show about the Huskies that was accessible to all.

When SNY was crowing about winning this contract, they weren't saying, "We're going to provide this wonderful streaming service and we're going to provide two levels of service. Our streaming is great but don't expect all the programs you would gt if you were signed up for our first-class service. In fact, we're being treated as second-class customers, and for no business reason that I can fathom.

John , sure $60 is a good price for those games. I absolutely agree. But that is not the point. The point is what SNY led us to believe we would get.

Reaction Score
archived segments ain't the same thing as seeing the full program as it is being broadcast.

Okay, but it explicitly tells you what you're getting when you purchase the product. So unless you completely ignored that I don't understand you thought that you were getting something else.

Reaction Score
You know, John, without resorting to parsing every thing they are saying there, I can tell you that many Boneyarders and I thought that we ALL were getting a package that included the special programming, pre and post-game shows and the games themselves.

The proof: Their warmup show, the one you cable and satellite viewers enjoyed so much, was called -- get this -- Huskies ALL ACCESS. Now, I ask you, in all fairness, what the hell do you think the phrase ALL ACCESS would mean to most folks? Well, to my little mind, it meant a show about the Huskies that was accessible to all.

When SNY was crowing about winning this contract, they weren't saying, "We're going to provide this wonderful streaming service and we're going to provide two levels of service. Our streaming is great but don't expect all the programs you would gt if you were signed up for our first-class service. In fact, we're being treated as second-class customers, and for no business reason that I can fathom.

John , sure $60 is a good price for those games. I absolutely agree. But that is not the point. The point is what SNY led us to believe we would get.

You saw what they were offering when you signed up for the streaming. What they said in May or whatever in the press release is completely irrelevant when they wrote everything out for you on the page where you signed up.

And "All-Access" is very commonly used as a term meaning that you see "behind the scenes" access to the team. ESPN and others use the term all the time.

D

dakotaboy

I have the best internet for my area (BFE) lol. The game kept stopping... i wanted to cry :( at one point stick figures on my TV screen would have looked better. I did call SNY, waited for 48 minutes to get someone... game was almost over.

I ended up cancelling, i'll pick up direct tv and get a subscription for two years instead, at least i'll be able to watch everything (hopefully). With direct tv, i'll only have to pay 89.99/month for one year if i sign a two year contract. Then i'll pay 119.99/month for the second year... But in the end it'll be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom