OT: - One Argument to Open Colleges | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: One Argument to Open Colleges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Scary to read comments like this. 60K+ deaths in about 3 months, coming after significant social distancing and shut downs, all of which are being relaxed or ended. All medical professionals predicting 2nd wave. Tell me again how this compares to flu. Likely this is a thread better for another Board. Let's talk basketball!
I'm sorry you find my comment scary.

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure the 2.2m number is a projected annual number. The 60k is just the last 2 months or so, and it may be way undercounted.
Or it may be way over counted. Anyway, the 2.2 million is not going to come close to happening. Thank God.

Reaction Score
This isn't an issue of fear, it's one of social responsibility. What your post misses is that our risk assessment doesn't just include how much risk I am willing to assume, but must acknowledge that I can unknowingly transmit the virus to others who may be much more at risk. I don't have that right. I would hope that you agree that you don't have that right either.
You don't know all the facts about this disease either. Be honest. And there are an infinite number of viruses and other diseases that we all might be passing one from another. Once again, unless you enclose yourself in a safe room, you are going to come in contact with diseases. So, what? We are never going to touch one another or stand within six feet for the rest of our lives? And if we violate that dictum we are not socially responsible? That is a kind of society that smothers and that I and many others like me would never want to be a part of. But if you are afraid of passing something on to someone, you should stay at home. Young people should be moving forward with their lives.

Reaction Score
It's almost exclusively old people that are dying. Just keep the kids on the campus and don't send them home. They'll be fine. Furthermore, they will build a herd immunity and keep the rest of us safer. About half the deaths have been in nursing homes. 84% of deaths are people who are over 65. The kids are fine, pretty much invulnerable to this very contagious but fairly weak virus. Oh, but here I go with facts, silly me.
Your attitude will succeed in spreading the virus. You are not going to be able to contain students on campus. They eat, go to bars, fill arenas and stadiums. I wouldn’t call you silly, just dangerous.

Reaction Score
You don't know all the facts about this disease either. Be honest. And there are an infinite number of viruses and other diseases that we all might be passing one from another. Once again, unless you enclose yourself in a safe room, you are going to come in contact with diseases. So, what? We are never going to touch one another or stand within six feet for the rest of our lives? And if we violate that dictum we are not socially responsible? That is a kind of society that smothers and that I and many others like me would never want to be a part of. But if you are afraid of passing something on to someone, you should stay at home. Young people should be moving forward with their lives.

Yes there are an "infinite" (note, while there are a lot of viruses and diseases, it is considerably less than "infinite") number of viruses and diseases that we might be passing to one another. What's your point? They represent the baseline. COVID-19 is a new virus for which we have no immunity, have a limited understanding of how to deal with it currently, and has killed over 200,000 people worldwide in a few months. The fact that you insist on not understanding how this is different is mind boggling, and a little disturbing. But what's most disturbing is your insistence of not recognizing our collective responsibility to one another. Like it or not, we are connected to one another. And should act accordingly.

Reaction Score
Roger G wants people to die and he doesn't care how many.

Reaction Score
Roger G wants people to die and he doesn't care how many.
Dr. Oz said 2-3% mortality rate among school aged children was A-OK so long as the good ol' USA "gets its mojo back." Texas Lt. Gov said "there are things more important than living" in reference to going back to normal. That guy also said that "old people would be willing to sacrifice their lives for the economy." How many of you older folks that follow WCBB would be willing to die tomorrow so the Dow Jones gets back to 30,000? Believe it or not there is a large swath of this country that just wants to say screw it and go right back to the way things were two months ago because we're American and ain't no invisible disease gonna take away our freedums.

Reaction Score
I suspect everyone’s viewpoint would be a lot different if they knew they were in the 2-3% group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom