One and Done Rule | The Boneyard

One and Done Rule

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score

Zion Williamson said he would still attend college if the one and done rule was abolished. It makes me question how many guys would go straight to the NBA once the rule is no more in a few years?

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't know about that. It's a nice sentiment from Zion for sure, but there is plenty of time to go to college after the NBA.

At the same time though, dude's stock has definitely risen in college. He was certainly one of the top prospects at the beginning of year but now he is the obvious #1 pick. He's everywhere on ESPN too. I know he was already famous before for his dunking on social media, but this year at Duke has set up him up to be a massive star from day one in the NBA. Got a real shot at a Championship/Final Four too.

Reaction Score
It's tough because on one hand I get it. You'd be the star at a huge university and presumably dominate your competition for one year. On the other hand, you could go to the NBA, earn money, and not risk falling down draft boards due to injury, etc.. Tough spot to be in.

Reaction Score
They will take the NBA and the money if and when the rule changes.

Reaction Score
there were still some questions about him coming out of high school. not saying those wouldn't have been answered at the combine and pre-draft workouts, but he probably wouldn't have been the 1st pick. going to college answered those questions.

Reaction Score
It's tough because on one hand I get it. You'd be the star at a huge university and presumably dominate your competition for one year. On the other hand, you could go to the NBA, earn money, and not risk falling down draft boards due to injury, etc.. Tough spot to be in.
Most kids probably wouldn't be that high in the draft coming out of highschool (see Anfernee Simons and Mitchell Robinson). Barring an injury, two years in college would only help them bump their draft stock in my opinion. Zion, and a few others, are an exception, however.

Reaction Score
Hmm I can go and get 1 year of a free education that i dont want or go pro and make millions. I think i'll go to college. I'm not saying nobody would make that decision, but with millions staring you in the face, not many would choose college over the NBA. Zion obviously wouldn't say he's only at Duke because he couldnt go to the NBA. And I have no doubt that he is glad to get to experience being a superstar around campus, so his opinion is bias now.

Reaction Score
Can’t beat the college experience. Nba will always be there. At least experience it fir a year. It’s not like he’s 26. He’s only 18-19

Reaction Score
It’s a lot easier to say that would be his position since he is bound to the current rules.
It’s a far different thing if faced with a real life decision to turn down lottery pick money.
As my late very wise mother use to say .
“Easier said than done”
Or if you prefer Kubrick to Mom.
“He can talk the talk but can he walk the walk”
or succinctly
“Talks Cheap”

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
There's no reason he wouldn't say that now. Saying "I'm only here at Duke because I have to be" wouldn't exactly endear you to your fans.
So many players have done that before. Ben Simmons comes to mind, he made a whole documentary about how he felt jailed to the NCAA. Also complained throughout the year.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Zion isn't your average 1 and done player. Zion seems to be love being at Duke. Cam Reddish on the other hand i wonder what he would say.

Reaction Score
I'm sure there is a list, but has anyone been negatively affected by going to college instead of straight to NBA?

Not including all the Kansas guys who became ineligible.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
So many players have done that before. Ben Simmons comes to mind, he made a whole documentary about how he felt jailed to the NCAA. Also complained throughout the year.

I have no question some would. Who knows, maybe he is the type that would want to go to school for a year to get the BMOC treatment. I'm just saying the smart PR statement is to say what he said, even if he doesn't truly mean it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What 18 year old athletic phenom wouldn’t want to go to college?
One who wants to be a millionaire immediately instead of in a year or two?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Zion Williamson said he would still attend college if the one and done rule was abolished. It makes me question how many guys would go straight to the NBA once the rule is no more in a few years?

I can appreciate his comment but one wonders - would he really IF there was no one and done - easy to say when one isn't living it

Reaction Score
If you’re going to be a certain 1st round pick then you have to go.

Unfortunate fact is that NBA devalues a players draft stock the longer he stays in college. How many junior/seniors are drafted first round? None? A couple?

Point being that if there’s a solid chance you’ll be drafted first round then you have to declare. And if they get rid of the one and done rule, then those HS kids who’d get drafted 1st round must declare. Including Zion.

Reaction Score
They dont exactly lead poor lifestyles when they are in school for one year. Plus they get to be a very big fish in a very small pond relative to what being a rookie in the NBA is. I think I would do the year in college for fun (both on the court and off it) and then become a pro. These 5 star kids know they will be millionaires when they are in high school.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They dont exactly lead poor lifestyles when they are in school for one year. Plus they get to be a very big fish in a very small pond relative to what being a rookie in the NBA is. I think I would do the year in college for fun (both on the court and off it) and then become a pro. These 5 star kids know they will be millionaires when they are in high school.
I don't disagree, but it not like their isn't a viable economic reason to directly to the NBA for phenoms. A better argument for college may be that it will enhance your starting value for most kids.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Money can’t buy happiness! Just ask Rick Pitino!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom