One And Done or Best of Three | The Boneyard

One And Done or Best of Three

Reaction Score
Been saving this one for a slow week. One of the Big Dance's features is 1-and-done, all the waay from the round of 64 to the national championship. What would change if the championship was best-of-three? Or if the final four was round-robin?
We often hear that "Team X was just better that night ... ' or "Cold-shooting was the difference" or "the ref blew the game." To some, that is part of the charm. But the WNBA doesn't do it that way, and neither do a ;ot of other sports.
I'm agnostic on this one. But I'd love to hear what people who are smarter than me think,
And it IS a pretty slow week...

Reaction Score
They are students, not professionals. With a day of recovery between games?! It isn’t baseball.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
For me the whole idea of rising to the moment is a big part of the deal. Each individual, each team having their minds, bodies and spirits peak at that one moment in time is more compelling to me, especially at the amatuer level (the Olympics for example) than any extended series could be.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They are students, not professionals. With a day of recovery between games?! It isn’t baseball.
Kemba Walker and the 2011 Big East (and National) Champs say hello.
Probably take away a lot of the drama. A lot of the fun is the Cinderella stories. The upsets.
Same. 1 game everyone gives their best, coaches figure out how to attack specific teams, etc. It's just great drama.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Kemba Walker and the 2014 Big East (and National) Champs say hello.

Same. 1 game everyone gives their best, coaches figure out how to attack specific teams, etc. It's just great drama.
Nah, not even close to the same.

Reaction Score
Been saving this one for a slow week. One of the Big Dance's features is 1-and-done, all the waay from the round of 64 to the national championship. What would change if the championship was best-of-three? Or if the final four was round-robin?
We often hear that "Team X was just better that night ... ' or "Cold-shooting was the difference" or "the ref blew the game." To some, that is part of the charm. But the WNBA doesn't do it that way, and neither do a ;ot of other sports.
I'm agnostic on this one. But I'd love to hear what people who are smarter than me think,
Whether Professional or College kids---the proof is in being able to win 2 out of three. All the excuse (above) have been used : 2 out of 3, reduces the excuses.

Reaction Score
For me, one and done (tournament format, that is) is one of the main reasons why I like the NCAA over NBA/WNBA playoffs. I find best of series much more tedious, harder to follow, and less exciting. The Dance is the Dance because it only takes 40 minutes of magic for totally improbable things to happen. There's a reason why Cinderella never seems to show up in the pros.
The 2 out of there has the ability to attract more viewers and more WCBB fans. One and done is blaa. 2 out of three has more mystery and emotions tied to them. Anything, I say, to attract more viewers for any reason is required to the WCBB that then leads to more WNBA viewing. Too many people haven't seen the great BB these kids play.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Don't forget the WNBA early rounds are one and done. Does not feel satisfying at the pro level but works at the college level.

Reaction Score
Since income and lively hood is tied to playoff outcomes for the pros, it makes sense that multi-game series are needed to give some true sense as to which team is best. That is not required for amateur athletes (although you could argue that championships do affect marketability and draft position after college).

I don't think the NCAA tournament would be the same or generate as much interest if the upper championship rounds went to a "best of x games" format. It would drag the tournament out unless they reduce the number of teams which seems counter productive.

Reaction Score
Kemba Walker and the 2014 Big East (and National) Champs say hello.

Kemba was 2011. Baz was 2014.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't forget the WNBA early rounds are one and done. Does not feel satisfying at the pro level but works at the college level.
Yea, kinda agree there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kemba was 2011. Baz was 2014.
Thank you.gif

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The 2 out of there has the ability to attract more viewers and more WCBB fans. One and done is blaa. 2 out of three has more mystery and emotions tied to them. Anything, I say, to attract more viewers for any reason is required to the WCBB that then leads to more WNBA viewing. Too many people haven't seen the great BB these kids play.

What you say may be true. I have my doubts. The much bigger reality is with best 2 out of 3 there will not be a field of 64 teams. Based on 2 out of 3, you cut the field from 64 teams to 22.

A field of 22 teams is not going to draw more viewers. And it completely cuts out the mid majors.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

People definitely still complain about the refs/cold shooting in a game/etc. in 3-5 game series. I like the set up the way it is now, with 1 and done in college, best of 7 in the pros. Best of 3 takes away the "March Madness" feel to it. On the flip side for you guys, UCONN probably has (at least) 2 more titles hanging from 2017 and 2018 if it switched to best of 3.

Reaction Score

I think 2 out of 3 reduces the mystery and emotion. In most cases 2/3 reduces the chance of an upset and lowers the emotion. One of the great parts of the NCAA tourny is that chance for an upset. To use an example - on the men’s side last year UMBC upset VA, that would not have been the case if it was 2/3. The beauty of the tournament is the chance for lower seeds to move on.

The fact that it is 1 and done also magnifies the extraordinary feat of making it to 12 straight final fours.

Reaction Score
Let's face it. The NCAA tournament isn't about finding the best team--it's about finding the best team that night. Softball determines its college champion in double elimination. Do they play back to back? Yes. In the same day. The best team OF THE YEAR almost always emerges as a result.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Let's face it. The NCAA tournament isn't about finding the best team--it's about finding the best team that night. Softball determines its college champion in double elimination. Do they play back to back? Yes. In the same day. The best team OF THE YEAR almost always emerges as a result.

Probably true, but you still have to be playing your best while the World Series is going on. I don't think anybody predicted Florida St. was gonna win last year, and UCLA handled them in their opening game. They never lost after that point. Washington was down in the dumps after losing 6 straight to UCLA and Oregon late in the season, but rebounded and got to the Championship series against FSU. You could make the argument UW was the 3rd best team in the Pac 12 yet finished nationally as the runner up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom