Once Again, It's What Have You Done for Me Lately? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Once Again, It's What Have You Done for Me Lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
J187Money said:
He may very well admit he was wrong. I'm pretty sure he has, behind closed doors with his staff. I know that it would make everyone here feel better if he did it in front of a microphone, but I'm not sure what that really accomplishes. At the end of the day he either builds a winning program or he doesn't.

We are in agreement. I have no idea if he has or hasnt, but I don't have issue with him saying it privately. As long as he is aware, and learns from each mistake.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
"While UConn fans are acting like fans, with a typical overreaction following a loss, the Huskies are in a good place for the future."

^^^ ridiculous! The team was horribly prepared for Army, and it showed. The coaching staff failed to get calls and players into the huddle on time on numerous occassions. And we made Army look like Alabama. And not one "own it" moment from the head coach or coaching staff. Horse crap! He needs to man up...
Holy crap the sky must be falling! Dan is actually admitting that we are not in a good place and having some negativity?!?! WTF!! Come on Dan...it's the TURNAROUND! :p

Reaction Score
With every game, it is becoming more apparent that UConn should have hired Weist as HC. There is NO WAY that Weist loses to Army. This is the second straight time UConn had a choice between two candidates that wanted the job and picked the wrong one.

Diaco and staff are in over their heads in game prep, game coaching, clock management, offensive play calling, halftime adjustments, and pretty much every other aspect of coaching. I am not optimistic about recruiting either.

As I have also said before, I think Diaco will get better and there is nothing UConn can do about it anyway. I am pretty sure UConn can't afford the buyout, so we just have to hope for Diaco to get better.
I liked Weist and wouldn't have minded if they hired him for the head coaching job. With that said I was also happy they hired Diaco (would have also liked to see Weist remain as OC). What makes you think Weist woukd have done any better? And please don't say the three wins in a row cause they were against 3 terrible teams that ended up with a combined 7 wins on the season, not to mention they were with Cochran at the helm who i believe is a much better QB than Whitmer/Boyle (don't forget about the 41-12 loss to Buffalo, 41-16 loss to Cincinnati, 62-17 loss to UCF, 31-10 loss to Louisville and the 38-22 loss to SMU - we were killed in all the games I just mentioned).
Why are you not optimistic about the recruiting? I believe Diaco was the right hire-he was coming off winning the Broyles award at one of the biggest and most recognizable football programs in the country. While you may think that doesn't mean much, it does carry weight with recruits. So not only did he come from one of the biggest football programs in the country (and win the Broyles award), he also has ties to the NJ area which is huge for UConn recruiting since NJ has a lot of HS talent and since it's almost impossible for UConn to get high level recruits from the HS hothead states (FL, TX, CA , GA, PA, OH - we may get a kid here or there but we will never land a high recruit from those states).

Reaction Score
as was depicted many weeks ago, it appears braintrust was desperate for recruiting student athletes so they hired current coach but forgot about what traits are required once student athletes are on gridiron and poised to perform

fact is the "recruiting" factor in total equation is almost as big a gamble as the "lack of head coaching experience" factor in total performance tabulation

huskies have a coach who has recruiting experience but at notre dame where most student athletes stand in line hoping for a scholly and now this same gent is in huskyville where currently it's close to Yankee Conf ilk-this scene does not project well

since huskies used headhunter and paid said executive search consultancy big bucks it illustrates the dedication and effort by braintrust to hire the correct gent so for headhunter to present the candidates they did to decision makers and not take into account the "huge gambles" involved alot of blame is on consultants because it seems husky decision makers trusted their biggest sports money maker to them implicitly

Reaction Score
I liked Weist and wouldn't have minded if they hired him for the head coaching job. With that said I was also happy they hired Diaco (would have also liked to see Weist remain as OC). What makes you think Weist woukd have done any better? And please don't say the three wins in a row cause they were against 3 terrible teams that ended up with a combined 7 wins on the season, not to mention they were with Cochran at the helm who i believe is a much better QB than Whitmer/Boyle (don't forget about the 41-12 loss to Buffalo, 41-16 loss to Cincinnati, 62-17 loss to UCF, 31-10 loss to Louisville and the 38-22 loss to SMU - we were killed in all the games I just mentioned).
Why are you not optimistic about the recruiting? I believe Diaco was the right hire-he was coming off winning the Broyles award at one of the biggest and most recognizable football programs in the country. While you may think that doesn't mean much, it does carry weight with recruits. So not only did he come from one of the biggest football programs in the country (and win the Broyles award), he also has ties to the NJ area which is huge for UConn recruiting since NJ has a lot of HS talent and since it's almost impossible for UConn to get high level recruits from the HS hothead states (FL, TX, CA , GA, PA, OH - we may get a kid here or there but we will never land a high recruit from those states).

Yes, Weist beat terrible teams. Now, we lose to terrible teams. That makes us more terrible.

He wants to change the losing culture? Then game plan to win. Winning can be a good thing, right?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

What makes me think Weist would have been better? He won three in a row over three teams that clearly had some talent because all 3 have winning records this year. We are losing to teams like Tulane and Army now.

I know Diaco's resume. There are lots of great assistants that are not cut out to be Head Coaches. Ellis Johnson basically destroyed Southern Miss' football program.

BTW, Weist was not the coach against Buffalo, and Weist didn't have an off season to prepare. He turned the team around in midseason, short two coaches. And to be clear, Weist is not Nick Saban by any means, but he did the things good coaches do: put players in a position to succeed, make in game adjustments, build the game plan around the players' skills, get plays in on time, etc.

Reaction Score
Chap went after the headhunter again. All is right with the world.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

And we have lost this year to 3 teams with a combined 6 wins this year - Army Tulane and USF (they have a total of 9 but take away the 3 wins they have against UConn gives you 6) - with your logic Weist was better.
Weist didnt get to recruit so we cant compare his v.s. Diacos - moot point.
When you say winning the Broyles award is big with recruits - I am not sure that is a fact or something made up. I have yet to see a recruit say I love the coaches, the campus and the fact the HC won the Broyles Award with the nations best LB and a top ten recruiting class.

I dont get the LOVE that goes with this Broyles Award to be honest - past winners
Pat Narduzzi - MIch St - Still an Asst Coach
Bob Diacco - Notre Dame - UConn HC
John Chavis - LSU - Still an Asst Coach
Gus Malzahn - Auburn - HC Auburn (he was on the fast track well before his Broyle Award - he was well known in the region as a genius on offense as a High School coach
Kirby Smart - Alabama - Still an Asst Coach
Kevin Wilson - Okla - HC Indiana - 10-26 in 4 years - this year Rivals has his recruiting class at 77 and UConn at 79
Jim Heacock - Ohio State - Not in coaching - not retained when Urban Meyer took over program
Bud Foster - Va Tech - Still an Asst Coach

Some people are just good assistants - some people are good HC - time will tell but no weight for winning a Broyles in my opinion.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Holy crap the sky must be falling! Dan is actually admitting that we are not in a good place and having some negativity?!?! WTF!! Come on Dan...it's the TURNAROUND! :p

What I didn't fully appreciate is that when you perform a full turnaround, you are right back where you started... :(

Reaction Score
And we have lost this year to 3 teams with a combined 6 wins this year - Army Tulane and USF (they have a total of 9 but take away the 3 wins they have against UConn gives you 6) - with your logic Weist was better.
Weist didnt get to recruit so we cant compare his v.s. Diacos - moot point.
When you say winning the Broyles award is big with recruits - I am not sure that is a fact or something made up. I have yet to see a recruit say I love the coaches, the campus and the fact the HC won the Broyles Award with the nations best LB and a top ten recruiting class.

I dont get the LOVE that goes with this Broyles Award to be honest - past winners
Pat Narduzzi - MIch St - Still an Asst Coach
Bob Diacco - Notre Dame - UConn HC
John Chavis - LSU - Still an Asst Coach
Gus Malzahn - Auburn - HC Auburn (he was on the fast track well before his Broyle Award - he was well known in the region as a genius on offense as a High School coach
Kirby Smart - Alabama - Still an Asst Coach
Kevin Wilson - Okla - HC Indiana - 10-26 in 4 years - this year Rivals has his recruiting class at 77 and UConn at 79
Jim Heacock - Ohio State - Not in coaching - not retained when Urban Meyer took over program
Bud Foster - Va Tech - Still an Asst Coach

Some people are just good assistants - some people are good HC - time will tell but no weight for winning a Broyles in my opinion.
The bad teams you mentioned we lost to (USF has 4 wins, and Army and Tulane have 3 each I believe) so if you take away our wins they have 7 wins not 6 but with more games to go so you can't say by my logic Weist is better. You are also missing that we had much better QB play than we have had this yr (Cochran was playing very well the games he started). We also lost our best defensive player and had injuries on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. I tend to believe if you are a HS kid that you would prefer to play for a former coordinator at a big name program who won an award of being the best assistant coach in college football over one that has not been at a big time program and has not received such an award.

Reaction Score
I tend to believe if you are a HS kid that you would prefer to play for a former coordinator at a big name program who won an award of being the best assistant coach in college football over one that has not been at a big time program and has not received such an award.
This statement is proof you know nothing about Weist.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
The bad teams you mentioned we lost to (USF has 4 wins, and Army and Tulane have 3 each I believe) so if you take away our wins they have 7 wins not 6 but with more games to go so you can't say by my logic Weist is better.

When I made my post USF had 3 - dont be such a dork...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom