On whupping non-D1 teams | The Boneyard

On whupping non-D1 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't know if anyone else has noticed that so many mid-majors (at best) are playing a lot of regular season games against non-D1 teams. These games count for their record, but not for RPI purposes - of course, these teams all play in 1 bid conferences so that isn't an issue, and I guess getting these teams as visitors is cheaper than other D1, and less risky for the win / loss.

Folks made a lot out of Maryland whupping on poor teams from other divisions as exhibition games.

I offer this score from Friday - Central Arkansas 102, Crowleys Ridge 31

I should point out that it can still be risky - Coastal Carolina whupped on someone called Pfeiffer (won by 42) on Friday, but earlier in the week actually lost (by 5 points) to Catawba

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I offer this score from Friday - Central Arkansas 102, Crowleys Ridge 31

I should point out that it can still be risky - Coastal Carolina whupped on someone called Pfeiffer (won by 42) on Friday, but earlier in the week actually lost (by 5 points) to Catawba

Thats what happens when you mess with the mighty Indians of Catawba :mad:

Ive been on Pfeiffer's campus many moons ago.... its a small methodist affiliated school about 30 minutes east of Charlotte.

I wonder what Central Arkansas title aspirations are. I also wonder if they had a recruiting class like Frese whether they'd reconsider their OOC.

You dont remember the mighty Sugar Bears of Central Arkansas ? :eek: They made the NCAA tourney last year

Reaction Score
Everybody plays patsies at start of year..... it is way for better teams to better guage their new rosters.... I don't see difference between bad D1 teams and D2 teams..... they are all bad in my opinion.... and a result score which is not flattering......

Once in a great while you get a Chaminade vs Virginia.... but that is rare....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There are certainly some top D2 and even top D3 schools that are better and much better coached than the very bottom of the D1 pool, but it does seem a little strange. Some of it may be local and or person friendships between coaches. I remember a few years ago I think Rutgers ended up playing a D2 game because they had a hole in their schedule that they couldn't find a D1 team to fill and that I can understand as well. Uconn generally doesn't have an issue finding teams to play, but I can imagine some of the lesser lights of D1 might find it difficult to get a full home schedule filled with D1 teams. Lots of P5 will offer them a road game but balk at a return match.

Uconn/Marist (when they were really good) was something a few people wondered about, but Uconn wasn't interested in playing at Marist and the Marist coach was making a stand about not scheduling single road games. (Good for him!) If Marist had been located in a different area, Uconn likely would have had a different response, but they didn't see any 'new exposure' in playing 100 miles from home in their home recruiting market.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Oregon, today, plays NAIA Vanguard Lions(one of my favorite teams to watch).
Vanguard is coached by Russ Davis, who coached KLS on her AAU team, Cal Swish.
Not sure why it is on the schedule at this time.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There are certainly some top D2 and even top D3 schools that are better and much better coached than the very bottom of the D1 pool, but it does seem a little strange. Some of it may be local and or person friendships between coaches. I remember a few years ago I think Rutgers ended up playing a D2 game because they had a hole in their schedule that they couldn't find a D1 team to fill and that I can understand as well. Uconn generally doesn't have an issue finding teams to play, but I can imagine some of the lesser lights of D1 might find it difficult to get a full home schedule filled with D1 teams. Lots of P5 will offer them a road game but balk at a return match.
Yes, I suspect that's a lot of it. What makes it so strange is -
- we are talking a lot of games. Up to 6 or 7 a couple times, 3 for example on the day I was looking at.
- it isn't the P5 teams doing it, or even (for the most part) what we conceive of higher level mid-majors. I can't help but think money figures into it.
- there is no evidence from the scores I've seen that the D2/D3 teams involved have (for the most part) good coaching or talented players.

Rutgers did play Kean a number of years ago as you mention. They were among the better teams at their level, although RU crushed them. IIRC, the other lower division team Rutgers played in-season (from Long Island) was an "exhibition", one of the 2 they were permitted.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Knightsbridge - I suspect home v. road is the bigger issue than money because I don't think there is much money involved with those low level D1 teams - they probably are able to line up x number of home and home with fellow 'no hopers', and then do three or so road 'get your butt kicked for some cash' games, but if they want to balance those road only games they have to come up with a few 'home' only games and no one is likely to do them that complement unless it is a big team doing a home game for a senior. UC Davis for example for KML.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Thats what happens when you mess with the mighty Indians of Catawba :mad:

Ive been on Pfeiffer's campus many moons ago.... its a small methodist affiliated school about 30 minutes east of Charlotte.

You dont remember the mighty Sugar Bears of Central Arkansas ? :eek: They made the NCAA tourney last year
Break up the Bears.

Reaction Score
There's a mid-major that plays one of the toughest non-conference schedules in all of WCBB, and they've already beaten FSU and Baylor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom