On this Memorial Day weekend | The Boneyard

On this Memorial Day weekend

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Watching all these WW2 movies I am reminded again how young (18+years old) these young men were. Yet today we call bb players this age kids. Make me so proud of the fact that I am part of the greatest generation.

Had no idea you were in your 90s. Congrats on a long life (and knowing how to use the internet, lol).

Reaction Score
Been cleaning out my Grandfather’s house this weekend ,he passed away last month from Covid at 95.

He was a turret ball gunner in WW2 we found all his medals, uniform and paperwork he got with orders and instructions while he was in the service.

He was also a UConn graduate, went for chicken farming, and was a die hard men’s and women basketball fan so going through all his UConn stuff too.

Reaction Score
Watching all these WW2 movies I am reminded again how young (18+years old) these young men were. Yet today we call bb players this age kids. Make me so proud of the fact that I am part of the greatest generation.

The average age of allied soldiers for operation overlord (normandy landings) was 20, youngest soldier was 16. That’s tough to swallow.

Reaction Score
Been cleaning out my Grandfather’s house this weekend ,he passed away last month from Covid at 95.

He was a turret ball gunner in WW2 we found all his medals, uniform and paperwork he got with orders and instructions while he was in the service.

He was also a UConn graduate, went for chicken farming, and was a die hard men’s and women basketball fan so going through all his UConn stuff too.

With all the preppers in the world these days and all the ones to come after the Covid outbreak, chicken farming may once again become an in demand major.

Reaction Score
I remember like 15 years ago at Guiffrieda park seeing an old guy sitting on a bench just enjoying the weather so i went over and sat down and started talking with him. He revealed he served in the pacific fixing planes and i thanked him for his service and being one of the many heroes who helped save the world and he appreciated it but said he was no hero. The heroes were the men who fought and those who died. He said he never engaged in combat and "just fixed planes so boys could fight". I still respectfully disagree. He was a hero in my eyes.

Reaction Score

Great legacy!

Reaction Score
At 82, I thought I was the oldest around here. Guess not. My mom's kid brother went ashore on D-Day and lived to tell about it, although he never actually said much. He used to say (might have been a quote he'd heard somewhere) -- "There are memories I choose not to live with, but we hang out at the same bar."

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Making it to your 80s is something to celebrate; you've already beaten the odds. I'd like to think there actually is some 92 year old lurking around here who actually does represent the greatest generation.

One of the things I always think about on Memorial & Veterans Day are the old vets who were ambassadors/guides to the USS Intrepid whenever there was an event. I've had the chance to talk to a few since I was in the events biz and hosted several receptions on board Intrepid. They had stories, including from battles where the ship was damaged. I could listen to them all night. Sadly, I don't think there are any crewmen left.

Reaction Score
When my late mother-in-law was briefly in a nursing home I ran into to this guy in his 90’s wearing a 101st Airborne hat. Because I have friends from that Div . I engaged him .
He was a paratrooper on D day but never saw much action there . He did tell me he was shot at the Bsttle of the Bulge. He had field surgery which required 150 stitches to close but the only thing he was proud of was they did it without anesthesia. I hugged that.guy.The greatest generation

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
If any of you Yarders hasn't seen the documentary The Cold Blue I highly recommend it. The movie focuses on the B17 bomber and the men aboard. Truly amazing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom