On the Importance of Crystal | The Boneyard

On the Importance of Crystal

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After the first few games last year, Crystal looked like a top pg in the nation. But then came her season long battle with shin splints, and we never quite saw the Crystal Dangerfield that we had all hoped for. She was limited in practice and games, and that impacted not only Crystal’s performance but also her teammates who hardly ever practiced with her. Hopefully, with a steady regimen of stretching, ice, compression and possibly some changes in diet, Crystal’s shin splints are a thing of the past.

As for this season, it’s far too soon to draw many conclusions from one game. There were a number of things to like about Sunday’s game vs tOSU and there were a number of things to be concerned about. One conclusion that I will make is that this year, UConn will go as far as Crystal Dangerfield takes them.

While Crystal had a relatively solid game against the Buckeyes, there were several things that stood out to me. Crystal played stronger and was more explosive than last year. She was playing a much more physical game, particularly on defense, which, at 5’6”, can be painful when your face is at the same level as most players elbows.

Crystal was absolutely in control on offense Sunday, much more so than last year. Clearly UConn plans to run this season, and as soon as any of Crystal’s teammates pull down a defensive rebound or secure a turnover, the ball invariably ends up in Crystal’s hands to lead the break, much as it did when Mo was running the show for the Huskies.

In addition to leading the break, Crystal barked out commands to her teammates moving them around the court like chess pieces and displayed a “motor” that the Energizer Bunny would be hard pressed to match. With the ball in her hands, Crystal can beat just about anyone in the country off the dribble. As a result, more so than her teammates, Crystal can get her shot almost any time she wants, like at the end of the game, with the score tied, in a national semifinal.

Crystal has more moves than Allied Van Lines. She put her defender in the “spin cycle” on several explosive drives to the basket Sunday. She can get into the lane for a quick, pull-up jump shot or drop a dime on one of her teammates if a secondary defender rotates after Crystal blows by her primary defender. She has this funky little running one-handed bank shot from either side of the basket, that I’m sure she developed as a youngster playing against much bigger players. Crystal’s 3 from the arc, off the dribble with a 6’4” Buckeye trying to guard her was a thing of beauty.

Yes, this team has two senior AA’s, who have both stepped up as strong leaders this season. But make no mistake about it, on the court this is Crystal’s team. If UConn manages to secure their 12th banner this season, they will depend heavily on their 5’6” pg to lead them to the championship.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Every story needs a picture:

1542117941272.png

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
She looked great with the ball in her hands but did make two terrible turnovers.

She has some swagger and her stop and pop will stun most opponents, like a dagger in her waistband with which she stabs them in the heart (figuratively, of course). :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She looked great with the ball in her hands but did make two terrible turnovers.

She has some swagger and her stop and pop will stun most opponents, like a dagger in her waistband with which she stabs them in the heart (figuratively, of course). :D
Crystal’s A/TO ratio was pretty pedestrian 4/4. I’m certain it will get much better. Outside of that, I liked everything about her game.

Reaction Score
After the first few games last year, Crystal looked like a top pg in the nation. But then came her season long battle with shin splints, and we never quite saw the Crystal Dangerfield that we had all hoped for. She was limited in practice and games, and that impacted not only Crystal’s performance but also her teammates who hardly ever practiced with her. Hopefully, with a steady regimen of stretching, ice, compression and possibly some changes in diet, Crystal’s shin splints are a thing of the past.

As for this season, it’s far too soon to draw many conclusions from one game. There were a number of things to like about Sunday’s game vs tOSU and there were a number of things to be concerned about. One conclusion that I will make is that this year, UConn will go as far as Crystal Dangerfield takes them.

While Crystal had a relatively solid game against the Buckeyes, there were several things that stood out to me. Crystal played stronger and was more explosive than last year. She was playing a much more physical game, particularly on defense, which, at 5’6”, can be painful when your face is at the same level as most players elbows.

Crystal was absolutely in control on offense Sunday, much more so than last year. Clearly UConn plans to run this season, and as soon as any of Crystal’s teammates pull down a defensive rebound or secure a turnover, the ball invariably ends up in Crystal’s hands to lead the break, much as it did when Mo was running the show for the Huskies.

In addition to leading the break, Crystal barked out commands to her teammates moving them around the court like chess pieces and displayed a “motor” that the Energizer Bunny would be hard pressed to match. With the ball in her hands, Crystal can beat just about anyone in the country off the dribble. As a result, more so than her teammates, Crystal can get her shot almost any time she wants, like at the end of the game, with the score tied, in a national semifinal.

Crystal has more moves than Allied Van Lines. She put her defender in the “spin cycle” on several explosive drives to the basket Sunday. She can get into the lane for a quick, pull-up jump shot or drop a dime on one of her teammates if a secondary defender rotates after Crystal blows by her primary defender. She has this funky little running one-handed bank shot from either side of the basket, that I’m sure she developed as a youngster playing against much bigger players. Crystal’s 3 from the arc, off the dribble with a 6’4” Buckeye trying to guard her was a thing of beauty.

Yes, this team has two senior AA’s, who have both stepped up as strong leaders this season. But make no mistake about it, on the court this is Crystal’s team. If UConn manages to secure their 12th banner this season, they will depend heavily on their 5’6” pg to lead them to the championship.
I agree. This is why I saw CD as player of the game in the UConn vs tOSU game. I know this is a post about CD, but I'd like to reinforce oldude's position by expressing how important it is to have a dominant point guard. Oregon State has that point guard in Destiny Slocum this year. Having now seen Destiny Slocum live,in person, 2 games this season, I only wish Oregon State had Destiny in the NCAA playoffs last year. CD really impressed me in the last game. I agree with everything oldude stated, and, that if CD is healthy all year, UConn fans have a great season in front of them.

Reaction Score
Agreed @olddude she is the key as we pretty much know what we will get out of the two AA’s. Health will be vital w/ this short bench now more than ever.

That being said, I like what I saw out of Coombs in terms of a 6- man. Wish we could have seen more of ONO but obviously Geno wasn’t happy with her effort in the 3rd.

Reaction Score

Spin Cycle, Energizer bunny, etc. WoW! Crystal was important to UConn last season, have no doubt about that. Courage seems to run rampant with this team. I believe, as you do, that Uconn's fate is tied by heart strings to Crystal Dangerfield. That is one big big reason Geno has been talking up Coombs; he/we need her to be an effective sub for Crystal. If we are honest we may say: Uconn will go as far as Coombs relief of Danger shall allow. Meaning: A rested, uninjured Danger may lead the way to the next (12th) NC. Coombs will not, at this stage, provide transparent leadership (if ever) but someone must allow Danger or KLS or Napheesa to rest very weary bone and muscles.

Reaction Score
Crystal has shown the ability to not only run the offense, but hopefully hit the deep n midrange shot consistently, which is crucial because she was streaky last year. However, her ability to create her own shot is something we desperately need as basically a 4 guard offense. We struggle with more aggressive teams, and not having someone to really create and draw the defense really stymied us for large segments of the Notre Dame and MSST losses. I'm sure this why Geno loves Christyn much. Ariel doesn't make Notre Dame so dangerous with her shooting, we know she's not consistent, but she can get her own shot and get to the line. Jackie Young showed us her ability to do that as well, she burned us in that FF game. I hope Crystal, Christyn and Megan put that aggression on display regularly, in tight games when shots aren't falling that could be all the difference in April.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Over the past few days, another BY’er had noted that during most of UConn’s championship seasons, the player running the offense was an AA pg or combo guard: Jen, Shea, Sue, DT, Bria, Mo, etc. It would be fantastic if we could add Crystal’s name to that list at the end of this season.

Reaction Score
CD is a great point guard and this team is her's to lead - on offense. However, the most spectacular of spin moves will not create rebounding, the lack of which will kill Uconn when we face a team with skilled "bigs," and a bench that can do more than handle mop up duty.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
No doubt, Crystal is a huge factor in the success of this team.
What bothers me is,(God forbid) that she, at some time, is not available. Who will be the point guard.? I cannot see leaving her in the game with a 30 point lead in the last quarter.
That is the time to groom a backup.

Reaction Score
Every time I saw Crystal all I could think about was I can't wait until she gets a chance to play against Moriah. I am looking forward to that battle. Of course I will need a TV with a slow motion playback.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We're in for a treat this season. We get to see Crystal and Christyn play together all year. Can't wait for them to gel, and begin to play off each other. :cool:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
If Liv can gradually get up to speed, she'll be the beneficiary of some sweet CD dishes.

Crystal likes nothing better than to work the pick and roll with a true 'big' like Natalie or Z --btw, she was looking for Phee to roll the other night and ended up making a floating jump-pass to no one in particular ! Oops! :p

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Liv can gradually get up to speed, she'll be the beneficiary of some sweet CD dishes.

Crystal likes nothing better than to work the pick and roll with a true 'big' like Natalie or Z --btw, she was looking for Phee to roll the other night and ended up making a floating jump-pass to no one in particular ! Oops! :p
Yes! I am looking forward to the time when Crystal and Liv execute a perfect pick and roll with Crystal dropping a dime on Liv in stride on her way to the hoop; one big stride and a slam. It should make ESPN's top plays.

Reaction Score
Has there been any word on Crystal's injury to her nose ... it looked pretty bad and I don't think she returned to the OSU game afterwards.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Has there been any word on Crystal's injury to her nose ... it looked pretty bad and I don't think she returned to the OSU game afterwards.
Considering that the beat reporters are always hanging around UConn practices looking for information, in this instance, no news is good news.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Considering that the beat reporters are always hanging around UConn practices looking for information, in this instance, no news is good news.

I think I recall the announcers joking that it's a right of passage to get your nose whacked and UConn point guards do well with face guards.;)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

But not so many as there used to be ... :oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom