On Geno and the available Psychology in the UCF game | The Boneyard

On Geno and the available Psychology in the UCF game

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Clever, Very, Very Clever.

What a great opportunity:

UCONN with the best first six in the country simply can't buy a basket, are a bit out of sync and as we all know will eventually win this game by more that 30 points.

Soo, opportunity knocks: the best starting five in the country are struggling and when the sixth (Z) comes in and begins to lead the way out of the rabbit hole; Geno fixes that by taking her off the floor. Result - back to struggling for the starting five.

And it went like that for the entire first half.

Sooo, he roasts them at halftime. Luckily for everyone, this was confined to those poorly performing starters. He emphasized his displeasure by sending them back to the floor without any chance to take warm-up and puts a cherry on int by coming to the bench after they were on the floor to start the second half.

Psychology, Psychology, Psychology.

Genius, Genius, PURE GENIUS!

Here's why:

Geno was quick to take advantage of the VERY rare opportunity when the best starting five in the country are a bit out of sync and missing shots, layups and free throws left, right and right.

Here's what everyone is thinking as the second half starts:
Geno: Love it, Love it, LOVE IT!

The starting 5: Play our game, make good passes, no turnovers, take and make the good shot, box out, etc., etc...

The bench: Thank god it's not me. When I go in the game, I'm going to do all the things that Coach is going on (and on) about.

Result:

Starting five: Came out of their funk and delivered as per usual

Bench: Played great in their cameo five minutes at the end and earned praise all around

Geno: Desired result achieved and inwardly, you have to know that he is Smiling.​

Conclusion:

Redemption for everyone.

Aaaagh! The "Psychology" of it all.....

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Watching the game in person last night, the third quarter wasn't much better than the first two until Gabby's steal and layup. The best minutes of the game (and possibly the most consistent minutes) were possibly when the bench players were in during the last five minutes of the game.

I think it was Gabby's determination more than Geno's psychology that got the game turned around, as he acknowledged after the game.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score

UCONN with the best first six in the country simply can't buy a basket, are a bit out of sync and as we all know will eventually win this game by more that 30 points.

Soo, opportunity knocks: the best starting five in the country are struggling and when the sixth (Z) comes in and begins to lead the way out of the rabbit hole; Geno fixes that by taking her off the floor. Result - back to struggling for the starting five.

Sooo, he roasts them at halftime. Luckily for everyone, this was confined to those poorly performing starters. He emphasized his displeasure by sending them back to the floor without any chance to take warm-up and puts a cherry on int by coming to the bench after they were on the floor to start the second half.

Here's why:

Geno was quick to take advantage of the VERY rare opportunity when the best starting five in the country are a bit out of sync and missing shots, layups and free throws left, right and right.

The starting 5: Play our game, make good passes, no turnovers, take and make the good shot, box out, etc., etc...

The bench: Thank god it's not me. When I go in the game, I'm going to do all the things that Coach is going on (and on) about.

Result:

Bench: Played great in their cameo five minutes at the end and earned praise all around

Geno: Desired result achieved and inwardly, you have to know that he is Smiling.​

Conclusion:

Redemption for everyone.

I would love a pair of your rose colored glasses

Reaction Score
Coaches get either too much credit or too much blame for the game or the performance of the game. Geno is a good coach but he is hardly the cause for the starting live having problems in the first half. May be having Nykesha Sales on UCF staff with a pretty good new head coach put some fire into UCF, not to mention that UCF football team just won the Peach Bowl and went on 13-0 for the year. It just seemed to me that UConn settled down in the second half and UCF just got tired, that resulted in the blow out. Geno probably screamed at the players during the half time break but that was hard to assess as plenty of coaches screamed at their players with negative results.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree it was some psychology, but not quite the way you explained it. Rather the psychology was being able to overcome the physicality and reffing (which the players didn't like.) This was a course in adjusting and playing through. Everything isn't always going to go your way...so what are you going to do? They responded. I agree I think he'll be pleased over all, but he can still take that 1st half and use it again later.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I agree it was some psychology, but not quite the way you explained it. Rather the psychology was being able to overcome the physicality and reffing (which the players didn't like.) This was a course in adjusting and playing through. Everything isn't always going to go your way...so what are you going to do? They responded. I agree I think he'll be pleased over all, but he can still take that 1st half and use it again later.
And use it pretty soon. Like when UConn goes to SoCar.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
There was no offensive flow. That can happen against athletic teams playing at a lower skill level but willing to compete. UConn also seemed out of sync, in part due to the defense, and it seemed like there were a lot of really strange low percentage passes by UConn, unusually bad decision-making. We also missed a lot of shots we typically make.

But our defense was very good throughout, although Geno called Z out for some miscues on the defensive end.

UConn players apparently didn`t much like the physical play and lack of calls, and Geno`s halftime "comments" were apparently focused on getting them to deal with it and play through it. Very bizarre coming out of the locker room with no time for any warmup shots at all. They should have let the fans take some shots.

I was there, though, and I gotta say I was also frustrated by the Dee Kantner-led officiating crew. They are really good at calling the touch fouls that may be impeding the offensive player`s progress, and I am good with that. But wow, they missed some really blatant physical stuff from UCF out there, takedowns, shoves, etc. I don`t like whistle blowing contests either, but there has to be a happy medium.

Despite all of that, UConn managed to put 80 points on the board and hold the opponent to 44. So, hard to be too critical.

The silver lining is that this is good training for UConn for upcoming games. Pretty sure Texas on January 15 will be a physical slog.

Reaction Score

Here's why:

Result:

Conclusion:

Redemption for everyone.

If psychology is such a precise science, there would have no problems left in the current world. :)

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Don't forget TX who I think is at least as big an obstacle as SC.
But their style of play isn't walk it up, use up the clock, shoot from the midrange, and play physical on defense. That's SEC ball.

Reaction Score
Despite all of that, UConn managed to put 80 points on the board and hold the opponent to 44. So, hard to be too critical.
Agreed. Indeed, could easily have been 90+ points if UConn's basket didn't have a lid on it in the 1st half. Going from memory, I think I saw at least 5 shots from close range that just wouldn't go in. Couple that with just a few more made FTs, and the final score could have been low 90s. Pretty remarkable given how things looked 5 minutes into the 3rd Qtr. Of course, the missed buckets should be attributable (at least in part) to UCF's defensive, getting UConn "out of sync" (whatever that means), and so on.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
But their style of play isn't walk it up, use up the clock, shoot from the midrange, and play physical on defense. That's SEC ball.

True (except Miss St who is the team I think is the biggest threat of all).

JordyG

Reaction Score
True (except Miss St who is the team I think is the biggest threat of all).
No doubt. But up until now SoCar has had their number. We'll see.

Reaction Score

Here's why:

Result:

Conclusion:

Redemption for everyone.

Another view. Team played the same great defense in 2nd half as first. Not taking anything away from Gabby, but didn't see much difference on defense between halves. On offense, 2nd half, shots went in that in 1st half bounced around and out. Geno one of the great coaches ever but wonder if we are giving him extra credit.

Reaction Score
I am the biggest Geno fan there is. Bobby Knight called Geno one of the best basketball minds , men's or womens' of all time, I agree. But I thought last night he was especially cranky. Z had 19 points /10 rebounds off the bench and he went after her in his press conference, brutally
I get the tough "Love" , but couldn't that be done in his office and not on TV?
I think we forget that these young ladies are Full Time students first, and basketball players second.
How would he have reacted if we won by only, 25 points?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Of course, the missed buckets should be attributable (at least in part) to UCF's defensive, getting UConn "out of sync" (whatever that means), and so on.

"Out of sync" is to be contrasted with "in sync", which means "in a state in which two or more people or things move or happen together at the same time and speed."

"In sync", on the other hand, should not be confused with "Nsync", an American boy band formed in Orlando, Florida in 1995.

nsync.jpg

JordyG

Reaction Score
but couldn't that be done in his office and not on TV?

Nope. Not his style. Not ever. His players are always the worst he's ever seen. Until they're one of the best ever. From Maya Moore couldn't guard a chair, to Lou has no heart. As a player you understand this. If you want something else go and play elsewhere with his blessing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom