On ESPN Classic Now- 1996 UConn vs Tennessee Final Four | The Boneyard

On ESPN Classic Now- 1996 UConn vs Tennessee Final Four

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This one didn't go the way we wanted, but it was one of the best WCBB games of all time. I highly suggest watching it if you haven't seen it or haven't seen it in a while.

ESPN Classic has finally stopped broadcasting old college football games and will be broadcasting Lady Vols games from now and all day tomorrow.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
That was a great game. Kara fouling out was obviously huge. Sales hit a hell of a shot to send it to OT, but UConn didn't have enough left. Michelle Marciniak has a smug look on her face at the end, like, "We finally beat those girls."

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Other than the Stanford semifinal on 1995, does Kara have any really huge games on her resume? Did she not also foul out in UConn's loss to Tennessee in the 1997 Elite 8 game? At 6'7" is it too much to believe that she could have/should have been more dominant on both ends?
Her height notwithstanding, she was considered a project out of high school. Kara was certainly not an elite athlete. She was, however, a two-time AP first team AA, two-time BET MOP, and a NPOY winner. She's #6 all-time on UConn's scoring list, and four of the five players ahead of her (Taurasi, Charles, Moore, and Sales) were high school national #1 recruits. I don't think we could have asked for much more from her.

Reaction Score
Her height notwithstanding, she was considered a project out of high school. Kara was certainly not an elite athlete. She was, however, a two-time AP first team AA, two-time BET MOP, and a NPOY winner. She's #6 all-time on UConn's scoring list, and four of the five players ahead of her (Taurasi, Charles, Moore, and Sales) were high school national #1 recruits. I don't think we could have asked for much more from her.

Agreed. Ms Wolters was a very successful UConn project.
BTW: Ms Wolters and Ms Sales were the difference in that first ever meeting with Tennessee. I think Wolters caught the Tennessee braintrust by surprise. They seemed ready for her after that.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Agreed. Ms Wolters was a very successful UConn project.
BTW: Ms Wolters and Ms Sales were the difference in that first ever meeting with Tennessee. I think Wolters caught the Tennessee braintrust by surprise. They seemed ready for her after that.

As I recall Tara VanDerveer said some very unflattering things about Kara and the UConn team as well - before the '95 final 4. I hope she enjoyed eating those words.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
ESPN Classic just showed the 2000 regular season game at Gampel which Tenn won 72-21. Great game, one of the very best in the rivalry. It was after this game that Kara Lawson mugged for the camera saying "we're number 1." Tenn didn't become #1 after that game, nor did it become #1 after the NCAA championship game in Philadelphia a month later.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think you meant "72-71" (for the score of the Gampel game).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom