On Campus Stadium | The Boneyard

On Campus Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Ok, I know this has been debated before but I am fairly new to the board so I wanted to throw the question out there to see if anyone has any inside scoop or if it would ever become a reality again.

1) Is it even possible to put a stadium on campus, if so where?
2) When is UCONN's lease up at the rent?
3) Road Structure, it was discussed before the roads can not handle the traffic volume. How do they fix that? Can it be fixed?
4) What size? 55k? Cost?
5) Was a feasibility study done on whether this could even happen?

I am sure it would bring much more excitement on campus for students, their families, friends, faculty and of course BLEED BLUE NATION!! I hope once all this conference jumping is all said and done, that UCONN will look at this as their next project, unless their are others in front like a new soccer, ice hockey arena? A new or remolded Gampel Pavilion?

Thanks for any input everyone!

Reaction Score
400_F_35022951_RPr4RoEsESKfl5QzLKJW6m9WoN9VV5Um.jpg

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I suggest reposting in 30 years when, maybe, the Rent has seen it's useful life conclude.

It's a nice sentiment, but really not in the cards any sooner.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes I'm sure the crowd would be better if they were 20 miles east. It's probably got something to do with the magnetic poles.

Reaction Score
I predict there will be a new 20k seat on campus arena built on the site of the Burton/Shenkman complexes by 2025 in the in the vein of what Houston and Tulane have built to adjust to life among the have-nots. The garage in that area will add a few levels to accomodate. Possibly knock down Gampel and the Champions Center as well and play basketball home games at EO Smith.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
It's a lock. The stadium will be on campus just as soon as they move the whole campus to East Hartford.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The stadium will be on campus when UConn reverts to FCS status or when UConn wins a National Championship.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The stadium will be built right next to the 384 exit at the Depot campus, when 384 is finally extended from Hartford to Providence. Which given the way this country deals with infrastructure, will be in about, oh, 80 years.

The younguns on the board might live long enough to see it!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Well that's something that you can't unsee.

Possibly the most disturbing post ever by you. Congratulations, sir, on upping your game.

Last edited:

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
This thread legitimately made me laugh out loud. Gotta love the Boneyard, we got smartasses!

Reaction Score
Read the timeline here. It was doable and the politicians (Rowland) screwed it up. In retrospect it should have gone on campus, but nobody believed we would pull of the move to D1. The site in E. Hartford became available.

http://articles.courant.com/2012-08...uconn-and-villanova-uconn-athletic-director/2

Nov. 25, 1997
After virtually promising UConn it would have an on-campus stadium, Rowland announces he will not call a special session to approve finding for a $107 million stadium in Storrs. ``I'm sad for the university ,'' Ritter says. ``This is going to be a day that we will regret for a very long time.'' Says Perkins: ``I think we've taken it as far as we can at this point. We've been talking about this thing five or six years now.''

Reaction Score
Read the timeline here. It was doable and the politicians (Rowland) screwed it up. In retrospect it should have gone on campus, but nobody believed we would pull of the move to D1. The site in E. Hartford became available.

http://articles.courant.com/2012-08...uconn-and-villanova-uconn-athletic-director/2

Nov. 25, 1997
After virtually promising UConn it would have an on-campus stadium, Rowland announces he will not call a special session to approve finding for a $107 million stadium in Storrs. ``I'm sad for the university ,'' Ritter says. ``This is going to be a day that we will regret for a very long time.'' Says Perkins: ``I think we've taken it as far as we can at this point. We've been talking about this thing five or six years now.''

Rowland called it off because he didn't have the votes. It wasn't his fault (thou he has proven to have very many faults) that the Democrats in the legislature decided to kill it.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
noeynox said:
For years I thought your handle was cornhuskbask, as in cornhuskers. Well I'll be damned.
I thought the same at first. I also thought upstater was upstarter for the longest time. Lol

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
For years I thought your handle was cornhuskbask, as in cornhuskers. Well I'll be damned.

Lol, I could very easily see how that could be the case. Must have thought why is this Nebraska hoops fan so interested in UConn football!

Reaction Score
Lol, I could very easily see how that could be the case. Must have thought why is this Nebraska hoops fan so interested in UConn football!
We have Penn State and ND football fans who moonlight as UConn BB fans, so yeah, I honestly thought you had it backwards cheering for Nebraska BB and UConn FB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom