On Campus Covid 19 Labs | The Boneyard

On Campus Covid 19 Labs

Reaction Score
....I wonder if this is the way more campuses will roll?

Gary Ostrander, FSU's vice president for research, updated the panel on the university's plans to open its own COVID-19 testing center in the very near future. Ostrander said a suitable facility in Innovation Park was recently acquired and is already being remodeled into a laboratory-type space.

Next week, he said, the school will begin receiving shipments of several PCR diagnostic machines, other lab equipment and reagents to be used in the testing process.

What that means is COVID tests, which currently have to be sent to other cities and states to be processed -- and often take 48 hours or longer for results -- may now be completed in the same day.

FSU President John Thrasher said that will be the key to the university allowing students to return to campus this fall, and Coburn added that it will be equally important for a successful return of athletics.

"My opinion, based on everything I've read and understand, is that the testing lab that we will create at Florida State University is critical to being successful when we come back in the fall," Thrasher told the board. "We have to be able to test, we have to be able to trace, and we have to be able to do that in a very efficient and quick manner in order to keep any hot spots from expanding."

Reaction Score
Yeah...the Abbott test gives you 15 minute results...and the FDA has warned about their accuracy. Could be missing 48% of infections....

My wife was tested yesterday at our hospital prior to an upcoming procedure...results available Tuesday.

Reaction Score
Most campuses will have covid testing as part of their on campus reopening strategy...

I know Alabama will be doing RNA/DNA analysis....I assume others will as well. University of Georgia has the equipment and lab already in place as part of their Covid research.

Reaction Score
Yeah...the Abbott test gives you 15 minute results...and the FDA has warned about their accuracy. Could be missing 48% of infections....

My wife was tested yesterday at our hospital prior to an upcoming procedure...results available Tuesday.

My Grandson was hospitalized at Children's Hospital in Philadelphia with a respiratory issue in mid March. He was given a Covid test and had results in under two hours. Due to his age and condition it was given priority. Fortunately it was not Covid and he was treated and released the next day. Much of the delay is due to the volume of testing being done and lab capacity.

Reaction Score
A bunch of the colleges here in Boston are building testing sites on-campus so they'll have the capacity to internally test students, faculty, and staff with high frequency.

Reaction Score
There's anecdotal evidence emerging regarding the virus mutating and weakening. If it's true, as some say, that that is common with viruses (see SARS), that could be promising for schools to be open by the start of the school year.

Reaction Score
I have the suspicion that some professors are delighted with their upcoming new PCR DNA/RNA analyzers.

Probably bought with federal Corona Virus money...but will be available for research/teaching.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My Grandson was hospitalized at Children's Hospital in Philadelphia with a respiratory issue in mid March. He was given a Covid test and had results in under two hours. Due to his age and condition it was given priority. Fortunately it was not Covid and he was treated and released the next day. Much of the delay is due to the volume of testing being done and lab capacity.
CHOP is a great institution. I hope that everything worked out and he is well.

Reaction Score
There's anecdotal evidence emerging regarding the virus mutating and weakening. If it's true, as some say, that that is common with viruses (see SARS), that could be promising for schools to be open by the start of the school year.
Two reputable medical institutions report this:

Both acknowledge that there's not nearly enough evidence to form a conclusion or change behavior, but these aren't fringe medical experts floating asinine theories.

Reaction Score
Both acknowledge that there's not nearly enough evidence to form a conclusion or change behavior, but these aren't fringe medical experts floating asinine theories.

Most of the medical commmunity thinks that this is way too soon for a mutation of that nature. However, the medicl community hasn't gotten much right about this virus. So who the heck knows? Would be nice to get some good news.

Reaction Score
Most of the medical commmunity thinks that this is way too soon for a mutation of that nature. However, the medicl community hasn't gotten much right about this virus. So who the heck knows? Would be nice to get some good news.
I'm far from an expert here, but I believe their argument isn't that it's mutating so much as the overall viral load - or, amount of the virus in an infected patient - is lessening.

Reaction Score
Almost unoticed New York City had zero Covid deaths last Wednesday. In and of itself it is not that important but it is important as part of the trend.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Jackson Lab on the UConn Health campus runs the tests - has been for weeks.

Reaction Score
FSU has now tested 154 football players, coaches and staff....one positive.

FSU athletics director David Coburn said he won't give the OK for additional athletes to arrive on campus until he is certain that everything continues to go smoothly with football. He pointed out that all football activities so far have been contained to the Moore Athletic Center.

Coburn said another significant hurdle on the horizon is the July 4 weekend. If student-athletes or staff leave Tallahassee for the holiday, there's a concern that one or more people in the department could become infected while traveling and bring it back to campus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom