On Campus Arena Rumor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Anyone see this Jacobs tweet?

@jacobscourant
Per tweet UConn verge of major announcement on on-campus arena: Obviously have to address hockey at some point: Told nothing more right now.

Someone else said take it with a grain of salt.

Reaction Score
There was a tweet last night about it being a new arena for hockey.

Reaction Score
New Hockey Arena will be announced to be opened for the 2016-17 season. In a year or 2 they will announce that Gampel will be renovated.

Reaction Score
So they spend $$$$$ on a 5,000 seat arena hockey only. Then they will spend $$$$ to renovate Gampel.

Why not combine the funds and build a 13,000 seat state of the art arena with ice? A tarp for the upper deck for hockey games. Bye, bye XL Center.

Can't buy into the reasoning that Storrs is "too far out of the way". If it is that difficult to get to Storrs why does Gampel exist at all?

Reaction Score
So they spend $ on a 5,000 seat arena hockey only. Then they will spend to renovate Gampel.

Why not combine the funds and build a 13,000 seat state of the art arena with ice? A tarp for the upper deck for hockey games. Bye, bye XL Center.

Can't buy into the reasoning that Storrs is "too far out of the way". If it is that difficult to get to Storrs why does Gampel exist at all?
Unfortunately plenty of people, some rather powerful, have questioned Gampel's necessity before. Personally I like the current trend.

*Also, the cost of a dual purpose basketball/hockey arena is pretty crazy which is why they are so uncommon on college campuses.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
How many people actually attend our hockey games?

Reaction Score
How many people actually attend our hockey games?
I think with the team joining Hockey East and the arena on campus you will see the 5,000 capacity filled. I definitely would be on-board with building a 13,000 seat mixed use arena on campus and saying good bye to Hartford all together though.

Reaction Score
New Hockey Arena will be announced to be opened for the 2016-17 season. In a year or 2 they will announce that Gampel will be renovated.
The on-campus arena with a minimum 5,000 seat capacity was a condition for UCONN being accepted into Hockey East.

Reaction Score
Well, the Fruit are pushing for an all purpose stadium with a retractable dome, I mean they actually are. This being the case, build one for us in Hartford. I am sure there will be no problem coming up with the money.

Reaction Score
The on-campus arena with a minimum 5,000 seat capacity was a condition for UCONN being accepted into Hockey East.

I guess that they will have to build the retractable roof stadium in Storrs then.

Reaction Score
Well, the Fruit are pushing for an all purpose stadium with a retractable dome, I mean they actually are. This being the case, build one for us in Hartford. I am sure there will be no problem coming up with the money.
I really can't see that getting done without using all private money. There is no way a Mayor of Syracuse in his right mind would give up state money to help build a stadium. That part of NYS is pretty desolate...most of the manufacturing that anchored it is gone. Cities like Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse are dying on the vine.

Reaction Score
I really can't see that getting done without using all private money. There is no way a Mayor of Syracuse in his right mind would give up state money to help build a stadium. That part of NYS is pretty desolate...most of the manufacturing that anchored it is gone. Cities like Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse are dying on the vine.

They may have said the same thing about the Carrier Dome but there is no freakin' way it is actually going to happen. We are talking about costs in the stratosphere.

Reaction Score
They may have said the same thing about the Carrier Dome but there is no freakin' way it is actually going to happen. We are talking about costs in the stratosphere.
I agree...

Reaction Score
You might be surprised on this one. Syracuse is part of good sized metro area and considered the central hub, geographically and cultural, of upstate. The state is actively looking for ways to revitalize the region and while the city itself is blue, much of the country side around it is red, so political funding votes could be easier passed than say a project on LI. Not that anyone here wants to hear this, but it also doesn't hurt that 'Cuse is a very politically and financially powerful entity.

Reaction Score
Hockey plays a lot of games on Friday and Saturday nights. The barn will be jumping with kids looking for an excuse to get hammered and scream like morons. (Not that an excuse is needed.). Plus , some of the hockey east fan bases travel pretty heavily. 5k is doable.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
An on-campus hockey arena is the perfect thing for campus. Friday and Saturday night games will be fun! I just hope football and hockey can coordinate schedules.

Reaction Score
Hockey plays a lot of games on Friday and Saturday nights. The barn will be jumping with kids looking for an excuse to get hammered and scream like morons. (Not that an excuse is needed.). Plus , some of the hockey east fan bases travel pretty heavily. 5k is doable.
Hockey fans are religious, I wouldn't be surprised if 5k is sold out pretty regularly in a few years.

Reaction Score

It depends on what you mean by dying. Now, I don't know about Syracuse, but Buffalo has had many billions worth of investment in the last few years. A lot of Hi-tech companies moving in. Some low-tech too, like Elon Musk's Solar City plant. The real estate in the city is getting silly as well. The new professionals are having a hard time finding homes at a reasonable price. An article in the Buffalo News called bidding wars two weeks ago showed how absurd prices have become.

Reaction Score
You might be surprised on this one. Syracuse is part of good sized metro area and considered the central hub, geographically and cultural, of upstate. The state is actively looking for ways to revitalize the region and while the city itself is blue, much of the country side around it is red, so political funding votes could be easier passed than say a project on LI. Not that anyone here wants to hear this, but it also doesn't hurt that 'Cuse is a very politically and financially powerful entity.

Syracuse is the hub of upstate? How does that work? When I think of upstate, I think of 3 other cities that have a lot more going on than Syracuse. Syracuse is 4th at best upstate.

Reaction Score
So they spend $ on a 5,000 seat arena hockey only. Then they will spend to renovate Gampel.

Why does Gampel exist at all? Keep your day job because you will never be an AD. We need a quality (small/cozy/attractive to recruits) on campus facility. If all we had on campus was the old field house we wouldn't be able to recruit Daniel Hamilton's high school ball boy. Gample, IS out of the way, but students as well as fans from that part of CT can see them there. Uconn is the states team and 16,000 (XL CENTER) would still trump 13,000 and definitly beats 9000 (gample. The XL Center seats more and IS easier to get to and home from for probably 80% of the state. The more people who see games (kids) the greater the fan base, revenue stream, ability to recruit. All these people bitching about the XL Center. Are the sight lines bad, seats not comfy enough, when you go to a game what is your problem when your watching it? Each arena serves a particular purpose. Don't go to a game at the XL center if it is soooo bad, stay home, but at least have a clue to the purpose behind both!

Reaction Score
Syracuse is the hub of upstate? How does that work? When I think of upstate, I think of 3 other cities that have a lot more going on than Syracuse. Syracuse is 4th at best upstate.
It has alot to do with its centralized location and the intersection of i90 and i81. But yeah, having lived there for 4 years , I am well aware the city sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom