On Aresco.... | The Boneyard

On Aresco....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
After listening to him expound on Louisville at the Tulane presser yesterday, any faith anyone had in him is completely misguided.

TV talks are dead in the water and the guy running point has no idea that he's pimping a school that is 18 hours from leaving.

That is scary.

Reaction Score
I mean, what do you want the guy to do? Big East commissioner is probably the worst job in the world right now. He's the captain of the Titanic.

Reaction Score
Haha, worst major athletic conference commissioner job in the world. How's that?

Reaction Score
After listening to him expound on Louisville at the Tulane presser yesterday, any faith anyone had in him is completely misguided.

TV talks are dead in the water and the guy running point has no idea that he's pimping a school that is 18 hours from leaving.

That is scary.

Yup. I think it's clear that he is just another TV Exec who was playing with a stacked deck. Word on him was that he was a facilitator and not really a visionary.

Honestly, most people here have enough brains to know which schools to backfill our losses with.

Reaction Score
Big East is no longer a major conference. This thing is coming apart at the seams. Basketball schools should take their ball and go home. Whatss the sense? Soon they'll invite western Kentucky. Enough.

Reaction Score
I was more concerned because I saw that as groveling. Being a Conference Commissioner is like being a pimp, make your women fear and love you and they'll be yours forever. Swofford and Aresco are learning the hard way that pimpin' ain't easy.

Reaction Score

That is scary.

I agree Fishy. I know we've had our battles and it's been fun, but i've gone as far as humanly possible in defending this thing now. I feel for Aresco, he left a job with a lot of security, with one that has very little. Until the past few weeks, truthfully, I had no idea how bad the damage was to this conference that had been inflicted during the past 15 years or so that Tranghese was in charge.

I did know, and told you all right here in 2011 spring, that if Villanova jerked around the upgrade in football, and didn't follow through full bore, the way we did with the upgrade ten years earlier, the conference would be gone by the time the TV deal was done. At that time - if Villanova leadership had actually been legitimate in preserving the conference, and doing what they should have with their football program, the football conference would have been at 10 teams - with TCU, as the outlier, a completely different, denomination,faith - but still christian/religious based institution. We would have basketball conference that still would dominate the east coast major television markets, and a football conference - Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Louisville, Connecticut, South Florida, Cincinnati, New Jersey, Texas Chsristian, and Villanova. We'd have a very nice football conference and basketball conference for sale to television rights.

I was all for the Villanova upgrade, as many might remember. I hoped they wouldn' duck the conference. but those priests did.

I'm tired of it all now. I'm ready for the split. As I was before, the new leadership, I had faith in, has failed. The damage done before, was too much to repair.

THe only question now - is UConn leadership going to be a pawn or player? We'll find out.

To be decided is if we're better off selling our own media rights, and scheduling our own major money making sports as an independant, or with a conference.

We will be able to have our media rights to sell to ourselves, if we so want, legally, in very short time.

Reaction Score
I don't blame Aresco. I'll bet Herbst "knew" we were gone and told Aresco. Conventional wisdom was UConn was going to the ACC and I think even Louisville was surprised they got the invite as they aren't an academic fit. The vote momentum for Louisville changed and we are where we are at now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom