On A Serious Note - Big Friday Game | The Boneyard

On A Serious Note - Big Friday Game

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Strikes me that Friday's biggest game is Liberty v. Tennessee. After Tenn's exit from The Dance last year something unheard of in Knoxville started to happen. The local press started to think analytically about Holly's future.

Can Top Recruiting Class, Loyalty Save Warlick’s Job With Lady Vols?

And that drum beat got no more subdued as time went by.

Warlick's future dependent on Lady Vols' No. 1 recruiting class

If Liberty pulls off the long shot I'd say she toast. The team is not a well oiled machine and it's full of freshmen. Russel and Nared are flawed seniors. There is no Wilson on that squad, so playing 2 games at home is huge to Tenn.

Wanna see one jumpy twitchy Holly? She knows it's probably her last round up should they stumble at home.

Lady Vols Open Big Dance Against Liberty on Friday in Knoxville - WDEF

Friday 2:30 ESPN2.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't know Rock, a lot has changed since last year and the Nov article this year-the team started strong, went 24-7 which on the surface is pretty good. Holly has another top 10 class coming in the fall and now Philip Fulmer is the Athletic Director, a guy who knows how much it hurt being ousted despite some pretty good seasons. Add in the fact that Tennessee football has yet to replicate or come close to what he did, I am not thinking he will be too harsh with Holly, plus she has 1 more year left on the contract. So while attendance has dropped a bit below 10,000, they are still #3 in the country and despite her actual coaching skills, she can recruit better than most and keeps winning at a good clip. Granted they aren't the behemoth they once were under Pat but that had to change at some point. I honestly think Holly will be there one more year, probably decide the stress is too much and take on some sort of emeritus role at the University. Now if she loses to Liberty, that stress will certainly be exacerbated and could hasten her retirement. I do think they win that game but lose to Oregon State in the 2nd round at TBA to end the unbeaten streak at 57.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I would be shocked, shocked I tell you, if Tennessee lost to Liberty.

Could happen, if the team "adjusts" their uniforms.

image.jpeg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Obviously I have no inside knowledge, but the whole "possibly fire Holly" thing is a pipe dream. Here's what they have done in the NCAA's since she's been the HC:

Elite 8, Sweet 16, Elite 8, Elite 8, 2nd round

This is better than 99% of the other teams out there. Without looking up the results from every other top team, I would bet that only 5-6 teams have better NCAA results over the past 5 years. Add to that she has had top 10 recruiting classes the past 2 seasons.

I realize given their history, many Tenn fans feel every season is NC or bust. Anything short of that does a disservice to their legacy, blah blah. But the new reality is that as much as Holly may be only an average X's and O's coach, there is ZERO guarantee that a different HC could recruit better than Holly has. There's really no reason whatsoever to fire her and take a chance with someone else.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Obviously I have no inside knowledge, but the whole "possibly fire Holly" thing is a pipe dream. Here's what they have done in the NCAA's since she's been the HC:

Elite 8, Sweet 16, Elite 8, Elite 8, 2nd round

This is better than 99% of the other teams out there. Without looking up the results from every other top team, I would bet that only 5-6 teams have better NCAA results over the past 5 years. Add to that she has had top 10 recruiting classes the past 2 seasons.

I realize given their history, many Tenn fans feel every season is NC or bust. Anything short of that does a disservice to their legacy, blah blah. But the new reality is that as much as Holly may be only an average X's and O's coach, there is ZERO guarantee that a different HC could recruit better than Holly has. There's really no reason whatsoever to fire her and take a chance with someone else.
Exactly. I say extend her contract 25 years, guaranteed.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't know Rock, a lot has changed since last year and the Nov article this year-the team started strong, went 24-7 which on the surface is pretty good. Holly has another top 10 class coming in the fall and now Philip Fulmer is the Athletic Director, a guy who knows how much it hurt being ousted despite some pretty good seasons. Add in the fact that Tennessee football has yet to replicate or come close to what he did, I am not thinking he will be too harsh with Holly, plus she has 1 more year left on the contract. So while attendance has dropped a bit below 10,000, they are still #3 in the country and despite her actual coaching skills, she can recruit better than most and keeps winning at a good clip. Granted they aren't the behemoth they once were under Pat but that had to change at some point. I honestly think Holly will be there one more year, probably decide the stress is too much and take on some sort of emeritus role at the University. Now if she loses to Liberty, that stress will certainly be exacerbated and could hasten her retirement. I do think they win that game but lose to Oregon State in the 2nd round at TBA to end the unbeaten streak at 57.

All valid points and look at JPM, Duke fans gleefully thought she was gone after her contract ticked down and that whole abuse thing came up and magically shen got an extension. (Oh, Triad, Triad.....) :oops: Heck, they might run deep this year, just short of Miracle On Ice stuff, and she'll get another 5 years. It was unusual for the press to opening speculate and she gets asked more questions, though Fleser (sp?) is always there to throw her leading question soft balls. Tenn fans are saying that Tenn is happy with mediocrity in the SEC and if that is the standard Holly is over achieving.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
First, I need to lie down after this post as I am about to be sick as I come to the defense of the Tennessee Lady Vols...:eek:

Holly, for all her shortcomings, has a 152-53 W/L record overall (.741) and a 71-25 (.740) record in the SEC in 6 years of coaching. She was thrust into an impossible situation of a program already on a down swing fro 2011-12 at 27-9 and no notable recruits coming in.
The negatives:
Yes, she inherited a storied program who was still doing pretty well so she really only had to "drive the car" and not rebuild.
Her coaching travails are well documented as is her "I don't know..." catch phrase after tough losses and subpar performances by her teams.
She does not command the outward show of respect from the team that Pat did, nor is she the "screamer" that Pat was.
She' is not a dynamic personality to the media or the fans. She has too much respect for her predecessor and mentor to upstage any of that legacy.
The positives:
She has made it to one 2nd rd, 1 sweet 16, 2 elite 8's in her 5 previous trips. All very good by any other programs standard, save UConn, Stanford or maybe ND.
She has shown an ability to keep the Lady Vol mystique alive with the recruiting of top classes coming in and even a top transfer or two coming in.
The attendance is maintaining in relation to the rest of WCBB and is still top 3.
Her players seem to really like her and support her. Russell came back for a 5th year and many have stated how they like the family Holly has created.
She has the support of all the former players and many in the Athletic Department who know what abject failure from coaching looks like-see UT football or basketball prior to Barnes.

Her winning will NEVER satisfy that fan base unless she goes 38-0 for 3 years, wins 3 straight SEC titles, 2 NCAA titles back to back and makes it to 10 straight final fours. All of which are unrealistic. Now, think about if Tenn does decide to move on, who the heck is out there that is known to be better and would take on that task with the unforgiving fan base? Would they dare hire outside of Pat's legacy? There is no former disciple of Pat that is a top quality coach who could run that program to even the level Holly has it at-Nikki Caldwell Fargas might be the closest but her track record at LSU is not as strong as Holly's.

I do think Holly's days are numbered as we can see the stress in all her press conferences, but her actually W/L record could be significantly worse. Take a look at Virginia with Boyle following Debbie Ryan, Kevin Ollie following Jim Calhoun or Gail Gostenkors following Jody Conradt at Texas after a stellar Duke career, even look at Joanne P McCallie following Gail at Duke, a near impossible situation that still has many detractors despite how well Duke as really done. Following a legend and fanatic fan base is never easy. Something we should be acutely aware of.

Humbly submitted-DefenseBB (my head feels woosie).

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
First, I need to lie down after this post as I am about to be sick as I come to the defense of the Tennessee Lady Vols...:eek:

Holly, for all her shortcomings, has a 152-53 W/L record overall (.741) and a 71-25 (.740) record in the SEC in 6 years of coaching. She was thrust into an impossible situation of a program already on a down swing fro 2011-12 at 27-9 and no notable recruits coming in.
The negatives:
Yes, she inherited a storied program who was still doing pretty well so she really only had to "drive the car" and not rebuild.
Her coaching travails are well documented as is her "I don't know..." catch phrase after tough losses and subpar performances by her teams.
She does not command the outward show of respect from the team that Pat did, nor is she the "screamer" that Pat was.
She' is not a dynamic personality to the media or the fans. She has too much respect for her predecessor and mentor to upstage any of that legacy.
The positives:
She has made it to one 2nd rd, 1 sweet 16, 2 elite 8's in her 5 previous trips. All very good by any other programs standard, save UConn, Stanford or maybe ND.
She has shown an ability to keep the Lady Vol mystique alive with the recruiting of top classes coming in and even a top transfer or two coming in.
The attendance is maintaining in relation to the rest of WCBB and is still top 3.
Her players seem to really like her and support her. Russell came back for a 5th year and many have stated how they like the family Holly has created.
She has the support of all the former players and many in the Athletic Department who know what abject failure from coaching looks like-see UT football or basketball prior to Barnes.

Her winning will NEVER satisfy that fan base unless she goes 38-0 for 3 years, wins 3 straight SEC titles, 2 NCAA titles back to back and makes it to 10 straight final fours. All of which are unrealistic. Now, think about if Tenn does decide to move on, who the heck is out there that is known to be better and would take on that task with the unforgiving fan base? Would they dare hire outside of Pat's legacy? There is no former disciple of Pat that is a top quality coach who could run that program to even the level Holly has it at-Nikki Caldwell Fargas might be the closest but her track record at LSU is not as strong as Holly's.

I do think Holly's days are numbered as we can see the stress in all her press conferences, but her actually W/L record could be significantly worse. Take a look at Virginia with Boyle following Debbie Ryan, Kevin Ollie following Jim Calhoun or Gail Gostenkors following Jody Conradt at Texas after a stellar Duke career, even look at Joanne P McCallie following Gail at Duke, a near impossible situation that still has many detractors despite how well Duke as really done. Following a legend and fanatic fan base is never easy. Something we should be acutely aware of.

Humbly submitted-DefenseBB (my head feels woosie).

One of the best written defenses for Holly, what were you thinking. You need a nice stiff drink after all that.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
As a public service announcement:
All Boneyarders are encouraged to write a letter of support for the extension of Coach Holly's contract for an additional 25 years to the University of Tennessee's Athletic Department listed below;

Tennessee Athletics
P.O. Box 15016
Knoxville, TN 37901-5016

I would have put in the email address but I don't think the mods would like that.

Edit: change 10 years to 25 per meyers post

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I say,give Holly a 15 year extension to see how she does and re-evaluate her at that time.If she manages to perform at a .333% clip,then reward her with another 15 year deal.If the a.d. wants to get rid of her then i say,musically speaking,"do not mess with Holly buddy.":D

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Holly has a great record for 95% of the WBB Programs. Just not the Lady Vols.

Would UConn fans accept the same when Geno retires? I think not. Though some would say the new coach is hindered by not being in a P5 Conference.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t know about Liberty beating the Lady Vols. But the likely 2nd round matchup would pit TN against Scott Rueck’s Oregon St Beavers. Rueck is a fabulous coach, and he’s got a team with enough talent to take down the Lady Vols in Knoxville.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don’t know about Liberty beating the Lady Vols. But the likely 2nd round matchup would pit TN against Scott Rueck’s Oregon St Beavers. Rueck is a fabulous coach, and he’s got a team with enough talent to take down the Lady Vols in Knoxville.
I hope to watch that game somehow, though the amount or orange will require sunglasses.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Give Holly a break...

The only coaches with a national championship in her tenure as Tenn Head Coach are the current at last Olympic coaches.

Muffet, Tara, Vic, Jeff.....they all in the exact same boat.

But really, like really, REALLY she needs to get her team back to the Final 4 if she wants sustainable income.:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom