On a Positive Note | The Boneyard

On a Positive Note

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This was a great learning experience. Yeah I gotta agree Dorka Caroline and Azzi looked very nervous. That will change as we get through a few more games. The game started and we looked really good. The subs came in and the chemistry was not the same. With that said our freshman have the talent and lack the experience so Geno needs to play them and he went 9 deep. This was our first game of the season not counting exhibition. We didnt play well and scored 95 pts. Just think when we get a few games under our belt. There wont be many teams that can score with us.

Todays game show us where we need to improve and we will. Lack of help defense, lack of interior defense, poor foul shooting all have to be worked on. The good news is we have the talent and as it develops and we get though the growing pains we're gonna be a very tuff out because of the talent we have. Now we are young and need time to develop and gain experience. We will. This season will be a learn as you go experience. Thankfully we have Paige Christyn and Evina who can put up alot of points. Our trip next weekend with 3 games in 3 days will help us to mature. Hey we're gonna win ugly for a while and may even loose a game because of our lack or experience. The important thing is we know where we're at now, and we're not where many fans thought we would be but we will get there. When the starters were on the floor we looked really good especially at the beginning of the 1st and 2nd half. In big games we will have a shorter bench. Geno know exactly what to do and Im sure we will see improvement next weekend.

Reaction Score
This was UCONN'S first game so I'm not to concerned about how our Post Player's looked. If this was February or March I would be very concerned. This was also Azzi's first college game and believe me when I say she will have much, much better games. She is only a freshman and when she catches fire other teams better watch out because it won't only be the Paige show!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Azzi just has to learn to be aggressive. We all know about her 3 pt shooting but she also may have the best pull up in the game. We have another player that we love that won't take that shot, but with Azzi its imperative that she gets aggressive and looks for that shot. Its a money shot for Azzi and Paige needs her to get her going to lessen the pressure on herself. Maybe a little pep talk from Mom and Dad could alleviate some of the timidness she has shown. She has to realize that she isn't a common freshman and Paige is the perfect example of that. Paige told her that she would get her the ball, so now Azzi has to trust her friend and show us all why she was rated as high as she was.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
With that said our freshman have the talent and lack the experience so Geno needs to play them and he went 9 deep.
Yes, they are freshmen who are learning the UCONN way. They will be strong contributors by March. Dorka will learn the UCONN system by then as well and hopefully will be less excitable. We expected Azzi to be another Paige but she isn't and I doubt she will be. She will be outstanding but in Geno's 37 years he has had one Diana, one Maya, one Stewie, and now one Paige. These types of players are obviously rare. To get two in back to back years is a bit much to hope for.

Reaction Score
Azzi just has to learn to be aggressive. We all know about her 3 pt shooting but she also may have the best pull up in the game. We have another player that we love that won't take that shot, but with Azzi its imperative that she gets aggressive and looks for that shot. Its a money shot for Azzi and Paige needs her to get her going to lessen the pressure on herself. Maybe a little pep talk from Mom and Dad could alleviate some of the timidness she has shown. She has to realize that she isn't a common freshman and Paige is the perfect example of that. Paige told her that she would get her the ball, so now Azzi has to trust her friend and show us all why she was rated as high as she was.
I think Geno has to leave her out there on the court for the good part of a quarter regardless of how she's playing so she's not looking to get pulled every time the buzzer goes off...........if she has the green light to keep on shooting, whether they're going in or not, one successful outing is all she's going to need to settle those rookie nerves......

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Geno has to leave her out there on the court for the good part of a quarter regardless of how she's playing so she's not looking to get pulled every time the buzzer goes off...........if she has the green light to keep on shooting, whether they're going in or not, one successful outing is all she's going to need to settle those rookie nerves......
Azzi struggles yesterday had nothing to do with offense, shooting or playing time because she played 20 minutes and had 7 FGA=same as two UCONN starters (Evina & Aaliyah) and 1 less than Liv. Azzi's very first defensive assignment resulted in a complete blow by for a layup as did many other Arkansas possessions. Geno is not going to leave her out there "regardless". Azzi's defense must get exponentially better than what she showed yesterday.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
ON A POSITIVE NOTE, Geno has a front row seat, every night, to The Paige Bueckers Show! How many other coaches would love that seat? I am sure that, by the end of the season, Geno will again be saying,

We have Paige, and you don't!

Reaction Score
Azzi struggles yesterday had nothing to do with offense, shooting or playing time because she played 20 minutes and had 7 FGA=same as two UCONN starters (Evina & Aaliyah) and 1 less than Liv. Azzi's very first defensive assignment resulted in a complete blow by for a layup as did many other Arkansas possessions. Geno is not going to leave her out there "regardless". Azzi's defense must get exponentially better than what she showed yesterday.
I agree--Azzi's defensive was just plain pathetic and I have no explanation for her abysmal play on D. She's very athletic, has quick feet and yet she trailed her assigned player to the basket all the while she was in--and was out of position. Yes, playing 20 minutes for your first freshmen game is nothing to sneeze at--Geno gave her appreciable acclimation time, but Azzi was such a defensive liability, he had no choice but to pull her... Remember in a recent interview, she highlighted her defensive affinity, how her coach/Dad's emphasized it and she said initially D was her go to skill set... No one played particularly good defense yesterday, but Azzi's was just god-awful....

Reaction Score

To double-up on what Coco said - we say we want more bench bench bench play, but then when a player is pulled is it we're going to say "the player is playing with under duress and can't relax because they are afraid they will get pulled?"
Azzi got more than enough time for this game.

By the way, the pull-up jumper in the 2nd half that resulted in an airball, was that partially blocked?

Reaction Score
I agree--Azzi's defensive was just plain pathetic and I have no explanation for her abysmal play on D. She's very athletic, has quick feet and yet she trailed her assigned player to the basket all the while she was in--and was out of position. Yes, playing 20 minutes for your first freshmen game is nothing to sneeze at--Geno gave her appreciable acclimation time, but Azzi was such a defensive liability, he had no choice but to pull her... Remember in a recent interview, she highlighted her defensive affinity, how her coach/Dad's emphasized it and she said initially D was her go to skill set... No one played particularly good defense yesterday, but Azzi's was just god-awful....

It wasn't just her though, that was awful, right? Look at halftime how upset Geno was. He spoke of the posts too. I thought Dorka and Edwards were awful and Liv "bad." I thought Nika was "bad." As good offensively Evina was I thought she was "bad" defensively.

But again no big deal. Many many years they struggle in some games with their defense or offense or both. This is game 1. No big deal whatsoever.

Reaction Score
Excellent assessment, BH. Azzi has a long history of being aggressive, but, as you say, she had not been recently. Her game is to push the pace, move to a spot to get open, and use her fabled pull-up to score. I've seen her do just that over the years game after game. Right now she in deference mode; the new kid who doesn't want to rock the boat and is somewhat in awe of her surroundings and her legendary coach.
There is no better shot in wcbb than Fudd's. Once she clears her head, she'll be the prize we know her to be.

Reaction Score
To double-up on what Coco said - we say we want more bench bench bench play, but then when a player is pulled is it we're going to say "the player is playing with under duress and can't relax because they are afraid they will get pulled?"

By the way, the pull-up jumper in the 2nd half that resulted in an airball, was that partially blocked?
yes I think it was tipped.......

Reaction Score
With all of the great recruits that have received recognition and discussion over the last 3 months, it was Paige, Chrystin, and Evina who played the game. On defense, Fudd was a dud. And, I ownly saw one of her famous threes. If there others, I did not see it. She needs to move more on offense to get an open shot instead of just standing there waiting for the ball. All of the rest of them, including Dorka played like they were tentative waiting for the seniors and Paige to make the difference. They can make a difference and must learn quickly how to do this within Geno's system.

The "bigs" need to learn how to rebound and defend without fouling. They literally put themselves out of the game and thus become ineffective within the system.

Reaction Score
yes she got lost on defense out there and that must improve........then again I think you'd agree that a number of other UConn defenders had that issue yesterday.........all I can say is that when you can shoot like that passable defense is acceptable even by Geno ..............I'd use KML as a prime example.........

Reaction Score

I understand your point but getting her going on offense is a key ingredient to getting this team a NC this season.........as far as I'm concerned she is the difference maker.......

Reaction Score
Azzi is returning after two horrendous knee injuries, surgery, and rehabs. After all that, she wouldn't be human if re-injury wasn't somewhere in the back of her mind. We are all hoping that she regains her ability to move her feet on defense, and find her shot on offense but it obviously will take time.

Reaction Score
yes she got lost on defense out there and that must improve........then again I think you'd agree that a number of other UConn defenders had that issue yesterday.........all I can say is that when you can shoot like that passable defense is acceptable even by Geno ..............I'd use KML as a prime example.........
Let’s just hope she progresses to “passable” fairly quickly as what we saw yesterday was not even close! I’m inclined to give her a break on yesterday’s performance as she was probably overwhelmed by first game jitters. Hopefully, that is behind her and we will see the real Azzi next game.

Reaction Score
Don't forget that one reason the bigs got in foul trouble and looked so bad defensively is that they were not playing a game against top teams who also have bigs. They were basically trying to guard faster, more mobile guards or forwards. Once their guards blew by UConn's guards the bigs were in trouble especially when each block was called a foul by the officials working the game. Too many cheap foul calls take both teams out of their rhythm.

Reaction Score
This was a great learning experience. Yeah I gotta agree Dorka Caroline and Azzi looked very nervous. That will change as we get through a few more games. The game started and we looked really good. The subs came in and the chemistry was not the same. With that said our freshman have the talent and lack the experience so Geno needs to play them and he went 9 deep. This was our first game of the season not counting exhibition. We didnt play well and scored 95 pts. Just think when we get a few games under our belt. There wont be many teams that can score with us.

Todays game show us where we need to improve and we will. Lack of help defense, lack of interior defense, poor foul shooting all have to be worked on. The good news is we have the talent and as it develops and we get though the growing pains we're gonna be a very tuff out because of the talent we have. Now we are young and need time to develop and gain experience. We will. This season will be a learn as you go experience. Thankfully we have Paige Christyn and Evina who can put up alot of points. Our trip next weekend with 3 games in 3 days will help us to mature. Hey we're gonna win ugly for a while and may even loose a game because of our lack or experience. The important thing is we know where we're at now, and we're not where many fans thought we would be but we will get there. When the starters were on the floor we looked really good especially at the beginning of the 1st and 2nd half. In big games we will have a shorter bench. Geno know exactly what to do and Im sure we will see improvement next weekend.
I was surprised by how discombobulated Nikka Muhl looked. She was an energy bunny but her defense was spotty ( usually she is fierce and overwhelming) and her offense was lost ( airballs, shots with no chance of going in, etc .). As a sophomore, who stayed on campus rather than returning to her home country, I expected better.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
ON A POSITIVE NOTE, Geno has a front row seat, every night, to The Paige Bueckers Show! How many other coaches would love that seat? I am sure that, by the end of the season, Geno will again be saying,

We have Paige, and you don't!
He is saving it for the NC win. Out of curiosity, when did Geno first say that about Diana ?

Reaction Score
Azzi just has to learn to be aggressive. We all know about her 3 pt shooting but she also may have the best pull up in the game. We have another player .that we love that won't take that shot, but with Azzi its imperative that she gets aggressive and looks for that shot. Its a money shot for Azzi and Paige needs her to get her going to lessen the pressure on herself. Maybe a little pep talk from Mom and Dad could alleviate some of the timidness she has shown. She has to realize that she isn't a common freshman and Paige is the perfect example of that. Paige told her that she would get her the ball, so now Azzi has to trust her friend and show us all why she was rated as high as she was.
They seem to be using Azzi as a floor spreader right now. Defenses have to honor her shooting ability as it is well known in WCBB. We still have Christyn who wants her shots and who's strong point is the elbow jumper off the screen and drives to the hoop. Evina is great because she can do a lot and is playing some point and does it well. She seems to have perfected the top of the key 3 ball off the screen and has no hesitation and looks as smooth as silk doing it. These areas to score will open up for Azzi next year unless she starts going 7 or 8 for ten and then will the seniors defer to her. They defer to Paige because they all know she is the best in WCBB right now and will also find them if they are open.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom