Ominous Campus Covid Event - Residence Hall Quarantine [Merged Thread] | The Boneyard

Ominous Campus Covid Event - Residence Hall Quarantine [Merged Thread]

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Dorm connected to the Football team

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yesterday UConn announced that all 270 students living at the Garrigus Suites Residence Hall have been asked to quarantine due to a cluster of cases over the last few days. Garrigus houses a number of UConn football players.

At present UConn has 62 positive cases. While that is certainly cause for concern, it pales in comparison to universities like Alabama & TX A&M with cases in the 400-500 range.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
U of Alabama had something like 560 positive cases last time I checked. Are students' lives there being sacrificed in order to get the football season in?
I tend to believe that even if Alabama decides to send students home, football will go the way of UNC, keeping players on campus to play games. Schools have clearly demonstrated where the emphasis lies regarding:
student-ATHLETES

Reaction Score
U of Alabama had something like 560 positive cases last time I checked. Are students' lives there being sacrificed in order to get the football season in?

Student lives are at almost no risk at all. Far lower than the risk of being killed in a car accident or from a drug overdose. A real issue, however, is the risk to older faculty and staff members.

There are approximately 43 million Americans between the ages of 15 and 24. Of that group, 280 people have died from Covid according to the CDC. Most of those who died had serious health issues prior to getting Covid.

Last edited:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Student lives are at almost no risk at all. Far lower than the risk of being killed in a car accident or from a drug overdose. A real issue, however, is the risk to older faculty and staff members.

You are essentially correct regarding student lives; only a very few out of a thousand infected persons in the student age group are apt to die from covid-19 or
co-morbidity. I trust the families of those very few will grieve in comfort if Alabama has a winning season. The longer term medical consequences for the vast majority of those infected students are unknown.

As you point out, there is risk to older faculty and staff. There is also risk to any and all persons exposed to both symptomatic and asymptomatic students carrying the virus. Residents of many college towns are justifiably concerned.

Reaction Score
What happens on campus unfortunately doesn’t stay on campus. While fatality rate in younger population is minimal, they are carriers capable of infecting many more vulnerable people. And we really are only learning about the long term effects of the virus, including potential heart damage to younger folks. 560 cases at Alabama should induce an automatic shutdown.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting NYT tracker for college covid cases:
Uconn stands at 145. Considering that many of these colleges haven't started classes yet, or have only just started the numbers are pretty stark. As the notes say, this is pretty unscientific data as there are no standards established for reporting and or collecting data from the schools.

Just as a comparison: Tolland county (Storrs) has recorded 1112 cases in total from Mar - through yesterday with a population of 151,000. Uconn has recorded 145 cases with a max population of 20,000 (most have yet to arrive I suspect.) (Tolland has reported 57 cases in the last ten days, having reported zero for the previous ten days. Ten days ago students intending to attend classes in person began to return to the area for their 2 week 'quarantine' - coincidence or causation?)

FYI - just found a source tracking k-12 status of cases (CT schools have yet to open) for anyone interested:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
U of A at Tuscaloosa now reporting over 1000 positive Covid results. Almost 500 in last three days. Mayor shut down all bars in town last week to slow its spread.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The sooner a vaccine is found and disseminated, the better. College students all across the country have proven over the last few weeks that they are not concerned about the virus, and don't take it seriously. A good number of them are going to party, socialize, and refuse to recognize or respect the CDC's recommendation for "social distancing." Their mantra: "Hey dude, let's party". :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
U of A at Tuscaloosa now reporting over 1000 positive Covid results. Almost 500 in last three days. Mayor shut down all bars in town last week to slow its spread.
Why were bars open in the first place? That's just asking for trouble in a college town.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
They were open because their owners wanted to earn a living I guess. And because the students were not yet on campus. Seems the mayor thought the students and owners could follow the rules. After a week when they proved they wouldn't, he shut them down.

Reaction Score
The sooner a vaccine is found and disseminated, the better. College students all across the country have proven over the last few weeks that they are not concerned about the virus, and don't take it seriously. A good number of them are going to party, socialize, and refuse to recognize or respect the CDC's recommendation for "social distancing." Their mantra: "Hey dude, let's party". :confused:

Way too harsh about students. See plenty of adults with behavior as bad or worse than what has been described at college campuses. Let's stop piling on students, at least until adults get their act together.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Way too harsh about students. See plenty of adults with behavior as bad or worse than what has been described at college campuses. Let's stop piling on students, at least until adults get their act together.

I'm not "piling" on the students. I'm merely commenting on factual occurrences that are being reported in the news on campuses across the country. I'm not making these numbers up. I agree that the adults should serve as role models to the younger generation, but they aren't and they won't.

I'm really not concerned about the adults, only the kids on these campuses. Their actions may very well determine the future of any and all athletic activity on their campus and in their conference. I also understand that many of them are more interested in "socializing" than being concerned about whether or not their school engages in any intercollegiate athletic competition this school year.

Jonathan, we're looking at this through different prisms. I'm calling a spade a spade. It is what it is. I don't have an ax to grind here. These kids are young adults, 18 and over. They are old enough to make responsible decisions. Whether or not they make good decisions remains to be seen. Some of them will, some of them won't. NOW is a real good time to start!! Kids their age are dying too, we just don't hear about it. A 20 year old kid in small town Kansas or Texas that dies from the virus is not going to make the 6:00 o'clock news. He/she will just be a number, a statistic.

I don't expect any of them to behave or think like a 40-50 year old. Just act responsibly, and remember why their parents are sending them to school, and paying those high tuition fees. I'm one of those people that believe that everyone should be responsible and accountable for the decisions they make. No mulligans. I'm just reacting to what I'm seeing. I have no problem with bar owners trying to make a living. But........we're in the grip of a world-wide pandemic that has claimed thousands of lives, and will claim thousands more until a vaccine is developed. One would think until a vaccine is found, they would respect the virus and its side effects, and conduct themselves accordingly.

I just saw on the news yesterday that a person that had contracted the virus once and was treated and cleared, has contracted it again. If it happened to one person, it can happen to others. This virus IS NOT a respecter of persons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Alabama Tuscaloosa is on CNN right now. 1200+ cases now

Reaction Score
I have two 20 year olds in college. One in Mass and the other in Alabama. Both are staying home and taking their courses remotely. The Mass student lost his housing, as all dorms went to one per room to help seniors with labs work towards graduation. I was good with that. The Alabama student had the option to study remotely if all courses were online, which luckily his were. He desperately wanted to go back. The past month we have had some spirited debates over this. Carnac is correct, there are no mulligans here. The colleges have become super spreaders, and no one knows what will happen next. This is going to get worse.

On the downside, we lost our empty nester status, but I'm saving about 16k in room & board this semester.. To be continued....

Reaction Score
I'm not "piling" on the students. I'm merely commenting on factual occurrences that are being reported in the news on campuses across the country. I'm not making these numbers up. I agree that the adults should serve as role models to the younger generation, but they aren't and they won't.

I'm really not concerned about the adults, only the kids on these campuses. Their actions may very well determine the future of any and all athletic activity on their campus and in their conference. I also understand that many of them are more interested in "socializing" than being concerned about whether or nor their school engages in any intercollegiate athletic competition this school year.

Jonathan, we're looking at this through different prisms. I'm calling a spade a spade. It is what it is. I don't have an ax to grind here. These kids are young adults, 18 and over. They are old enough to make responsible decisions. Whether or not they make good decisions remains to be seen. Some of them will, some of them won't. NOW is a real good time to start!! Kids their age are dying too, we just don't hear about it. A 20 year old kid in small town Kansas or Texas that dies from the virus is not going to make the 6:00 o'clock news. He/she will just be a number, a statistic.

I don't expect any of them to behave or think like a 40-50 year old. Just act responsibly, and remember why their parents are sending them to school, and paying those high tuition fees. I'm one of those people that believe that everyone should be responsible and accountable for the decisions they make. No mulligans. I'm just reacting to what I'm seeing. I have no problem with bar owners trying to make a living. But........we're in the grip of a world-wide pandemic that has claimed thousands of lives, and looking for more. One would think until a vaccine is found, they should conduct themselves accordingly in social settings.

I just saw on the news yesterday that a person that had contracted the virus once and was treated and cleared, has contracted it again. If it happened to one person, it can happen to others. This virus IS NOT a respecter of persons.

How responsible was it for universities in states where COVID-19 is far from being under control, with no mask requirements, to open and force 20, 30 or 40,000 students to live in tight quarters? And then point the finger at students for the inevitable outcome. I'm not saying the students are blameless, but they are the symptom of a failed public health response, not the cause.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I have two 20 year olds in college. One in Mass and the other in Alabama. Both are staying home and taking their courses remotely. The Mass student lost his housing, as all dorms went to one per room to help seniors with labs work towards graduation. I was good with that. The Alabama student had the option to study remotely if all courses were online, which luckily his were. He desperately wanted to go back. The past month we have had some spirited debates over this. Carnac is correct, there are no mulligans here. The colleges have become super spreaders, and no one knows what will happen next. This is going to get worse.

On the downside, we lost our empty nester status, but I'm saving about 16k in room & board this semester.. To be continued....

Inside every dark cloud Ed......................................:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom