OMG, we lost a game | The Boneyard

OMG, we lost a game

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Down two starters, playing their first true road game, against a quality opponent... we lost in the closing seconds. On December 8th

I'm OK with that. Rather win, who wouldn't. Nothing to cry about

On to the Bonnies

Reaction Score
When will the excuses stop? Its a game we should have won - even down two starters and shooting horribly from three. I think people are frustrated because they know just how good these guys can be, and its a tough feeling when they aren't living up to their potential.

Yeah on to the Bonnies, but when's this team gonna wake up and take the next step we all know they're capable of?

Reaction Score
When will the excuses stop? Its a game we should have won - even down two starters and shooting horribly from three. I think people are frustrated because they know just how good these guys can be, and its a tough feeling when they aren't living up to their potential.

Yeah on to the Bonnies, but when's this team gonna wake up and take the next step we all know they're capable of?
Post/handle

Reaction Score
Down two starters, playing their first true road game, against a quality opponent... we lost in the closing seconds. On December 8th

On to the Bonnies
What makes them a quality opponent…..that their best win was Clemson?? We gave away a game to a totally inferior team: we should rejoice?? And looked completely scared, disorganized and disheveled in the process. Oh yeah, and collapsed in the last 5 minutes for the 4th time this year.

No, nothing to worry about here. Let’s just move on like everything is a ok. Got it.

Reaction Score

There's no excuses needed.

We missed shots. We deserved to lose because of it.

We got better shots all game and have better players 2-8 even without those 2.

Any reaction that doesn't lead with the fact that the absolute single biggest reason that dwarfs any other reason that we lost tonight is that we missed a truckload of makeable open shots by mostly our better shooters is missing the forest for the trees.

There's plenty of small things to talk about, but not really any of it changes the outcome if we have even just merely a bad shooting night as opposed to abhorrent 3/24 night (even factoring in WVU making more FTs in this hypothetical).

Reaction Score

On to the Bonnies
I think that's exactly how JC would react after this game. Looks like he's doing exactly that in your avatar. :)

willie99

Reaction Score
"When will the excuses stop"

"what makes WVU a quality opponent"

Jpi9CvA.gif

c'mon man

willie99

Reaction Score
I think that's exactly how JC would react after this game. Looks like he's doing exactly that in your avatar. :)

JC's teams put up a lot of stinkers early in the year. Speaking of the Bonnies, I remember when they destroyed us in December 2001 at home and the board went into meltdown. The year a sophomore names Caron Butler carried a bunch of freshmen and Johnny Selvie to the BET title, a two seed and the elite eight

His teams usually jelled late January, early February. No excuses

What would yet another HOF (GOAT) coach say? "We're on to St Bonaventure"

This team will be fine

Reaction Score
There's no excuses needed.

We missed shots. We deserved to lose because of it.

We got better shots all game and have better players 2-8 even without those 2.

Any reaction that doesn't lead with the fact that the absolute single biggest reason that dwarfs any other reason that we lost tonight is that we missed a truckload of makeable open shots by mostly our better shooters is missing the forest for the trees.

There's plenty of small things to talk about, but not really any of it changes the outcome if we have even just merely a bad shooting night as opposed to abhorrent 3/24 night (even factoring in WVU making more FTs in this hypothetical).

Not to mention, that from a fouling strategy, we fouled the person we wanted to put on the line.

Osabuohein has to be one of the worst FT shooters I've ever seen. He alone counted for 6 of their FT misses. He's a big reason why their FT % was so low.

Reaction Score
The vast majority of the Boneyard predicted 2 or more losses in the OOC portion of the schedule. We are a few made shots, calls that went the other way, and lucky bounces from being undefeated or having only 1 loss to Baylor. Not to mention the injuries that caused extremely key players to miss games.

The team is doing as well as or better than most of us thought they would. Just saying.

Reaction Score
To think that this is not going to be a struggle against any BE competition is not realistic until we get those guys back. We could lose a bunch of games. Someone man the bridges for jumpers.

Reaction Score
To think that this is not going to be a struggle against any BE competition is not realistic until we get those guys back. We could lose a bunch of games. Someone man the bridges for jumpers.
Rese may be back by saturday and almost definitely for providence. Relax we're going to be ok

Reaction Score
Got open threes. .Didn't make them. End of story.

Turn the page and beat the Bonnies.
This game was really that simple. Alot of over analyzing going on. We have to find a way for shooters to no go 0-8

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
It's less that we lost, and more how we lost. Losses in Dec aren't a huge deal but losing the way we lost is a pattern, ignoring that is just because you don't care or you don't understand hoop...

Reaction Score
If it makes us feel any better, I got a tour of the wvu basketball facilities before the game and they had a giant presentation encompassing an entire wall highlighting the 2010 BET championship they won. Seemed so proud of it .

Reaction Score
It's less that we lost, and more how we lost. Losses in Dec aren't a huge deal but losing the way we lost is a pattern, ignoring that is just because you don't care or you don't understand hoop...
Here come the "basketball loyalist" who say if you disagree with me you don't understand basketball.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Here come the "basketball loyalist" who say if you disagree with me you don't understand basketball.
You think that there isn't a pattern of how we are losing these close games then I'm not really sure what to say.

Reaction Score
You think that there isn't a pattern of how we are losing these close games then I'm not really sure what to say.
It’s doesn’t matter what I think. It’s obnoxious to say someone who doesn’t agree with you doesn’t know basketball. No I don’t think it was a “bad” loss. Disappointing? Sure. Bad? Is a reach

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Got open threes. .Didn't make them. End of story.

Turn the page and beat the Bonnies.
True. Also really troubling. The right players got the right shots at the right times ( except under 4 min) . Around the 8 minute range we were up 5 , got a turnover and wide open 3 for Polley in transition. That is the exact type of shot that is a back breaker in game setting. Hawkins and Polley both had a couple more good shots after that, nothing.

Also the errors we consistently make in close games under 5 minutes really does not bode well for us moving forward. We’ve been throwing close games away for two seasons. Never changes and doesn’t matter if we are at full strength or have players missing.

Reaction Score
True. Also really troubling. The right players got the right shots at the right times ( except under 4 min) . Around the 8 minute range we were up 5 , got a turnover and wide open 3 for Polley in transition. That is the exact type of shot that is a back breaker in game setting. Hawkins and Polley both had a couple more good shots after that, nothing.

Also the errors we consistently make in close games under 5 minutes really does not bode well for us moving forward. We’ve been throwing close games away for two seasons. Never changes and doesn’t matter if we are at full strength or have players missing.
Agree with you. DH has said three guys have been playing at an all-conference level quality of play so far this year. RJ/TM/AS.. Two of those guys aren't playing right now. Others have to step up in their absence.

If I'm an opposing coach in a close game with UConn with 5 minutes or so to go. I'm trying to keep the ball out of RJ's hands or take him out of the game with really tough D. If I can accomplish that (as Huggins did) Who can we rely on to finish games and initiate the offense? That's our current conundrum.

Reaction Score
We aren’t a good shooting team. It was a concern coming into the year and is beyond a doubt by now. That simple fact lowers our ceiling any given night, nvm down 2 of our top 3 scorers and all around players.

If people could have realistic expectations about this team (2nd or 3rd BE, hopefully sweet 16) then a lose like this wouldn’t cause mass panic

Reaction Score
If it makes us feel any better, I got a tour of the wvu basketball facilities before the game and they had a giant presentation encompassing an entire wall highlighting the 2010 BET championship they won. Seemed so proud of it .
That's their "Wall."

You hang what banners you earned.

Reaction Score
From what I see..Jackson needs to stop trying to make highlights with his passes more often than not they turn into turnovers instead of easy buckets.

I did notice that one time he was on a breakaway on his own he actually took the conservative route and got the easy basket. Possibly a sign of maturity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom