OMG! Edsall | The Boneyard

OMG! Edsall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just cost his team the game.

anyone else see that?

BC lines up for a 52 yard kick to win the game, the BC kicker misses and we are going to OT.....but.......Edsall called a timeout a nano second before he kicked it. BC kicker gets a second chance and nails it.

Great game.

BTW BC had 6 sacks last year, they now have 33. Don Brown getting the job done, again, as usual.

Last edited:

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Bet you he'll blame his players for not executing...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Just cost his team the game.

anyone else see that?

BC lines up for a 52 yard kick to win the game, the BC kicker misses.....but.......Edsall called a timeout right before he kicked it. BC kicker gets a second chance and nails it.

Great game.

BTW BC had 6 sacks last year. they now have 32. Don Brown getting the job done.

Coaches employ the last second time out before a fg attempt all the time. I'm not sure you can say he's cost them the game. Common strategy.

Reaction Score
Coaches employ the last second time out before a fg attempt all the time. I'm not sure you can say he's cost them the game. Common strategy.

No..not true. The smart ones call the timeout well before the kicker gets a warm up kick on a miss and makes the coach who called the timeout look like an idiot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He is good for one of those a year. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. UMD should be patient though. He has them on the right track.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I'd argue this would be an instance where it was indisputable that the coach cost them the game. I mean, he called the time out, who else should take the blame?

That strategy is bush league to begin with and I believe that field goal kickers actually do better after the time out is called since the strategy became in vogue.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
That strategy is bush league to begin with and I believe that field goal kickers actually do better after the time out is called since the strategy became in vogue.

You would be wrong.

Nadav Goldschmied, an adjunct professor at the university’s psychology department, examined field goals over six seasons, 2002 to 2007. He identified 273 attempts that he considered “pressure” kicks, those attempted in overtime, or with one minute or less remaining in regulation when the kicking team was tied or trailing by 3 points or fewer.

Of the 163 field-goals attempted when a timeout was not called before the kick, 80.4 percent were successful. But in the 110 cases when the kicker was iced, the success rate dropped to 66.4 percent, a difference that Goldschmied — and probably every coach in the N.F.L. — considers significant.

Not surprisingly, kickers were more successful when their team called the timeout (83.3 percent), than they were when the opposing team did (64.4 percent). That is an indication that it is the element of surprise and disruption to the routine, not merely the extra time to think about the stakes, that causes the difficulty for kickers. The study found the success rate after icing was not affected by home-field advantage or the kicker’s years of experience.

Reaction Score
Only a matter of time before WhalerLawyer comes in here to tell you all how stupid you are. Hope you people are proud of yourselves.

Reaction Score
You would be wrong.

Nadav Goldschmied, an adjunct professor at the university’s psychology department, examined field goals over six seasons, 2002 to 2007. He identified 273 attempts that he considered “pressure” kicks, those attempted in overtime, or with one minute or less remaining in regulation when the kicking team was tied or trailing by 3 points or fewer.

Of the 163 field-goals attempted when a timeout was not called before the kick, 80.4 percent were successful. But in the 110 cases when the kicker was iced, the success rate dropped to 66.4 percent, a difference that Goldschmied — and probably every coach in the N.F.L. — considers significant.

Not surprisingly, kickers were more successful when their team called the timeout (83.3 percent), than they were when the opposing team did (64.4 percent). That is an indication that it is the element of surprise and disruption to the routine, not merely the extra time to think about the stakes, that causes the difficulty for kickers. The study found the success rate after icing was not affected by home-field advantage or the kicker’s years of experience.
Only Nadav that matters around here is Henefeld.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You would be wrong.

I could swear I saw a study that said the exact opposite. but I don't have the info on hand...so you win... for now!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Calling a timeout before the kick worked just fine for Paul Chryst yesterday vs. 'Cuse. Of course it was going to be a fake that resulted in a certain TD, but hey, 'Cuse lost so it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom