Omar pen to paper | The Boneyard

Omar pen to paper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is really great news. Omar and his dad really seemed all-in on Uconn. If Omar of all people was spooked by the APR speculation, it certainly wouldn't bode well for any other 2012 recruits.

Reaction Score
@AdamZagoria: "Uconn commit Omar Calhoun of Christ the King will sign Wednesday at 7 p.m. at CTK, per his dad."

----
people say about zags but he gets a ton nyc and tristate info

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is great news if it happens.

Reaction Score
I'm lost here. Was there any indication he wasn't going to sign? Am I missing something?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I'm lost here. Was there any indication he wasn't going to sign? Am I missing something?
I think people are just a little spooked by the APR changes and how that could affect our future. That coupled with JC retiring presumably in the near future is enough to make some people worried that a commit might back out until he officially signs.

Reaction Score
Its always great to see a high ranking kid pick us early stick with it and sign because he knows this is where he wants to be.. now omar don't make me eat my words and sign with maryland or something.

Reaction Score

People thought with the possible ncaa ban that he may rethink uconn

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Can't speak for others, but until the signing there is always a possibility of a miss. Think Melvin and Harkless.

Reaction Score
Can't speak for others, but until the signing there is always a possibility of a miss. Think Melvin and Harkless.
The signing is tomorrow bro, so don't really know what you're talking about

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The signing is tomorrow bro, so don't really know what you're talking about
Dog was wondering why everyone is excited. I spoke for me. When someone posted OC was planning on signing tomorrow I expressed my excitement because I want this kid in a UConn uni and even though I felt confident he was coming, one never knows. I don't take things for granted.

Reaction Score
The kid and his family are in love with UConn, never a doubt about him signing.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score

I look forward to these events less so because it's a binding commitment and more so because the staff can now comment on the player. Look forward to hearing a sound bite from Calhoun, on Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Kyle Muncy (@uconnmbbsid on Twitter) just confirmed that Omar's signed LOI is already in.

Reaction Score
I was never worried, but I'm sure many are relieved and excited he stuck with UConn.

I really don't think there is any chance UConn is excluded from the 2013 tourney. I realize that our APR number might come up a little short, but in the end, they'll let us in as long as we show significant progress.

The problem is how long will they wait to make that clear? Just the uncertainty will likely scare off recruits. I wasn't worried about Omar, but I am a tad concerned that the pool of interested recruits might dry up a bit if UConn 2013 post-season is uncertain. Hopefully the staff can reassure that UConn will be balling come March 2013 with those who stay in the mix.

Fortunately the team is young and many of the current players will still be around by then. If the NBA goes to plus-2 out of HS, then AD, DD and RB will all still be here. Both Lamb & Alex will likely be gone. I don't see any of the others developing to the point of leaving after this season. We have Omar to replace Lamb. It would be nice a big time 4/5 combo to replace Alex if he leaves. And I'm always open to add some surprise stud like Daniels in the spring even if we have depth at that give position.

What often wins you championships is having quality depth that maintains a high level of play when any of the main 5 to 7 rotation players have to sit for whatever reason (rest, foul trouble, injury). For example it's nice that JC can replace Daniels, with Smith, Smith with Giffey, bump Lamp into the 3 if he wants to go with Bazz and Boat together in the backcourt. Just about any combination of those players maintains a high level of play.

We've had some teams in the past that probably got bounce from the tourney a tad early because they let teams get back into the game or pull away from us while some key players had to sit. The MD loss when Caron had to sit for a while come to mind. If we had another wing who could have maintained the same spread while CB was on the bench with foul trouble, we might have gotten by them. The loss to TX also comes to mind. Didn't we have Marcus White in there late while others were in foul trouble. If that team had another quality big, the stuck ball would never have occurred and we would have survived and moved on.

Sorry to have gone off track there. Omar fills one need. At this time, we don't know what other needs will present themselves, but we all want to keep talent (3 or more very good to elite recruits each year) to keep the balance of talent and experience high at all times. I'm not a big fan of reloading every few years, though last years surprised all of us by getting another NC banner up on the wall. Can't wait to see it on there Friday!

Reaction Score
Omar should be a great pick up - and a very popular addition in the eyes of his fellow Huskies.

Because, for the next 2-4 years, starting with the first practice in the Fall of 2012, every member of the Huskies except Omar will be able, without necessarily risking their neck, to yell out things in practice like "Hey Calhoun, who are you to tell me what I should do".

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Omar should be a great pick up - and a very popular addition in the eyes of his fellow Huskies.

Because, for the next 2-4 years, starting with the first practice in the Fall of 2012, every member of the Huskies except Omar will be able, without necessarily risking their neck, to yell out things in practice like "Hey Calhoun, who are you to tell me what I should do".
LOL. Good one. I'm sure JC will read the team the riot act and demand Omar be called Omar or The OC, but never Calhoun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom