OT: - Olympics: Cancel/Delay? | The Boneyard

OT: Olympics: Cancel/Delay?

Reaction Score
1. All the Olympic athletes training camps are closed.
2. Most of the countries do not encourage to fly international
3. All of the countries do not allow 25 or 50+ people gathering together.

I don't see Olympic can start in July 2020.unless the COVID-19 disappear in may 2020.

Reaction Score
Olympics won’t happen as scheduled. Don’t see any way it can go on in July without creating a significant public health risk. Let alone the logistics.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Nothing to fret about...
Its totally impossible
How they deal with cancellation/postponements is a detail
to be sorted later...
Too bad for the athletes...but there are more important things

We could (rather) have a thread about all our seniors with pre-existing conditions who (like me) would get the chop if infected... :)

Stay safe
Michael

Reaction Score
Postpone for a year—at least, then reassess.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's obvious the Games will not be happening this summer. But like any good bureaucracy, the IOC is slow to make a drastic and disruptive decision. In this case, there was little to be gained from rushing to an announcement. Won't matter much if they announce the postponement two weeks ago versus a month from now.

Today the IOC announced it had set a deadline of four weeks from today to decide. It's all too obvious the Games will have to be postponed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The IOC’s announcement yesterday was a little tone deaf, specifically when they mentioned the 11,000 athletes who would be negatively impacted by a cancellation of the games. When I read that, my first reaction was, “What about the millions of people who could be impacted by the spread of the virus?”

It reminded me of Avery Brundage, the President of the USOC in 1936, and future President of the IOC, who refused to acknowledge the growing evidence of Nazi repression of Jews prior to the Berlin Olympics. Brundage hasn’t fared particularly well in the light of history for his self-imposed denial.

Reaction Score
The IOC’s announcement yesterday was a little tone deaf, specifically when they mentioned the 11,000 athletes who would be negatively impacted by a cancellation of the games. When I read that, my first reaction was, “What about the millions of people who could be impacted by the spread of the virus?”

It reminded me of Avery Brundage, the President of the USOC in 1936, and future President of the IOC, who refused to acknowledge the growing evidence of Nazi repression of Jews prior to the Berlin Olympics. Brundage hasn’t fared particularly well in the light of history for his self-imposed denial.
Completely accurate Oldude. And in doing so he actually gave Hitler a platform. Germany actually cleaned up it's act for the tourists for a couple of weeks giving the world a false picture of a civilized nation. Brundage's name should be remembered in the same vein as "Lucky Lindy" and the "Duke of Windsor."

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Gutting if you're an athlete. Essential if you care a whit about the lives of people.

Pondering options: What competitions could make the transition to online platforms? Would love to see the gymnasts compete.... Super Zoom meeting?

You could have some fun competitions via virtual reality/gaming platforms - fencing?

NBC could do some creative programing, rebroadcasting old competitions....

Reaction Score
This should have some effect on the makeup of the USA basketball team. It's one more year for the injured to rehab and the old to get older.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The right decision of course, but just brutal for athletes who have prepared their entire lives for this opportunity. Some of them may not make it to next year (getting too old, fail to qualify, get injured, etc.).

Obviously no winner in any of this. The world dynamics will forever be changed from what we are going thru.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom