Olympic Controversy Redux | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Olympic Controversy Redux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
I believe she was on the 2nd team AP, but not on the "official" 1st or 2nd team. Nneka, Maya, Tina, Stewie, Elena, Angel, Sylvia, Diana, and Sue are all pretty good.

I still don't like Candace's facial expressions or body language, but when she's good, she's very, very good. I think the statement about Geno not letting Diana cheat her talent applies. Unfortunately for her and the benefit of the game, Candace takes plays off or games off. As good as she is, she needs to be more consistent. If she played to her strengths more, played harder, and focused on defense more, she would be part of the core of Team USA.

This is also absurd logic. First, name me just one player that doesn't take plays off. They all do this and Maya too. Had Maya not taken a play off at the end of game 5 and simply blocked out Nneka, the ending would have been different. Candace, due to lack of talent on previous teams, has remained on the court for extended periods and one of the league leaders in minutes in previous games. Players that must stay on the court have to find other ways to catch a breath, beacause they can't get bench time. Even this season, LA went with a 7 man rotation. Agler, however, figured out how to utilize her in many ways but also gives her needed rest on the bench. Sorry, but I'll say it again, you just don't lead the entire league in efficiency and take breaks. It's laughable, really.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
On one occasion (I think just before the Olympics) when Geno was asked about Parker's omission, he went out of his way to mention Nneka and her outstanding play in the 2016 WNBA season. I thought he strongly implied that if the selection committee had been able to see her WNBA performance this season before the selections were made, she would have been selected.

With regard to the reason for Parker's omission, I continue to believe (even though no one agreed with me) that the article by the reporter who mentioned the "sandbox" contained the true reason for Parker's omission -- and I think it came from Geno "not for attribution". That article said that Parker did not play within the offensive sandbox that the coaches had defined during the London Olympics, and the coaches were unable to get her to do so, even after reducing her minutes and removing her from the starting lineup. So without diminishing her talent (which is beyond question), I believe Geno recommended to the selection committee that she should not be selected, because of the negative effect of her play in London on the team's overall offensive flow, and her resistance to following the coaches' direction on that subject.

If I'm right that this information did come from Geno, it was a leak that does not do credit to Geno. I believe he leaked the information because he values his reputation as a fair coach who makes personnel decisions based on basketball merit and not based on vendettas or prejudices. I think that is true (i.e., I think the reason is valid), but still I don't think he should have leaked the information.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
A great coach knows how to mesh players of unique backgrounds and playing styles. It's a poor excuse and also unfair to penalize the many players that are not from his system. Develop an offense that works for all. That's what great coaches do. Also, allow the great players to showcase their talent. Fans pay to see players making plays, not coaches. Players grow the game. Maya making out of the box, miraculous plays sells. Candace making jaw dropping plays sells. This is the pros, not college. I want to see spectacular athletes do spectacular things when I watch professionals play and this holds true in every professional sport. Just my opinion.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is also absurd logic. First, name me just one player that doesn't take plays off. They all do this and Maya too. Had Maya not taken a play off at the end of game 5 and simply blocked out Nneka, the ending would have been different. Candace, due to lack of talent on previous teams, has remained on the court for extended periods and one of the league leaders in minutes in previous games. Players that must stay on the court have to find other ways to catch a breath, beacause they can't get bench time. Even this season, LA went with a 7 man rotation. Agler, however, figured out how to utilize her in many ways but also gives her needed rest on the bench. Sorry, but I'll say it again, you just don't lead the entire league in efficiency and take breaks. It's laughable, really.
Watch Parker. She clearly stands around a lot and often plays matador defense. Maybe she needs more breaks or needs to get in better shape.

Maya missed an assignment but wasn't taking the play off.

Here's the logic--Candace would lead the league by larger margin if she played had more often. As I said, she's a very good player who can be a great player when she wants to be. That's exactly what Geno said in London in 2012. It's not just my opinion.

It would be refreshing to see a post from you without rudeness.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Body language, Diva, team chemistry, bad teammate, inconsistent effort.... is often the code words that some resort to instead of candidly saying: I picked someone else because they had better set of skills for what I think this team can accomplish.
From my perspective, I see occasional poor body language and inconsistent effort. She comes across as a diva.

We heard from reliable sources that there was a question about her dedication and being a good teammate.

The primary reasons why she wasn't chosen, in my opinion: (1) as a great finesse player, she was a poor matchup with the physical Aussies, thought to be the primary competition; (2) her defense is only average, and she did poorly against Cambage in 2012; (3) inconsistent effort--see Geno's comment after the London Olympics; (4) she didn't give the team the much-needed 3-point shooting that Elena and Stewie could provide.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
From my perspective, I see occasional poor body language and inconsistent effort. She comes across as a diva.

We heard from reliable sources that there was a question about her dedication and being a good teammate.

The primary reasons why she wasn't chosen, in my opinion: (1) as a great finesse player, she was a poor matchup with the physical Aussies, thought to be the primary competition; (2) her defense is only average, and she did poorly against Cambage in 2012; (3) inconsistent effort--see Geno's comment after the London Olympics; (4) she didn't give the team the much-needed 3-point shooting that Elena and Stewie could provide.
You have lapsed into those same code words again and even extended them with the addition of "reliable sources".
Apparently not "reliable" enough to put a name to it.

Reaction Score
Watch Parker. She clearly stands around a lot and often plays matador defense. Maybe she needs more breaks or needs to get in better shape.

Maya missed an assignment but wasn't taking the play off.

Here's the logic--Candace would lead the league by larger margin if she played had more often. As I said, she's a very good player who can be a great player when she wants to be. That's exactly what Geno said in London in 2012. It's not just my opinion.

It would be refreshing to see a post from you without rudeness.

I agree with your call for less "rudeness." This is an interesting topic that has now drawn nearly 3,000 views. Worth simple courtesy.

I am surprised by all the comments suggesting how poorly Parker plays, or that she's a "diva", or an intermittent player on defense. If memory serves, this is the Candace Parker who led her Tennessee team to two national championships. The video interview on this site shows her biting into her Olympic gold medal. And, of course, she just helped her team to the WNBA championship. Not bad for a player who doesn't play defense, takes plays off, and is a bad teammate.

The interview posted showed how surprised she was, and how shocked Lisa Leslie was at Parker's being left off. The bitterness engendered by her being passed over was also on display when Parker stated that she wasn't sure she would go on the team as an alternate should another player have been burt, or even if she would ever again play for USA basketball.

But her bitterness is certainly understandable under the circumstances.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree with your call for less "rudeness." This is an interesting topic that has now drawn nearly 3,000 views. Worth simple courtesy.

I am surprised by all the comments suggesting how poorly Parker plays, or that she's a "diva", or an intermittent player on defense. If memory serves, this is the Candace Parker who led her Tennessee team to two national championships. The video interview on this site shows her biting into her Olympic gold medal. And, of course, she just helped her team to the WNBA championship. Not bad for a player who doesn't play defense, takes plays off, and is a bad teammate.

The interview posted showed how surprised she was, and how shocked Lisa Leslie was at Parker's being left off. The bitterness engendered by her being passed over was also on display when Parker stated that she wasn't sure she would go on the team as an alternate should another player have been burt, or even if she would ever again play for USA basketball.

But her bitterness is certainly understandable under the circumstances.

Funny how you interpret a response that says "I'll cross that bridge when I get to it" the bridge being a call to be an Olympic alternate as being bitter. It seems most everyone has moved on sans you, therefore rudeness might be perfectly appropriate.

Reaction Score
I believe she was on the 2nd team AP, but not on the "official" 1st or 2nd team. Nneka, Maya, Tina, Stewie, Elena, Angel, Sylvia, Diana, and Sue are all pretty good.

I still don't like Candace's facial expressions or body language, but when she's good, she's very, very good. I think the statement about Geno not letting Diana cheat her talent applies. Unfortunately for her and the benefit of the game, Candace takes plays off or games off. As good as she is, she needs to be more consistent. If she played to her strengths more, played harder, and focused on defense more, she would be part of the core of Team USA.
ding ding ding...we have a winner...thus ends the conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak