Olympic athlete ousted for comments via Twitter | The Boneyard

Olympic athlete ousted for comments via Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That sounded like a tweet that would warrent that. Anyone who does something that dumb......well....

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Why don't people realize that when you tweet, you can't just say things you might say, in seriousness and in jest, within a circle of friends?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
That was my thought. What she tweeted was an attempt at humor. It wasn't intended to be malicious. Some sort of punishment sure, but I'm not sure that it rose to a level that warranted her getting kicked off the Olympic team.

That said, people that tweet this sort of stuff are idiots.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Why don't people realize that when you tweet, you can't just say things you might say, in seriousness and in jest, within a circle of friends?
We have 2 related, but seemingly conflicting trends occuring:

On the one hand, organizations are making tremendous efforts to protect personally identifiable information of their employees, customers, etc.

On the other hand, some people are putting their life story and all their unedited thoughts out for the world to see.

It seems so obvious: If you are thinking of doing something you don't want the world to see, don't do it, or, at a minimum, don't show them.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
So now we have a precedent to consider in thinking about Cappie ever being on the national team again, and it certainly does not favor her.. Add to that her decision favoring Fashion Week over practicing for the World Championship, and it's inconceivable to me that she will ever represent the USA again.

Too bad her great talent is sidelined by poor judgement.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
OK but he didn't ask the important question. Undies or no undies?

U

UCONNfan1

I'm with the people who think it was a poor attempt at humer, certainly stupid, but her public apology was sincere and sweeping. To ban her is completely stupid. Total over reaction. Now if she committed some kind of felony, that's another story. But being booted off the team for a really inappropriate tweet? which was followed up with a sincere apology? Way big over reaction by Greece IMHO.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm with the people who think it was a poor attempt at humer, certainly stupid, but her public apology was sincere and sweeping. To ban her is completely stupid. Total over reaction. Now if she committed some kind of felony, that's another story. But being booted off the team for a really inappropriate tweet? which was followed up with a sincere apology? Way big over reaction by Greece IMHO.
It says pretty clearly in the article that she violated IOC rules on social media. Is it a dumb rule? Probably, but it's still a rule.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Agree that it wasn't malicious. I'd read another article on this topic that didn't contain the content of the tweet, and without the tweet's inclusion, I expected far worse. Definitely shouldn't have been expressed publicly right before the Olympics, however; Lisa Lampanelli she ain't.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Apparently, it's not just the one tweet. She also retweeted some comments by the ultra-right wing party, Golden Dawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom