Ollie's use of the timeout | The Boneyard

Ollie's use of the timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There was some criticism earlier in the season about KO's use, or lack thereof, of the timeout at key junctures. I couldn't argue the point at the time but I will say that tonight he used them wisely and to great effect. At least twice and maybe three times after KO called timeout to stop a run and set up a play we came out and got GREAT looks and easy hoops. Well done.

Reaction Score
He uses his timeouts like an NBA coach. The one at 12:03 was strange given the upcoming TV timeout, but we got a great shot out of it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He also had some good strategy to sneak in some rest for Bazz in the second half. He pulled Bazz out between the 5-6 minute and gave him a rest for about a minute. He put him back in just before the 4 minute mark knowing he'd have the TV timeout to rest as well.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I agreed with all of the TO's called. I just thought that we would have called a TO after Bazz's free throw attempt instead of before. I thought we were gonna set up the press and defense. Oh well it all worked out in the end!

Reaction Score
I can't recall the numbers but ESPN put up a graphic in the 2nd half showing how well we were scoring out of timeouts

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I can't recall the numbers but ESPN put up a graphic in the 2nd half showing how well we were scoring out of timeouts
Ollie draws great plays out of TO's. It seems every time we have at least one player open for a shot or a lay-in.

Reaction Score
no doubt calhoun has been going over the use of timeouts with him. Ollie is like a lot of talented novices. he is very elite in certain aspects of coaching, but is missing certain basic things. Luckily he is a quick learner and has calhoun as a mentor to immediately go over his mistakes.

Reaction Score
CTBasketball said:
I agreed with all of the TO's called. I just thought that we would have called a TO after Bazz's free throw attempt instead of before. I thought we were gonna set up the press and defense. Oh well it all worked out in the end!

Had to take it. The trainers had to come out on the court to treat him, which means he's required to check out of the game (otherwise people would fake injuries to stall/set up plays). If we don't call one, someone else has to shoot that foul shot.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
the timeout at 12:03 was absolutely amazing, the result was astonishingly good

Reaction Score
no doubt calhoun has been going over the use of timeouts with him. Ollie is like a lot of talented novices. he is very elite in certain aspects of coaching, but is missing certain basic things. Luckily he is a quick learner and has calhoun as a mentor to immediately go over his mistakes.

Imagine: He's in his second year as head coach (and after only a few years as an assistant). That's a scary thought:D

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
He has been learning the craft -- watching what works and what doesn't, repetetively enough to figure out why -- for the past 15 years.

Reaction Score
By far the best timeout was after Bazz was hurt and the trainer came out. Without using the timeout there Florida would've gotten to pick who they wanted to shoot the free throw because Bazz would've had to come out. By him calling the timeout Bazz was allowed to stay in and take/ make the free throw.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
willie99 said:
the timeout at 12:03 was absolutely amazing, the result was astonishingly good

It had better be if you're gonna call one there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom