Ollie's Desire To Surround Himself w/ Familiar Faces Prompted Lots Of Questions From NCAA (Amore) | The Boneyard

Ollie's Desire To Surround Himself w/ Familiar Faces Prompted Lots Of Questions From NCAA (Amore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie's Desire To Surround Himself With Familiar Faces Prompted Lots Of Questions From NCAA Investigators

>>In the 1,355 pages of documents, including 900 pages of interviews, released by UConn on June 20, pursuant to a Freedom of Information request, investigators delved into the roles and influence of Danny Griffin, who joined UConn in a non-coaching role in 2014; Derrek Hamilton, an outside trainer who is alleged to have worked with players on campus and in Atlanta in 2016; Boo Willingham, a UConn teammate of Ollie who was frequently at games; and others.

In culling the transcripts and documents, a perception emerges of a somewhat loosely managed program, with people engaging in activity — though not necessarily sordid — that constituted NCAA infractions. A recurring theme was Ollie’s gathering of people with coaching ability or aspirations for non-coaching positions, with the temptation to cross lines and engage in activities reserved by rules to certified coaches, perhaps without his knowledge.<<

Last edited:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Sounds like he didn't tighten up the program the way he was supposed to. This is all just a shame.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I don't see most of this as a big deal but he was just in way over his head and stopped listening to people, surrounded himself with yes men.

This in a nutshell

Reaction Score
If this was the NCAA against our current coach rather than UConn vs our ex coach, everyone would be losing their minds over how much of a nothing burger this all is.
JC didn't have any friends... only admirers

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
“I think you get the point,” Ollie told NCAA investigators on March 1. “I try to have people around me that I trust.”

I don't think that makes him any different than every other coach.

What really chaps my arse is that guys like Cal can have Drake, Jay Z, and a significant longtime connection to WWW....and the NCAA doesn't even sniff at him. Why the double standard?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't see most of this as a big deal but he was just in way over his head and stopped listening to people, surrounded himself with yes men.

Yeah, me neither. The only thing that raises and eyebrow is the Atlanta trainer. That's it. No idea if he was paid, and if so, by whom.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, me neither. The only thing that raises and eyebrow is the Atlanta trainer. That's it. No idea if he was paid, and if so, by whom.
The issue is how did our guys get there, who paid for the training, who paid for their room and meals not sure KO can get a pass on any this since the guy was on staff, IIRC.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

Or, he was in way over his head and knew he needed help wherever he could get it from his buddies.

Either way, he was in way over his head after being gift-wrapped the job by JC and then pushing him away.

Reaction Score
Man. This is the Throw Stuff on the wall and see what sticks theory. What program doesn't do stuff like this? If you are going to mess up man's character at least have the decency to have something more substantial. I mean give me a hooker story. Where a coach paid off some ladies to sleep with recruits. Or how about paying some tutor to take test for players or write papers for players. Make the stuff believable. This right here...reaching.

CL82

Reaction Score
Man. This is the Throw Stuff on the wall and see what sticks theory. What program doesn't do stuff like this? If you are going to mess up man's character at least have the decency to have something more substantial. I mean give me a hooker story. Where a coach paid off some ladies to sleep with recruits. Or how about paying some tutor to take test for players or write papers for players. Make the stuff believable. This right here...reaching.
No actually this is the "We are going to hold you to the zero tolerance contract that you signed." I respectfully submit that one's character is determined by one's actions regardless of whether or not they known. If you are uncomfortable with something being made public, don't do it.

CL82

Reaction Score
Was watching ESPN(Bilas?)who said almost all are "secondary infractions", and he should be paid. We'll see.
Lol at "almost all secondary violations" which, of course, means that some were not. Regardless, even secondary violations are grounds for a "just cause" termination of the contract under its terms. The talking heads on ESPN, including Bilas, need educate themselves or shut up.

Reaction Score
This is exactly what Susan said it was. There is just a pattern of not paying attention to rules. Not a bunch of huge stuff or any huge items for that matter. Almost just not paying attention. Which is the approach he took to his whole program. It isn’t Louisville level for sure North Carolina is different and should have been severely penalized by the entity that accredits colleges not the NCAA. At Penn State the MCAA also should have stayed out as that was a criminal matter. If the payoffs alleged to be happening at UL and others turn out true, those are both criminal and NCAA violations so both the US Attorney and the NCAA should take action. 1 vs individuals the other vs institutions.

Reaction Score
This is exactly what Susan said it was. There is just a pattern of not paying attention to rules. Not a bunch of huge stuff or any huge items for that matter. Almost just not paying attention. Which is the approach he took to his whole program. It isn’t Louisville level for sure North Carolina is different and should have been severely penalized by the entity that accredits colleges not the NCAA. At Penn State the MCAA also should have stayed out as that was a criminal matter. If the payoffs alleged to be happening at UL and others turn out true, those are both criminal and NCAA violations so both the US Attorney and the NCAA should take action. 1 vs individuals the other vs institutions.
Exactly, we all know he wasn't doing his job via the results on the court and this was doubly true behind the scenes and in so many different aspects. I really don't understand arguments for a 'contractual right to future pay' pursuant to work they weren't even doing in present tense according to that contract.

C

Chief00

I think the Atlanta workout trip may be more than a secondary violation?
I also don’t know if the UConn FOI would necessarily capture all evidence or allegation collaboration the NCAA might have if it’s from external sources (never employed by UConn).

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

This is so true

I hope you are right, but I remember last time people underestimated things for a long time - yet a source told me it was going to be bad. When I posted that I got quite a reaction about how wrong I was. The source turned out to be correct.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Was watching ESPN(Bilas?)who said almost all are "secondary infractions", and he should be paid. We'll see.
Jay, it's not your money or your media property, so it's pretty easy to support the business model and say something like this.

But you've been through law school, spent years cultivating a high integrity reputation, and certainly know there's more than reasonable basis for locating a settlement point more sensible than all or nothing settlement.

On balance, it's disappointing that you don't expect better of yourself than I do. Oh wait, to be fair, I hope it wasn't Bilas who said this.

Reaction Score
Jay, it's not your money or your media property, so it's pretty easy to support the business model and say something like this.

But you've been through law school, spent years cultivating a high integrity reputation, and certainly know there's more than reasonable basis for locating a settlement point more sensible than all or nothing settlement.

On balance, it's disappointing that you don't expect better of yourself than I do. Oh wait, to be fair, I hope it wasn't Bilas who said this.

Accusations flying between UConn, Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44