Ollie's coaching | The Boneyard

Ollie's coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
B1G TIME!! He completely out coached Pastner, and exploited mismatches especially Daniels and Kromah. Memphis is a very good team and we went into their house and TOOK IT just like we always did under Coach Calhoun with our backs against the wall. We played 40 minutes tonight folks and I'm so proud of this team. This win tonight reminds me of beating Indiana in Bloomington in 07'. My tweet below sums up this win in a nutshell..

sam s ‏@huskiesnyc
That win epitomizes what UConn basketball is all about. Get down everyone writes us off then we take the nation by storm. #bleedblue

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Giffey played great when he was in. Could have used him in some of our offensive lapses, especially when Napier got rest.

Reaction Score
Agree that his was one of KO's better coaching jobs. Not to be a downer, but one move really puzzled me though. After Brimah fouls out late in the half when we are up by 7 or 8 with the game still in doubt, he sends Nolan in when the one thing we don't want to do is foul. What does Nolan do, he fouls almost immediately about 10 seconds into their possession when there was absolutely no need to. Why not TO or play small, just don't have Nolan out there at that point.

On the plus side, he used OC and Kromah perfectly and overall his substitution patterns for the 5 were great.

Reaction Score
KO is a process and his timeliness on subs and TO's the last 2 have been very influential in the outcome and improvement is noticeable…….. all Ten Toes have been in as of late!

But again, they have played really well in 2 straight games and he gets a check mark for assisting in this bounce back………the players have been all in too so they make the staff look good!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
How about the progress the team has made in the rebounds department?!? Three straight games we outrebounded the opponent. First time in Ollie's tenure that has happened.
Yep.

Team is positive rebounding for the season. Big upgrade over last year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Giffey played great when he was in. Could have used him in some of our offensive lapses, especially when Napier got rest.
I actually felt OC had a better game than Giffey. I thought KO was a master in this game. There were only five possessions that UConn lost composure. The turnovers were a problem, but the flow of the game was all UConn's except those five possessions.

caw

Reaction Score
I actually felt OC had a better game than Giffey. I thought KO was a master in this game. There were only five possessions that UConn lost composure. The turnovers were a problem, but the flow of the game was all UConn's except those five possessions.

I'd just love to know what Napier was thinking on those two passes to the bench. Was the corner man supposed to cut? Was the pass just off? Napier has had a few of those this year where it looks like he expects the player to do something but the player doesn't, I wonder if the player should be.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I'd just love to know what Napier was thinking on those two passes to the bench. Was the corner man supposed to cut? Was the pass just off? Napier has had a few of those this year where it looks like he expects the player to do something but the player doesn't, I wonder if the player should be.

One of them you could clearly tell came off his hand early - as he was wiping his hand off after the pass. I just assumed the same thing happened again.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
In the UCF game players were cutting to the basket on the weak side as Bazz penetrated the lane and Bazz was finding them. I think he was expecting them to do that in those plays as well. Nolan just messed up on which side of the basket he was supposed to position himself on the first toss to the trainer. OC chose to stay on the perimeter, but the play should have been for him to move to the basket, if only for the purpose of rebounding. It was less of an issue IMO, then Nolan not being in position. It's a situation in which players learn to understand what each is thinking. I'm sure we'll see OC go to the basket in the future if this play is repeated.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
One of them you could clearly tell came off his hand early - as he was wiping his hand off after the pass. I just assumed the same thing happened again.

On the other one, he was barking at Calhoun.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He was trying to pull back the pass because he realized Nolan was out of position, but he noticed it too late.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
These are classic examples of how far ahead he is compared to the rest of the team outside of RB. He has to dumb down his game, every game to play at the rest of the teams level.

Reaction Score
Agree that his was one of KO's better coaching jobs. Not to be a downer, but one move really puzzled me though. After Brimah fouls out late in the half when we are up by 7 or 8 with the game still in doubt, he sends Nolan in when the one thing we don't want to do is foul. What does Nolan do, he fouls almost immediately about 10 seconds into their possession when there was absolutely no need to. Why not TO or play small, just don't have Nolan out there at that point.

On the plus side, he used OC and Kromah perfectly and overall his substitution patterns for the 5 were great.

That's not true. Nolan came in with 4 fouls with about 4 and a half to go and didn't foul out until a minute or so left. Not saying he went above and beyond but at least kept us with a big body in there

Reaction Score
Another thing that Coach brings is stability. During the whole game there was no pressing, no rushing, the guys knew what was happening and responded to it every time.
Have they arrived? We will see Sat nite.
Go Huskies.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That's not true. Nolan came in with 4 fouls with about 4 and a half to go and didn't foul out until a minute or so left. Not saying he went above and beyond but at least kept us with a big body in there
And that fifth foul was a real question mark.

Reaction Score
And that fifth foul was a real question mark.

The point I was making is that Nolan is a foul waiting to happen. He committed 5 fouls in only 13 minutes. No way he should be in the game at that point questionable foul or not. Go small or put TO in, but not Nolan.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The point I was making is that Nolan is a foul waiting to happen. He committed 5 fouls in only 13 minutes. No way he should be in the game at that point questionable foul or not. Go small or put TO in, but not Nolan.
That's second guessing. In the end KO was forced to do this. But I'm not sure things would have turned out better or worse had he done things differently. Niels had three fouls on him and part of the decision to keep Nolan in until he fouled out might have been to have Niels available at the end.

Reaction Score
That's second guessing. In the end KO was forced to do this. But I'm not sure things would have turned out better or worse had he done things differently. Niels had three fouls on him and part of the decision to keep Nolan in until he fouled out might have been to have Niels available at the end.

I thought the same thing as hugo at the time but it worked out and I agree with fleudy, they may have thought the best team in the end was to go small and protect the ball, make FT's…….

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing as hugo at the time but it worked out and I agree with fleudy, they may have thought the best team in the end was to go small and protect the ball, make FT's…….
All game you could tell they had their preferences who they wanted in at crunch time. When AB had two fouls in the first half, KO put in PN for a stretch even though he was also saddled with two fouls. They only took Nolan out and put in Tyler when Phil picked up the third. You could tell their preference was to have AB in crunch time as opposed to PN. Unfortunately thing nothing they did prevented AB from fouling out early.

When AB fouled out I suspect that some similar reasoning went into effect by keeping PN in and protecting NG. It's not necessarily the preferences of the coaching staff to have to constantly juggle players in to play the post, but the players are not giving the staff much choice. The best thing is they are improving and if UConn does well, some of those calls don't get called in the future as reputations develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom