Ollie wants to win soon | The Boneyard

Ollie wants to win soon

Reaction Score
I have a feeling all this turnover is to bring in guys that can have a greater impact than the ones leaving in an immediate fashion. He needs to have a big year next year, and probably felt that those guys were not ready to take it to the next level. So he probably will bring in some seasoned transfers, maybe a solid international and maybe another freshman or two, that are willing to play some D. It is a little unsettling, with all of this turnover...but again, I am taking the wait and see approach. Lets see what we have come November 1st. The one thing that we do have going for us is that we might, once again, have one of the best point guards in the country next year in Jalen adams....that is a recipe for Husky success. A great guard with some solid d, and some great role players. I think for me the big question mark will be how gilbert and Larrier return....will they have a long adjustment period.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
shopping

(Tom would have a stroke if I used the actual album cover.)

Reaction Score
I would not say its blind faith...its just not freaking out. Things can always go a couple of ways....I do not have the ability to see what our roster will be like come November. We were pretty bad this year in quite a few games. We needed some drastic measures. The obvious issues with going this route is that, we may be relying on some players who were injured last year, and some chemistry issues. But by all means, get rid of people who cannot or will not give their all on the defensive end. All of our championship teams, had great defense. I do however have faith that Ollie is going to try his hardest to revitalize our roster...and I am hoping he will...we will see.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Only if the players coming in are worst..highly unlikely. .
Really? I'd say it's tough to say the reverse. This late in the game it's hard to replace sophomores who got plenty of development as freshman with whatever players are left in the class.

Reaction Score
Really? I'd say it's tough to say the reverse. This late in the game it's hard to replace sophomores who got plenty of development as freshman with whatever players are left in the

Is there a limit on transfer players?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I feel really good about having 4 players turn their back on the program, just to have a chance at landing better recruits/transfers, and hope they all gel into a winning team.

Honestly if this thing blows up in KO's face, he should probably be given his walking papers in 2018. Everyone is replaceable we can't mess around anymore.

Reaction Score
Even in the wildly optimistic world where we pulled in Bamba and Jordan Tucker or something (neither of which I expect will happen), I can't imagine how chasing off our current PF/C and SF/PF would be in the best interest. While Bamba would start...look at our roster. There's plenty of minutes for Durham and/or Jackson no matter what.

While I think the team will be fine long run this is not something we can spin in a positive light, I imagine. We need players!

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I feel really good about having 4 players turn their back on the program, just to have a chance at landing better recruits/transfers, and hope they all gel into a winning team.

Honestly if this thing blows up in KO's face, he should probably be given his walking papers in 2018. Everyone is replaceable we can't mess around anymore.
The truth is that they didn't gel that well to begin with. Personally, the only major losses here are MAL and Jackson (to an extent). Both Enoch and Durhma were terrible defensively and did show promise on offense but weren't nearly polished enough. I am still very optimistic for next year. Our core players (Adams, Vital, Larrier, Gilbert) are coming back so that is key.

Reaction Score
I am still very optimistic for next year. Our core players (Adams, Vital, Larrier, Gilbert) are coming back so that is key.
If I were 100% convinced that they would all be healthy, and we pulled in a serviceable big/back-up wing/guard (not great mind you, just serviceable) I'd agree. But those are four variables. We can still do the last three, but we can't guarantee the lack of injuries. Without that guarantee, Jackson and at least one of Enoch/Durham would have made me feel much better.

Now, if we can get more than serviceable players...

shizzle787

Reaction Score
If I were 100% convinced that they would all be healthy, and we pulled in a serviceable big/back-up wing/guard (not great mind you, just serviceable) I'd agree. But those are four variables. We can still do the last three, but we can't guarantee the lack of injuries. Without that guarantee, Jackson and at least one of Enoch/Durham would have made me feel much better.

Now, if we can get more than serviceable players...
Sandro Mamukelashvili.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If we're replacing players because they can't defend, then what is KO looking for? We were a pretty solid defensive team, 63rd rated adjusted defense and the 3rd best defensive team in the conference. For a team that was 16-17 that's pretty good...

Reaction Score
Sandro Mamukelashvili.
One, let's get him.

Two--I like his game. I think he'd fit KO's ideal style. But even then, the past few years should teach us not to be overly optimistic of shooting translating in the freshman year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Even in the wildly optimistic world where we pulled in Bamba and Jordan Tucker or something (neither of which I expect will happen), I can't imagine how chasing off our current PF/C and SF/PF would be in the best interest. While Bamba would start...look at our roster. There's plenty of minutes for Durham and/or Jackson no matter what.

While I think the team will be fine long run this is not something we can spin in a positive light, I imagine. We need players!
Things look bad and chances are next season the team struggles. What do you want to bet that if UConn announces a Harris or a Mamoudou commit that there will be threads with people proclaiming next season the team will be a top 25 team and it was a good thing these players were not part of the program.

I don't like what has happened this season/post season, but next year was not written before all the post season stuff and it certainly is not written now. I'm keeping my imagination on full throttle and hoping the recruiters pull some rabbits out of the hat and KO can put together a relatively good season next year.

C

Chief00

I saw some talent in both Enoch and Durham. Please don't give me a statistical counter argument because it did not manifest itself last season. Just trust in Chief because this is a talent assessment not a fact I can confirm at this time.
Having said that if they can recruit guys who can immediately produce, at this late time, then go do it.

I do agree just about no one work hard or effective enough and the only guys that improved were Adams and Vital and they are two that are coming back.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If we're replacing players because they can't defend, then what is KO looking for? We were a pretty solid defensive team, 63rd rated adjusted defense and the 3rd best defensive team in the conference. For a team that was 16-17 that's pretty good...
Well certainly Steve, Juwan and MAL weren't part of that factor. Vance was decent. The seniors factored more in that decent number and people who were glad to see them leave did not understand their contributions to defense.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling all this turnover is to bring in guys that can have a greater impact than the ones leaving in an immediate fashion. He needs to have a big year next year, and probably felt that those guys were not ready to take it to the next level. So he probably will bring in some seasoned transfers, maybe a solid international and maybe another freshman or two, that are willing to play some D. It is a little unsettling, with all of this turnover...but again, I am taking the wait and see approach. Lets see what we have come November 1st. The one thing that we do have going for us is that we might, once again, have one of the best point guards in the country next year in Jalen adams....that is a recipe for Husky success. A great guard with some solid d, and some great role players. I think for me the big question mark will be how gilbert and Larrier return....will they have a long adjustment period.
Jalen Adams is not one of the best point guards in the country.

I love that he's a Husky, he's a very good player, he carried us at times last year, but he's not even the best point guard at UConn. He was a combo guard playing out of position. If he makes the NBA, he'll have to learn to play the point better, specifically his handle, shooting, and propensity for turnovers. Kemba improved his shot over the years which is what turned him into the dangerous player he is now. Shabazz was always a decent shooter, but by senior year his range was incredible. Jalen really needs to work on his shot and cut down his turnovers if he's going to make the next level.

I think Gilbert, Adams, and Larrier is the start to a very good lineup. But panic is justifiable. This class was supposed to be one of the top 5 in the country. 2 of them transferred out. 2 of them missed the entire season, and one was better than we expected. We lost the best shooter from a team that shoots poorly, we lost the only true center from a team with a scary-thin front court (literally and figuratively), and we also lost a commit who would have provided depth at PG; where our best option is looking injury prone.

Calling this much turnover "a little unsettling" is like saying the UConn women had a "nice little run for 111 games".

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams is not one of the best point guards in the country.

I love that he's a Husky, he's a very good player, he carried us at times last year, but he's not even the best point guard at UConn. He was a combo guard playing out of position. If he makes the NBA, he'll have to learn to play the point better, specifically his handle, shooting, and propensity for turnovers. Kemba improved his shot over the years which is what turned him into the dangerous player he is now. Shabazz was always a decent shooter, but by senior year his range was incredible. Jalen really needs to work on his shot and cut down his turnovers if he's going to make the next level.

I think Gilbert, Adams, and Larrier is the start to a very good lineup. But panic is justifiable. This class was supposed to be one of the top 5 in the country. 2 of them transferred out. 2 of them missed the entire season, and one was better than we expected. We lost the best shooter from a team that shoots poorly, we lost the only true center from a team with a scary-thin front court (literally and figuratively), and we also lost a commit who would have provided depth at PG; where our best option is looking injury prone.

Calling this much turnover "a little unsettling" is like saying the UConn women had a "nice little run for 111 games".
He's one of the best guards in the country. Period.

Reaction Score
Things look bad and chances are next season the team struggles. What do you want to bet that if UConn announces a Harris or a Mamoudou commit that there will be threads with people proclaiming next season the team will be a top 25 team and it was a good thing these players were not part of the program.

I don't like what has happened this season/post season, but next year was not written before all the post season stuff and it certainly is not written now. I'm keeping my imagination on full throttle and hoping the recruiters pull some rabbits out of the hat and KO can put together a relatively good season next year.
Here's the thing: I'm on record as thinking that--providing we fill our roster out a bit (not a guarantee) and that Gilbert and Larrier (and Diarra to a lesser extent) stay health--I think this team can actually be sneaky good. We'd have a true PG, a dynamite combo guard who can run the point, a sniper in CV, and an all around stud scorer in Larrier. That team can win games when it jells and the injured get their legs.

But without a post player I'm confident in, or back-ups (and I think MAL would have gotten good minutes off the bench), I'm much less confident.

Reaction Score
I saw some talent in both Enoch and Durham. Please don't give me a statistical counter argument because it did not manifest itself last season. Just trust in Chief because this is a talent assessment not a fact I can confirm at this time.

I do agree just about no one work hard or effective enough and the only guys that improved were Adams and Vital and they are two that are coming back.

Yes, both showed flashes of the talent that led to scholarship offers. The statistical counter-argument comes in when people like you argue they should have played more than Brimah played. If you want to win, flashes of talent doesn't cut it, production does. And Brimah (with his faults) produced at a much better rate than both of them did; so he got the minutes he deserved.

And please don't pretend you didn't say Enoch should have gotten more minutes instead of Brimah.

C

Chief00

Well certainly Steve, Juwan and MAL weren't part of that factor. Vance was decent. The seniors factored more in that decent number and people who were glad to see them leave did not understand their contributions to defense.
I understand that but statistically our problem was an offense which would not score for many minutes at a time.

Reaction Score
Enoch could play no defense and was foul prone. Durham couldn't get minutes on a bad team ( not to mention backing out on a coach who stayed with him through two ACl surgeries). I will take a chance on the unknown

C

Chief00

Yes, both showed flashes of the talent that led to scholarship offers. The statistical counter-argument comes in when people like you argue they should have played more than Brimah played. If you want to win, flashes of talent doesn't cut it, production does. And Brimah (with his faults) produced at a much better rate than both of them did; so he got the minutes he deserved.

And please don't pretend you didn't say Enoch should have gotten more minutes instead of Brimah.
I believe Enoch should have played more than Brimah the last 1/3 of the year - to see what he could do before this type of thing happened. We weren't going anywhere last season.
Let's keep in mind you need to score baskets to win games and not turn the ball over.. Brimah had a 0.1 assist to turnover ratio - I have never seen one so bad in all my years of basketball. He was not the efficient player some built him up to be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom