Ollie quote on Alterique and Adams for upcoming season... | The Boneyard

Ollie quote on Alterique and Adams for upcoming season...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Alterique Gilbert Hopes To Alter UConn's Basketball Fortunes - TU

“We are going to be a faster team, I really believe, because of Alterique and Jalen pushing the ball and those two guys playing a lot,” Ollie said. “I don’t like calling it a two-headed monster. I don’t know what the word is. But we’ve used two guards like that and had success. I can really get back to playing that way. You can really get back to those two ‘push guards’ like Kemba and Shabazz.”

Getting excited!!

Reaction Score
Is he saying Gibbs lacked a sense of urgency?:rolleyes:

Geez, I think you can say that Gibbs had a different style of play and still respect him as a human, its not like every player needs to be pedal to the metal. I doubt Gibbs would claim he's a 'faster' player than little AG, but why pass up the opportunity to zing a guy who's ten times better at the sport than you, right?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“Being vocal and being an extension of Coach [Kevin] Ollie on and off the court,”
“Bringing my personality to the table is vital. That means being a gym rat – every day.
“Leadership is what connects all the great guards who have been here.”

:)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why must we look to last year? This team should be faster all over the court. Adams should be improved. Gilbert has quickness as a strength. Ollie is excited about these two young guys and he should be. It's not a knock on anyone else.

Reaction Score
Yea cant really compare, different dynamics and chemistry. Not only is Gibbs gone, but Dman and Shon miller too. So now you are talking about Purvis and Larrier being in there, 2 guys that are very fast and athletic. Those chnages affect so many of the player that were here last year in such big ways its almost impossible to know what to expect and to be able to trace back any positive changes to the absent of any one former player.

Reaction Score
DHam had the ball more than any other player on our team, and he's slow and inefficient.

Now our guards will dominate the ball and they're both extremely athletic, and his replacement (Larrier/Purvis small ball 3) is much more athletic. The whole offense is going to look different and much more speed oriented. A welcome change, IMO. Fewer half court stalemates and more pressure on opposing defenses ability to play physically and keep their man in front of them. We should be excited, because this is the "pro style" offense Ollie craves.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Been waiting 2 years to watch Alterique play. I think he will be amazing.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If we get any kind of rebounding this kind of speed with pressure D could be really exciting to watch and scary to opponents. Looking forward to contributions
from the Vital and the bigs as well. Swarming like a pack of huskies!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If we get any kind of rebounding this kind of speed with pressure D could be really exciting to watch and scary to opponents. Looking forward to contributions
from the Vital and the bigs as well. Swarming like a pack of huskies!
Particularly if the rebounder knows how to throw an outlet pass. We've had some flashy big men over the years but give me a Jake Vokshul or Travis Knight to start the break and this bunch becomes very dangerous.

Reaction Score
Gibbs may have played the PG position, but he really wasn't a point guard. He was a spot up shooter who averaged 2.3 assists last season. That is not a point guard in my mind.

Reaction Score
He averaged 3.8 and 4.2 assist at seton Hall. Maybe we just didn't play him as a point guard.

C

Chief00

Alterique Gilbert Hopes To Alter UConn's Basketball Fortunes - TU

“We are going to be a faster team, I really believe, because of Alterique and Jalen pushing the ball and those two guys playing a lot,” Ollie said. “I don’t like calling it a two-headed monster. I don’t know what the word is. But we’ve used two guards like that and had success. I can really get back to playing that way. You can really get back to those two ‘push guards’ like Kemba and Shabazz.”

Getting excited!!

Interesting, personally Chief00 never viewed Bazz as a push guard!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
gilbert and adams starting is just facts now, i expect a lineup of AG/JA/Purv/Larrier/Brimah to start the season.

Is it? I could easily see JA/Purv/Larrier/Facey/Brimah as well.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
"True point guard" is ridiculous hokum. It's meaningless. He played point guard very well at Seton Hall.
This has been an interesting exchange of comments. Yes he played the point guard position which can be construed as being a point guard. Was he best suited to be a point
guard or a two guard? Most probably a two guard. The main reason is that his strength was spot up shooting threes (pretty good) or slashing to the basket. He looked lost in trying
to run the half court offense and when he slashed to the basket his head was down so that it telegraphed a "straight to the hoop I'm going to shoot" message. This seemed to make it
easier for defenders. Hence, harder to finish. I could be wrong but I don't remember him passing much, if any, in traffic. That is the essence of point guard play to me. Creating in traffic especially.
Did KO have a choice? Not really. It would have been awful to throw JA into the point at the start of his freshman year. Overall it was tough experiment with a new team etc.
I think he did the best he could but I don't believe his best position is point guard and if someone penetrates he needs to keep his head up and be creative in order to keep the defense honest.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I am very much looking forward to the additional quickness and better D this upcoming season.
Gibbs was who he was - a decent shooter and at times a capable ball handler - yes he stood out at Seton Hal but his role was different at UConn
DHam has a lot of haters, but I for one, had an appreciation for his game, Did he handle too much? Yes but with the exception of JA there was no true point guard.
In the end to the many boneheads - if this team fails to go undefeated - it's KO's fault -unfortunately that's the consistent I have seen here
I feel the 16-17 season can be very exciting. Young/hungry, fast, athletic - a great combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom