Ollie Landing Spot Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie Landing Spot Thread

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
NBA assistant makes sense. What about Pepperdine though?

Reaction Score
Yup, assistant coach of the Lakers, ollie and Magic are friends

Reaction Score
Ollie will coach another college team with a “chip” on his shoulder. And thats where he preforms best. Someone will hire a coach who won a NC. And he will have success.

He is great when every odd is against him.

Reaction Score
watch, he will probably land the Pitt job, all of the drama queens on this board will be upset because he is a ACC coach and we are mired in the abyss.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Ollie will coach another college team with a “chip” on his shoulder. And thats where he preforms best. Someone will hire a coach who won a NC. And he will have success.

He is great when every odd is against him.
Everything was against him the last two years, how did that work out?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
No matter where he ends up I wish him well and hope he ends up being a head coach in the Pros at some point in the future. I think he is made for the Pro game.

Reaction Score
I see him as a strong number two at a top college program or in the NBA for a while.

He’s not equipped to be a successful head coach for a lesser college program right now. The type of basketball he wants to play only really succeeds if he has better players at basically every position and an otherwordly point guard. That requires exceptional skill at identifying and/or developing players and Ollie has been, at best, average in those departments. It’s possible he remakes himself and succeds somewhere down the road though.

Reaction Score
NBA Assistant is a lot of work and little money. So LOL at that one.

After the travesty that the UConn program became under his watch, who's going to give him a job that pays anywhere near what he got here?

Reaction Score
I've been very hard on Ollie during his tenure here - but I also believe with every fiber of my being he'll be a really, really, really - STUPID good pro coach. For all the reasons he was awful at UConn.

At the end of the day, Ollie is pretty forward thinking with regards to position-less hoops of the pro game where he gets out of the way and lets players create. The problem is - in the college game, the players just aren't developed enough or good enough to be trusted to run that style. It's simply the difference between a pro player and a college player. Unless you're at a place like Duke/Kentucky with mature players LIKE the players they get - you're not going to have that style work.

And again - i'm going on rumors i've heard - but a lot of people behind the scenes always talked about how he was less of a father figure and way more of a brawny vet who's been around a league for a long time taking a youngster under his wing. And it didn't work more often than not.

I think as an assistant and a motivator in the pro ranks, he'd be a boon for anyone who'd want him. I just think he's really well built for that - and not for this. I wish him only the best of luck. I love the guy, respect what he's given the program and only want to see him see, find and feel future success. He deserves it. This just wasn't the right fit.

Reaction Score
I absolutely think Ollie is going to be an NBA assistant. It fits his style of coaching better. I do wish him the best, but I for one am ready for a change.
Yes, that will probably happen, but before that ESPN gives him his own show following Sports Center for the next several months.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom