Ollie Gives Updates on the Team | The Boneyard

Ollie Gives Updates on the Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Injury Report:
@EdDaigneault: #UConn coach Kevin Ollie said Shabazz Napier is back on the court. Tyler Olander about a month away, Omar Calhoun about1.5 months away.

Wolf Situation:
@EdDaigneault: #UConn coach Kevin Ollie said Shabazz Napier is back on the court. Tyler Olander about a month away, Omar Calhoun about1.5 months away.

Team and Schedule:
@AmoreCourant: More Kevin Ollie "we going to have to play with no (individual) agendas" #uconnmen
@AmoreCourant: Add Boston Univ and Detroit to list of tentative non conference opponents for #uconnmen

DeAndre Daniels:
@DaveBorges: Ollie on #UConn's DeAndre Daniels going to Kevin Durant camp: "I called KD and told him to take care of him, give him a couple of secrets."
That's great having a coach that knows many players in the NBA and he also knows the stars.

Shabazz Napier:
Napier is headed to a Nike Elite Youth Basketball (NEYB) beginning Monday in Union, N.J. The Point Guard Skills Academy features Deron Williams, Kyrie Irving and some of the top point guards in the nation (high school and college).

http://instorrsnow.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/ollie-at-the-tpc/

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
This was my favorite line from the article. Calhoun sure was a hard worker who wasn't softened by success.

“I learned a lot from coach (Calhoun),” Ollie said. “After we won our championship (in 2011) I was like ‘I’m about to book my trip to Tahiti.’ He was like ‘Monday we’ve got a meeting.’ ”

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Injury Report:

Wolf Situation:

Team and Schedule:
@AmoreCourant: More Kevin Ollie "we going to have to play with no (individual) agendas" #uconnmen
@AmoreCourant: Add Boston Univ and Detroit to list of tentative non conference opponents for #uconnmen

DeAndre Daniels:
@DaveBorges: Ollie on #UConn's DeAndre Daniels going to Kevin Durant camp: "I called KD and told him to take care of him, give him a couple of secrets."
That's great having a coach that knows many players in the NBA and he also knows the stars.

Shabazz Napier:
Napier is headed to a Nike Elite Youth Basketball (NEYB) beginning Monday in Union, N.J. The Point Guard Skills Academy features Deron Williams, Kyrie Irving and some of the top point guards in the nation (high school and college).

http://instorrsnow.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/ollie-at-the-tpc/

That's the kind of rolodex that Ollie can sell to HS recruits.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That's the kind of rolodex that Ollie can sell to HS recruits.

that's what i was thinking, to have kd on speed dial is a HUGE recruiting atvantage that i'm sure Texas abuses a lot

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Okay, read actual article....seems to me that Wolf should have a time limit, but whatever will be will be.

Reaction Score
Ollie saying he "wishes Wolf the best" is a CLEAR indication that he is not expecting him back. That is classic PC speak for "moving on..."

Reaction Score
He added that the decision to allow Wolf back as a non-scholarship player was "a collaborative effort, coming from Susan, Warde and myself. We worked together on that."

Does anyone else find it strange that among a campus of however-many-thousand students, faculty, and staff, that the president of the university is called in to decide the fate of a single athlete?

Reaction Score
He added that the decision to allow Wolf back as a non-scholarship player was "a collaborative effort, coming from Susan, Warde and myself. We worked together on that."

Does anyone else find it strange that among a campus of however-many-thousand students, faculty, and staff, that the president of the university is called in to decide the fate of a single athlete?

Yes. But when you think back, it's no more ridiculous than the PR stunt of making sure Ollie "cared about academics."

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Ollie saying he "wishes Wolf the best" is a CLEAR indication that he is not expecting him back. That is classic PC speak for "moving on..."

That and "if he wanted" rather than "if he wants" makes it seem unlikely Enosch will be back.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
That and "if he wanted" rather than "if he wants" makes it seem unlikely Enosch will be back.

Hmm... the Borges article does say "wants" and not "wanted". That thickens the plot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
@AmoreCourant: More Kevin Ollie "we going to have to play with no (individual) agendas"

That's the key right there. We're going to be good. But if KO can pull the above off we can be great.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
He added that the decision to allow Wolf back as a non-scholarship player was "a collaborative effort, coming from Susan, Warde and myself. We worked together on that.

Ok was it
Ollie - He has to go
Warde and Susan lets find a way
...or vica versa?

Reaction Score
That's the key right there. We're going to be good. But if KO can pull the above off we can be great.

And not an easy task when you think about 3 guys who were considering throwing their names into the draft! Will they realize the success of the team will prove their worth to the scouts just by being part of that........or will some feel the need to show their abilities outside the realm of the team? I have my thoughts in both directions and this is a big task for KP and the staff..........

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And not an easy task when you think about 3 guys who were considering throwing their names into the draft! Will they realize the success of the team will prove their worth to the scouts just by being part of that........or will some feel the need to show their abilities outside the realm of the team? I have my thoughts in both directions and this is a big task for KP and the staff..........

You're right, it won't be easy. And KO knows the potential pitfalls, hence his getting out in front of it with this recent comment. But I'm thinking he can do it. The Bazz and Boat jacking it up at will scenario I feared last year never really occurred. And DD never overly forced things even once it all seemed to come together for him. By mid-season, Omar did a nice job picking his spots as well. I'm gonna attribute all this to good coaching and a good bunch of guys that want to win. I think we'll be a player all season. Maybe even better than Providence.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

When it comes to a significant contributor on the highest profile and most exposed sports program at the school, there is a lot of public relations mud to wade through. A run-of-the-mill student can be dismissed or welcomed back with little to no fanfare. I would find it more remarkable if she wasn't involved.

Reaction Score

All indications are that both Boatright and Napier came into last year thinking that it would be their last in college too. I think it's safe to say that it didn't change the way they played. Some could argue that Boatright plays selfishly at times, but I don't think that has much to do with the NBA. I just think the AAU mentality hasn't completely come out of his system yet.

The reason I don't worry about this is chaning their games is that NBA scouts aren't going to care if these guys average 20 points per game if they shoot 38% and don't run the offense well. They both can only play the PG position at the next level so the things that NBA scouts are going to want to see (limited turnovers, high shooting percentages, etc.) are exactly the same things that the team needs from them anyways.

And in DeAndre's case, I think we should welcome him looking for his offense as often as possible.

Reaction Score
You're right, it won't be easy. And KO knows the potential pitfalls, hence his getting out in front of it with this recent comment. But I'm thinking he can do it. The Bazz and Boat jacking it up at will scenario I feared last year never really occurred. And DD never overly forced things even once it all seemed to come together for him. By mid-season, Omar did a nice job picking his spots as well. I'm gonna attribute all this to good coaching and a good bunch of guys that want to win. I think we'll be a player all season. Maybe even better than Providence.

While I like your optimism and enthusiasm you do not need to add to the expectations we have for KO and the team by asking them to be Providence too.......c'mon Waq that's just not fair!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom