Ollie can not be fired. | The Boneyard

Ollie can not be fired.

Reaction Score
At least, not right now. First, there is the matter of 10 million bucks. That's a lot. But UConn may not have to pay it -if- the NCAA charges Ollie's Huskies with something and gives the university an out. So, UConn has to wait a while and see how the "investigation" plays out. If Ollie is cleared by the investigation, perhaps you give him an extra season. If he is found guilty, he is fired without a ten million dollar penalty.

The key in all of this is the NCAA. Unfortunately, the NCAA will always do what is worst for UConn. So they will probably delay releasing the findings of the investigation until after the beginning of next season. Just leave us freakin' hangin'.

If we ignore all that and just fire Ollie and pay the piper, we have to interview coaches with an outstanding investigation ready to come in and put the program in jail. That would hurt both the coaching search and the eventual hire.

Sticking with Ollie until this all plays out makes the most sense. We have to be clear of this nonsense before we can start rehabilitating the program in earnest. And who knows, maybe Ollie bounces back. Or maybe a very large meteor hits Earth.

Reaction Score
the FBI/NCAA investigation will take years, how patient are people?? LOL I know the answer.

Reaction Score
At least, not right now. First, there is the matter of 10 million bucks. That's a lot. But UConn may not have to pay it -if- the NCAA charges Ollie's Huskies with something and gives the university an out. So, UConn has to wait a while and see how the "investigation" plays out. If Ollie is cleared by the investigation, perhaps you give him an extra season. If he is found guilty, he is fired without a ten million dollar penalty.

The key in all of this is the NCAA. Unfortunately, the NCAA will always do what is worst for UConn. So they will probably delay releasing the findings of the investigation until after the beginning of next season. Just leave us freakin' hangin'.

If we ignore all that and just fire Ollie and pay the piper, we have to interview coaches with an outstanding investigation ready to come in and put the program in jail. That would hurt both the coaching search and the eventual hire.

Sticking with Ollie until this all plays out makes the most sense. We have to be clear of this nonsense before we can start rehabilitating the program in earnest. And who knows, maybe Ollie bounces back. Or maybe a very large meteor hits Earth.
I have this absurd and weird feeling that giving KO $10 million as a buyout would be a reward. I want him back and to suffer like the rest of us for one more year.

Reaction Score
True enough. Since one of the articles said Benedict was not allowed to discuss the investigation...it would appear he knows what the allegations are, and if not whether they are true or not.
That would factor in the decision. They know, we do not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have this absurd and weird feeling that giving KO $10 million as a buyout would be a reward. I want him back and to suffer like the rest of us for one more year.
But then we have to watch terrible basketball for another season and still owe him something like $7 mil. We'd be cutting off our nose to spite our already ugly face

Reaction Score
So if Ollie stays, I guess we have to expect more sup-par recruiting because we are under investigation and Ollie status is unknown. This is not a good case for keeping him.

Reaction Score
Palatine come on man. This type of thinking will kill UCONN men's basketball.

It's one thing when you're losing and producing lottery picks like West Coast Huskies but when you're losing playing in a mediocre conference, with players that don't belong in high major teams with no prospect for improvement.

Ollie is done here. The parties will come to an agreement.

C

Chief00

You use this as leverage when you negotiate the buyout - saying if you don’t agree you run the risk of zero buyout.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Forget the NCAA investigation. It will take forever.

If you want to fire him, you fire him.

If you don’t want to fire him, you should be torn apart by gorillas and your brain should be thrown at a wall.

Fire him, negotiate some sort of settlement. There’s leverage on both sides, so figure it out.

Reaction Score
The investigation is their leverage.

Ollie runs the risk of losing all his money if it goes through and we're found to be in violation.

Negotiate down to a fair number. Probably will be in the $6 million range. They'll finance $4 million, likely pay $2 up front and then will have about $2 million to play with for a new coach.

This isn't really rocket science.

Reaction Score

Ollie runs the risk of losing all his money if it goes through and we're found to be in violation.

Negotiate down to a fair number. Probably will be in the $6 million range. They'll finance $4 million, likely pay $2 up front and then will have about $2 million to play with for a new coach.

Not a bad point. But Ollie probably has a good idea which way the investigation will go. So it cuts both ways.

Also -besides the money- the uncertainty isn't helpful in finding a new guy. So it makes firing KO harder.

Acting in haste benefits no one at this juncture.

C

Chief00

You are not far off.

C

Chief00

Not a bad point. But Ollie probably has a good idea which way the investigation will go. So it cuts both ways.

Also -besides the money- the uncertainty isn't helpful in finding a new guy. So it makes firing KO harder.

Sometimes you just have to make a decision and move forward if the present is unacceptable.

Reaction Score

Acting in haste benefits no one at this juncture.

Haste!?

Two straight losing seasons, the first in like, almost half a century. Back to back.
Losing to Wagner, Northeastern, Yale, East Carolina, - almost figured out a way to lose to Coppin State, blown out of the *building* by P5 opponents
A never ending turnstile of players the last three years
A never ending turnstile of coaches the last three years
The same offensive issues every game
An increasing number of defensive issues every game
The most 20 point+ blow outs in the history of the program
I mean we haven't been over a #7 seed in the NCAA tournament since 2010-2011. That's going on 8 years, now.
An NCAA Championship
An NCAA investigation
0-9 on national television
Lots of silly, distracting rumors around the program
A coach who's disinterested generally in recruiting
Nose-dive in attendance
All at the worst possible time

Three of the last four years have been actively *bad basketball*. The recruiting was never a problem, theoretically shouldn't be still - but we're finishing lower and lower every year in conference usa, basically.

NO NEED TO BE HASTY THOUGH

People realize that head coaches are fired for like... a quarter of this list at other very good-elite caliber programs, right? I mean I know JC was one heck of a luxury, but you can't possibly be this out of touch with the world around you....

Reaction Score
So in all honesty, who do you guys think is the best possible replacement and what kind of recruiting do you think they do in the first few years?

I'm almost looking forward to him getting fired even though I'm one of the few in the give him one more year camp. I just can't wait to see everyone backpedal or complain about what an awful job the new coach does with recruiting. We are not going to be landing 5star kids, so understand that

Reaction Score

Ollie knows if he did anything. So does the University.
If he did, there is room for negotiations. I think Ollie, regardless of how I feel of him as coach, is a high-character guy. I'd be surprised if he did anything blatantly along the lines of pitino or even the dude from Tennessee/Auburn who can't stay clean (forgot his name)... That said, there are shades of gray, and that's the basis of most negotiations.

Reaction Score
So in all honesty, who do you guys think is the best possible replacement and what kind of recruiting do you think they do in the first few years?

I'm almost looking forward to him getting fired even though I'm one of the few in the give him one more year camp. I just can't wait to see everyone backpedal or complain about what an awful job the new coach does with recruiting. We are not going to be landing 5star kids, so understand that

We need rebounders and shooters. I don't care what * star rating they are. We need players that put the name on the front of their jersey before the name on the back. I don't think we can say we've had those players the last few years.

Reaction Score
We need rebounders and shooters. I don't care what * star rating they are. We need players that put the name on the front of their jersey before the name on the back. I don't think we can say we've had those players the last few years.
Really? Yeah Carlton Diarra Whaley Anderson Vital Polley they're all clearly just in it for the payday, getting all their highlight reel footage and sports center top 10 plays while they run our program into the ground...

I agree we need rebounding, and the defections last year are a big reason why our front court was abysmal, but this name on the front of the jersey statement is kind of misguided

Reaction Score
We need players that put the name on the front of their jersey before the name on the back. I don't think we can say we've had those players the last few years.
Nobody's in a good mood today, but this is just a dumb thing to say. These guys sacrifice a heck of a lot for the program. The results aren't what we want, but most of the guys that have worn UConn on their chests have done it the right way.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom