Ollie and staff have done the impossible | The Boneyard

Ollie and staff have done the impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They have made the AAC look like the toughest basketball league we have ever played in. Than you see some of these powerhouses beating us like Temple take on a team like Villanova and than the reality of the situation gets exposed.

Could Kevin Ollie handle coaching in a Power 5 league right now? We are currently 2-6 against the good teams in our league with another possible loss to come. And the good teams are not that particularly good compared to your typical Power 5 league. I would say they are much worse.

Does this program place ANY premium on regular season performance anymore? Can anyone say we do at this point? We are consistently finishing as low as we possibly can in the conference standings. Did 2011 and 2014 give us the false sense of comfort that the season only matters in March?

You win this game you don't have to sweat out an NCAA berth. A team with any sense of awareness and leadership doesn't lose this game at home with a road trip to SMU coming up. A well coached team doesn't allow it to happen either.

And for the "Every game should be at Gampel" brigade, I also believe this team plays better at XL Center than Gampel and it has been that way for a couple of years. We usually win our big games at XL. And teams shoot far better at Gampel against us.

Reaction Score
They have made the AAC look like the toughest basketball league we have ever played in. Than you see some of these powerhouses beating us like Temple take on a team like Villanova and than the reality of the situation gets exposed.

Could Kevin Ollie handle coaching in a Power 5 league right now? We are currently 2-6 against the good teams in our league with another possible loss to come. And the good teams are not that particularly good compared to your typical Power 5 league. I would say they are much worse.

Does this program place ANY premium on regular season performance anymore? Can anyone say we do at this point? We are consistently finishing as low as we possibly can in the conference standings. Did 2011 and 2014 give us the false sense of comfort that the season only matters in March?

You win this game you don't have to sweat out an NCAA berth. A team with any sense of awareness and leadership doesn't lose this game at home with a road trip to SMU coming up. A well coached team doesn't allow it to happen either.

And for the "Every game should be at Gampel" brigade, I also believe this team plays better at XL Center than Gampel and it has been that way for a couple of years. We usually win our big games at XL. And teams shoot far better at Gampel against us.
Yes, I have noticed opposing teams lighting up Gampel. Well now it is win at SMU or the season is over.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Our expectations remain the same yet the consistent results just aren't there. Times are changing for the program and with every underperforming season like this one (that makes two in a row), the idea of returning to the dominant UConn teams of old becomes less and less imaginable...

Reaction Score
Our expectations remain the same yet the consistent results just aren't there. Times are changing for the program and with every underperforming season like this one (that makes two in a row), the idea of returning to the dominant UConn teams of old becomes less and less imaginable...
IT is making next year a make or break year for KO. I mean AB(not really sure I want him back) and DHAM with be back so we have the talent next year to at least make the NCAA's. If we don't I'm sure a change might have to come. I'm sure the administration will give KO a 4th year to try to make the tourney but I'm worried that could be too late to change our fate.

Reaction Score
Next year is the year to see where we really stand. It will still be inexcusable if we don't make the tournament this year, but next year I think we really get to see what the state of the program is truly like.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Not sure good recruiting equals good coaching.

Nobody wants to hear this after a loss, but the point I was trying to make is that young coaches are not static. People saying Ollie will never be able to recruit discounted the possibility that his ability to land players would improve over time.

Granted I don't know whether or not the pace of Ollie's on-the-job education meets the standards of a hungry base of superfans. I'm inclined to say no. But to say he will never be a better in-game coach than this is a bit shortsighted IMO.

Reaction Score
Nobody wants to hear this after a loss, but the point I was trying to make is that young coaches are not static. People saying Ollie will never be able to recruit discounted the possibility that his ability to land players would improve over time.

Granted I don't know whether or not the pace of Ollie's on-the-job education meets the standards of a hungry base of superfans. I'm inclined to say no. But to say he will never be a better in-game coach than this is a bit shortsighted IMO.
Problem, is a programs like ours might not have time to wait before we become irrelevant in the basketball landscape. KO has to make some noise next year if he doesn't make the tourney this year. Next year will be a must get in tournament year. I can't see how it can't be especially if DHAM and AB come back like we think they will.

Reaction Score
KO is coaching like when he had Bazz, Boat, Giff and Daniels. Problem is this team can't execute like them.

This team needs much more intervention. The style of green lighting players probably looks good to recruits but isn't working for this team.

KO needs talent to execute his pro style offense. Look guys are missing layups and open 3s.

Reaction Score
KO is coaching like when he had Bazz, Boat, Giff and Daniels. Problem is this team can't execute like them.

This has been apparent since last year. KO doesn't change his scheme to fit his players, which would be fine, if we had full recruiting classes. We haven't, so instead of changing the scheme for the time being, to fit what we do have, he just wants to force square pegs into round holes.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Next year is the year to see where we really stand. It will still be inexcusable if we don't make the tournament this year, but next year I think we really get to see what the state of the program is truly like.
I really thing 17/18 is the year to test it. Next year should be good, but I want to see what it's like with the first recruiting class not affected from the violations playing as sophomores at least.

Reaction Score
I really thing 17/18 is the year to test it. Next year should be good, but I want to see what it's like with the first recruiting class not affected from the violations playing as sophomores at least.

I'm not going to expect a final four or even sweet sixteen team next year, but I do think we should expect to be better than this and last year. If we finish middle of the AAC again and end up on the bubble, I will be really, really worried.

Reaction Score
I don't want to wait one year. We need staff changes this off season. I'd like a big coach and someone else who can design a half court offense.

Reaction Score
I don't want to wait one year. We need staff changes this off season. I'd like a big coach and someone else who can design a half court offense.

Yeah I don't want KO gone but we need to clean out some of the staff.

Reaction Score
Disagree! I think we need to make the tourney next year especially with DHAM and AB coming back. Now if they aren't coming back of course our expectations change. Though I can't see any scenario were they aren't coming aback as neither are going to the NBA next year.

Reaction Score
Some of you could do with a rule of thumb before posting in the future.

Is the sky literally falling on you? Like hellfire is raining down on your computer as we speak? If not, take a chill pill.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to expect a final four or even sweet sixteen team next year, but I do think we should expect to be better than this and last year. If we finish middle of the AAC again and end up on the bubble, I will be really, really worried.
You're expecting a final four run next year?! Expecting. Get out of here. Look, I was spoiled as hell coming here as a student and having the team win a national championship 2 years ago in my freshman year. Because of that I have high expectations year in and year out (why wouldn't I given our program's success over the last 20 years). However, expecting the final four is wild. We are losing our best player in Shonn Miller and also Gibbs, Omar, Phil and likely Purvis. In other words, we are losing our top 3 scorers and 61% (SIXTY-ONE) of our offense.

Yes, I am damn excited for the recruiting class coming in, but for the love of god do not expect a final four. That is ridiculous to just expect. Adams needs to make one hell of a leap and Alterique Gilbert has to be an ACTUAL true PG that is needed to run this offense more efficiently if we want to sniff a final four next year. Oh and Danny Hams needs to play like he is capable of playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom