Olivia Nelson-Ododa Cancels Skeptics As Sparks Play Last Episode | The Boneyard

Olivia Nelson-Ododa Cancels Skeptics As Sparks Play Last Episode

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not sure what to make of this article. Of course we want to find and highlight any positive signs Liv is making but this quote

"Nelson-Ododa, meanwhile, is rapidly establishing her name as a 2020s’ Sparks great."

does her no favors.

Got to keep it real. First, and foremost, she racks up way too many penalties early in games and you cant beat anyone sitting on the bench. Get that under control and then we can see what her skills are and if they are developing

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Right now I would put her in that 'really useful' back-up center in the mold of Jessica Moore who incidentally started her career in LA. Moore had a nine year career starting 61 of 222 career games. She gave her teams some defense, some rebounding, a little scoring, and generally good smarts and a good teammate. Nothing to sneeze about, but also nothing to get overly excited about.

A lot of people were surprised that Ono stuck on a team at the start of this year, and I could see her outlasting a lot of the 2022 draft class by being useful - teams need those players and Uconn produces a lot of them - great teammates that know how to contribute without needing to be a star.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I just finished watching the replays of both games this week in LA between the Sun and the Sparks, both of which the Sun won easily. The Sparks are now officially eliminated from WNBA playoff contention for this year. However, I was VERY impressed with Liv's performance in both games, especially Thursday night's game, where she played 27 minutes, scored 8 points on 3-for-5 shooting (and 2-for-2 from the free throw line), and had one monster block on Alyssa Thomas. One of the first LA scores of the game was a fast break started by Nneka and finished by Liv, going nearly the length of the court without the ball touching the floor.

It is fortuitous how Liv secured her position on the Sparks' roster at least for this year. She came to training camp as (at best) the third center behind Liz Cambage and Amanda Zahui B. Their former coach decided to suspend Zahui B for the season after it became clear that she could miss more than 10 games due to European commitments. So Liv became the backup to Cambage, and we know what happened to her. Since then, Liv has effectively become the team's starting center, and the only real interior size on the team. And she has answered the bell.

Watching her play in these two games, I could swear that I saw moves that she never had at UConn. Maybe it's my imagination, or maybe she really has developed her game further. In the two games, I only saw her take one jump shot, which she missed -- but she was getting to the rim quite effectively.

Of course, she is no superstar and probably will never be one; she had her hands full trying to defend Jonquel Jones in both games. But she looks like a competent WNBA center, which even most Boneyarders appeared to think was beyond her realistic ceiling as recently as April 2022.

Reaction Score
For years, I've been Liv's biggest fan on the BY .. and am not surprised by her recent success in the WNBA .. besides being a defensive stalwart and shot-blocker nonpareil, she was also, IMO, the UConn's best passer .. without being double and/or triple-teamed [like she was in college] Liv will greatly improve on offense in the WNBA and be an eventual All-Star, eh?

Reaction Score
I am so happy for Liv. She is making the most of her opportunity out there. Sure, she is going to make some mistakes here and there. As long as she doesn't lose her confidence, she is going to be okay out there.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Watching her play in these two games, I could swear that I saw moves that she never had at UConn. Maybe it's my imagination, or maybe she really has developed her game further. In the two games, I only saw her take one jump shot, which she missed -- but she was getting to the rim quite effectively.
Bingo.

I too was a sceptic regarding Liv's ability to play up a level, and the hardest up a level there is. Whoever helped her, or turned on the switch, she/he should be commended.

Reaction Score
Liv is a talented defender and shot blocker. She is also lean and runs the floor well, and has good stamina. What she lacks is a shooter's touch away from the rim. But she has developed some new post moves, especially reverse moves, and has managed to avoid all the "chicken wing" fouls. She can build a substantial career out of all this.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've watched L.A. a little and seen Liv make some mistakes as well as some good plays. She still could benefit from getting stronger and needs more experience, but she's smart, plays hard, and is long. Keep working at it, Liv!

Reaction Score
I just finished watching the replays of both games this week in LA between the Sun and the Sparks, both of which the Sun won easily. The Sparks are now officially eliminated from WNBA playoff contention for this year. However, I was VERY impressed with Liv's performance in both games, especially Thursday night's game, where she played 27 minutes, scored 8 points on 3-for-5 shooting (and 2-for-2 from the free throw line), and had one monster block on Alyssa Thomas. One of the first LA scores of the game was a fast break started by Nneka and finished by Liv, going nearly the length of the court without the ball touching the floor.

It is fortuitous how Liv secured her position on the Sparks' roster at least for this year. She came to training camp as (at best) the third center behind Liz Cambage and Amanda Zahui B. Their former coach decided to suspend Zahui B for the season after it became clear that she could miss more than 10 games due to European commitments. So Liv became the backup to Cambage, and we know what happened to her. Since then, Liv has effectively become the team's starting center, and the only real interior size on the team. And she has answered the bell.

Of course, she is no superstar and probably will never be one; she had her hands full trying to defend Jonquel Jones in both games. But she looks like a competent WNBA center, which even most Boneyarders appeared to think was beyond her realistic ceiling as recently as April 2022.
Her team-mates are enthusiastic about her future. She is a lanky 6'5" rookie, for goodness sakes, playing very well against women who have spent years working out in the weight room and polishing their skills on the court. I have watched all of her Sparks games and she does just keep getting better and better. She has a quick 1st step that gets her past defenders, as she did against Jonquel Jones, and great dexterity under the basket. Her coach pulls her after early fouls and then has to re-insert her into the game to shore up the defense because she is the best rim protector on the team. She does more than block shots, she alters a lot of shots that end up clanging off the rim because she flies at people. She also is quick on help defense and does block a player's path to the rim. So, you see the opponent driving to the lane, pulling up short and looking for somewhere to go with the ball. ONO is there, in the way.

LA knows they got a gem in the draft. My expectation: she will be a productive center for LA for many years to come. Fans like her, team mates like her, tv añouncers like her because what's more fun to watch than a 6'5" player streak down the court or leap high in the air for a shocking block? Go Liv.

Reaction Score
Not sure what to make of this article. Of course we want to find and highlight any positive signs Liv is making but this quote

"Nelson-Ododa, meanwhile, is rapidly establishing her name as a 2020s’ Sparks great."

does her no favors.

Got to keep it real. First, and foremost, she racks up way too many penalties early in games and you cant beat anyone sitting on the bench. Get that under control and then we can see what her skills are and if they are developing

Her stats show under 4 ppg and just under 3 rpg in an average of over 14 mpg. A "Sparks great"? No.

Reaction Score
Right now I would put her in that 'really useful' back-up center in the mold of Jessica Moore who incidentally started her career in LA. Moore had a nine year career starting 61 of 222 career games. She gave her teams some defense, some rebounding, a little scoring, and generally good smarts and a good teammate. Nothing to sneeze about, but also nothing to get overly excited about.

A lot of people were surprised that Ono stuck on a team at the start of this year, and I could see her outlasting a lot of the 2022 draft class by being useful - teams need those players and Uconn produces a lot of them - great teammates that know how to contribute without needing to be a star.

People were surprised on the team she stuck with. Lots of bigs. People thought Cox would stick and she wouldn’t.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom