Oliver Luck Fires A Few More Shots At The Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oliver Luck Fires A Few More Shots At The Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you get rid of AQ, then why would Boise, BYU or Houston come? They would qualify for a BCS bowl based on rank, correct? So why move into a conference that has no connection to them except for football? They are successful and highly ranked right now with their current conference/independence. Also, the knock on Boise/Houston, etc. of the non-AQ leagues is that they would never have their records if they played a BCS league schedule. So is it fair to assume that if they join the BE they continue their huge winning seasons? Or is the base assumption that they will dominate the BE?

There has to be a reason that no formal announcement of invitations or acceptance of invitation have been made. This can not be a slam dunk decision for any of the western teams despite what people on this board see as a no brainer decsion.

Houston is getting an all sports invite so it is a slam dunk for them, SMU, and UCF. Boise St. and BYU should be able to figure out a way to get what they want from the arrangement so I also think chances of them coming are very high as well. Even without the AQ it would make sense to be associated with the Big East as opposed to either the MW or CUSA.

Reaction Score
While I hope we display more class than Oliver Luck, once we move to the Big 10 (or ACC) there will be a different tune sung about this new Big East by all the posters now defending and promoting its stature.

Reaction Score
While I hope we display more class than Oliver Luck, once we move to the Big 10 (or ACC) there will be a different tune sung about this new Big East by all the posters now defending and promoting its stature.

How so? Almost everyone here is in agreement that a move to the Big 10, Big 12, or ACC would be benificial to UConn. That doesn't mean that you can't also see the potential in the new proposed Big East. Also, without UConn it is much weaker so it would not be the same league if we leave, either by ourselves or with any current or proposed new members.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How so? Almost everyone here is in agreement that a move to the Big 10, Big 12, or ACC would be benificial to UConn. That doesn't mean that you can't also see the potential in the new proposed Big East. Also, without UConn it is much weaker so it would not be the same league if we leave, either by ourselves or with any current or proposed new members.

I believe that there is a place for the best teams not in a AQ conference to come together and form a new all-sports league. Essentially the best from the BE, ConfUSA, WAC and MWC, if combined, create a solid, if rather dispersed conference. I believe that the hold up in the "new Big East" is in part because Boise and BYU realize that this new conference will likely lose UConn and Louisville, and possibly Rutgers. The BE basketball schools will drop, and this new all sports conference will claim the AQ status (if such a thing continues to exist). Geographically, if Rutgers also drops, it will have no real northeastern presence at all.

I think the comments about AQ status from Neinas and may have the intended effect and may give pause. Or BYU and Boise may want to call the bluff.

Reaction Score
I believe that there is a place for the best teams not in a AQ conference to come together and form a new all-sports league. Essentially the best from the BE, ConfUSA, WAC and MWC, if combined, create a solid, if rather dispersed conference. I believe that the hold up in the "new Big East" is in part because Boise and BYU realize that this new conference will likely lose UConn and Louisville, and possibly Rutgers. The BE basketball schools will drop, and this new all sports conference will claim the AQ status (if such a thing continues to exist). Geographically, if Rutgers also drops, it will have no real northeastern presence at all.

I think the comments about AQ status from Neinas and may have the intended effect and may give pause. Or BYU and Boise may want to call the bluff.

They should call the bluff. The easiest way for the best of the rest to survive is in the Big East. It has AQ status and won't lose it if everyone with any clout that isn't already in one of the other BCS conferences is in the Big East. Doing anything other than making a two division Big East requires more effort and more uncertainty. These people need to wake up and join the NBE. When/if another opportunity knocks, leave. In the meantime they may just like the NBE.

Reaction Score
All this news about new BCS parameters just started a month or so ago.

That should tell us something.

This. The goal of the remaining five is to ensure that there isn't a sixth.

Reaction Score
It is accurate, but certain things do not need to be said by certain people. He could say he's very happy to be going to the big12. He could show some respect. But instead, he brings his lawsuit and runs his trap. All this crap about the Big East. Yes, you kill your parents, then cry that you're on orphan. The Big East would have been just fine, and got a good television contract, et cetera, if Syr, Pitt, WVA, had just stayed and expanded. And we will anyway.
exactly.

Reaction Score
It will be miserable because it has no structure for identity geographically or otherwise. Most folks in the east could care less about BYU or Boise and could not locate either on a map.
Most folks in the east could care less about college football, never mind BYU or Boise. Most folks in the east don't care about Syracuse, Uconn or Pitt football either. A very select few do. It is not a religion around here. But in reality, BYU and Boise are much better opponents, and better programs, than any close to the east with the exception of Penn State, Ohio State, and Virginia Tech. That's about the closest real football to the "east." And they are not that close to Connecticut.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The NBE will be the end of UConn basketball. If we don't get out it's over.

Reaction Score
The NBE will be the end of UConn basketball. If we don't get out it's over.

That is honestly absurd. How will remaining in a league with Georgetown, Villanova, Louisville, Notre Dame, Cinci, Marquette, and St. John's be the end of UConn basketball? I think basketball is what we should be the least concerned with. It will be fine in the NNBE.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That is honestly absurd. How will remaining in a league with Georgetown, Villanova, Louisville, Notre Dame, Cinci, Marquette, and St. John's be the end of UConn basketball? I think basketball is what we should be the least concerned with. It will be fine in the NNBE.

I think there is zero chance that UConn remains in a league with those teams unless we go independent for football. The BB teams will split off by the time Syracuse and Pitt head to the ACC.

Reaction Score
I think there is zero chance that UConn remains in a league with those teams unless we go independent for football. The BB teams will split off by the time Syracuse and Pitt head to the ACC.

I have no idea what would make you think that but we are all free to form our own theories. I think the chance of a split is zero.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It means a stronger OOC schedule not the death of UConn basketball. A home and away with SU will be expected. Maybe Pitt. Add those two games to the OOC instead of 2 cupcakes and attend a better tourney each year. The 3 made-for-tv marquee match games in the BE might be a little tougher each year.

Reaction Score
It means a stronger OOC schedule not the death of UConn basketball. A home and away with SU will be expected. Maybe Pitt. Add those two games to the OOC instead of 2 cupcakes and attend a better tourney each year. The 3 made-for-tv marquee match games in the BE might be a little tougher each year.

Cuse, OK. I wouldn't mind never playing Pitt or WVU in anything ever again though.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I have no idea what would make you think that but we are all free to form our own theories. I think the chance of a split is zero.

Really? Long term? You think PC, St. Johns, Nova, G-Town, DePaul and Marquette are going to stay in a conference long term with USF, UCF, SMU, Houston and Cincy? What exactly do they have in common?

At this point, I'd give it 50-50 that the NBE ever comes together at all, and 95% that UConn and Louisville are gone before it starts in 2013.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

We'll be fine if you like A-10 basketball. Because that's what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom