OLine | The Boneyard

OLine

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I know Hurd graduated, but what's up with this years OLine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
They aren't good at run or pass blocking, but other than that, I think they're fine.

Reaction Score
It's not all on the line - the QB is supposed to be able to read a defense and when he see's blitz coming he's supposed to change the play call. McEntee doesn't know how to read a defense, so doesn't change the play which leads to the line looking bad. If he could read a defense, and change the call at the line they would be able to change the routes for the receivers which could lead to a short pass to a receiver or a dump off to the RB. If he coud read a defense and change the play at the line the offense (and the line) could adjust to the blitz (maybe keeping the back in backfield as a blocker) and provide the QB with more time. McEntee obviously can't do that - while Frazer couldn't throw the ball at all at least he could kinda read a defense.

Reaction Score
It's not all on the line - the QB is supposed to be able to read a defense and when he see's blitz coming he's supposed to change the play call. McEntee doesn't know how to read a defense, so doesn't change the play which leads to the line looking bad. If he could read a defense, and change the call at the line they would be able to change the routes for the receivers which could lead to a short pass to a receiver or a dump off to the RB. If he coud read a defense and change the play at the line the offense (and the line) could adjust to the blitz (maybe keeping the back in backfield as a blocker) and provide the QB with more time. McEntee obviously can't do that - while Frazer couldn't throw the ball at all at least he could kinda read a defense.
They don't have Anthony Sherman to pick up the blitz.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Part of it is players we lost, Hurd and Sherman blocking and experience at RB & QB to read what was going on. None of our RB's are close to what we've had in the past at reading the hole and cutting into it quickly.

I believe that DeLeone trying new things with the manner in which we block hasn't helped either. Unfortunately I believe that over the long haul this will cost us one of our better assistants (Foley) as DeLeone is in a far more powerful position within this regime.

Reaction Score
Part of it is players we lost, Hurd and Sherman blocking and experience at RB & QB to read what was going on. None of our RB's are close to what we've had in the past at reading the hole and cutting into it quickly.

I believe that DeLeone trying new things with the manner in which we block hasn't helped either. Unfortunately I believe that over the long haul this will cost us one of our better assistants (Foley) as DeLeone is in a far more powerful position within this regime.

That would set back this program years. DeLeone scares me.

Reaction Score
McCombs is really picking the wrong holes. On a couple occasions, I saw a lineman pull and seal off a tackle in the middle opening a lane for McCombs, only to see McCombs bump his run to where the pulling tackle used to be.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
From my comfy chair, it sure seems like it takes McCoombs a long time to hit the hole. Might be trying for the home run too much.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
It's also the wr's responsibility to read the blitz and cut their routes short.

Mac moved well in the pocket in the first half and the OL was fine.

Second half the WVU pressure was just too much. I know
McCombs is a frosh but he better learn to block real soon.

Reaction Score
Look, if you're going to make specific comments, try to keep it to what you're actually seeeing. The backfield today was doing a hell of a job at picking up pass protections. We were getting beat on the edge around the tackles, by a guy that will be playing on Sundays soon, and we're still growing with a new offensive system.

The problem we started having in the second half was that we were behind and needed to throw the ball, and Johnny Mac is still learning, and when a defense can tee off on the pass rush, and the QB starts looking at the rush rather than looking downfield, bad things happen.

We're on a major learning curve this year on offense, and it's in plain view for everybody to see.

THis was the first game that I've actually seen McEntee looking at the pass rush rather than downfield, and he'll learn from it.

Reaction Score
I will post more on this in my game analysis thread tomorrow (hopefully. I have to watch the parts of the 2nd half that were blacked out).

First, its not as bad as it seems in regard to the O Line, as always, when a qb gets sacked, or a rb only gains 2 yards, it is always the lines fault. This is what I saw during the game: Mike Ryan is back. He looks so much more comfortable at left tackle. Very good game. Mo is Mo. Solid, smart game. Kevin Friend had a disastrous game at RT. He was getting blown off the ball in the run and pass, and when asked to Block Irvin one on one he couldn't even get a hand on him (and I blame the coaches for Irvin's day. They used him as an elephant end, split way outside the tackle. They should have had a back or H Back in to chip block him to help the tackle. No adjustment at all by the staff). Greene played better than Masters, but he was wildly inconsistent. Not good when both guards are questions. Not sure what the solution is there. Maybe move Masters back to tackle, and insert Bardzak at one of the guards? Who knows.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Two solid lineman is not enough. The right side of the line was bad the entire second half and zero adjustments from the coaching staff to stop the pass rush.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
yes in the first half, but if you can honestly say they were after the fumble by McEntee than we were watching different games.

The line was OK today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul