OLine Was Good | The Boneyard

OLine Was Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I noticed this too and thought about posting this but Army had a 5'10", 260lb nose guard. They were very undersized, so I kept my thoughts in the middle. I was really impressed with Try Trey Rutherford.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Offense wasn't the problem. When they had the ball, not often, they did OK. Met expectations. The lack of time on the clock and the 2 TD deficit affected the ability to run the ball more than we did.

Still, I'd have liked to see three runs from 2nd and goal at the end.

Reaction Score
We are starting to have average to good offensive line play when it comes to pass protection but we arent yet getting holes t run the ball. Some of this is the line some of this is on teams not respecting our pass.

Reaction Score
The O-Line's improvement has been very good. They were downright awful, worst that that week 1 and 2. And looking at the last couple of weeks their pass blocking has been much better and although they need work opening holes for the running game they were still better.

If Whitmer stayed in the pocket more it would have been even more noticeable. They were good!

Reaction Score
As poorly as the defense performed, to me, it never felt like UConn was out of the game even with the 2 TD deficit. The way Whitmer torched the defense on that last drive I thought we were going to tie it and go to OT. Granted the INT happened and I died a little inside, but overall it never felt as bad as the stats show and that has everything to do with the O-line.

Reaction Score
We didn't lose this game on offense, save the stupid penalties on the first drive. We lost because our defensive scheme left it to two linebackers to make every play on defense.

Reaction Score
Our defensive scheme lost the game and while I feel O Line has improved greatly and believe will only get better under Foley, Cummings and Balis strength and conditioning program as time goes on.

However, I would say our offense and line was just OK against Army. Army was giving up almost 35 points a game and our 21 was least amount of points they gave up in a game this year, and our running, passing and total yards gained were all under what they normally give up a game. Our pass blocking was decent but they play more coverage and about half of our rushing yards were either Whitmer scrambles or on Max's big run they were playing pass all along and was a good play call and had open grass ahead of him when he was handed the ball. With two senior and one junior interior linemen and two big tackles, with adding a tight end and fullback blocking we should been the ones gaining huge chunks of yardage on first down runs, not Army.

Again, we have improved all around on offense and made great improvements against ECU and UCF and not trying to be negative but based on opponent, we were just OK offensively on Saturday. With a bye week I do expect to see the growth continuing.

Reaction Score
On numerous plays that would have extended drives, Whitmer got outside the pocket had guys open and threw inaccurately.

The offense was not god enough to win with Whitmer at QB. Would it have been better with Foxx? It sure looked that way. Would it have been better with Boyle? It looked at least as good.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Our OLine continues to improve, and our offense's ability to put points on the board continues to improve with the OLine's improvement...

Reaction Score
We didn't lose this game on offense, save the stupid penalties on the first drive. We lost because our defensive scheme left it to two linebackers to make every play on defense.

Offense wasn't the problem. When they had the ball, not often, they did OK. Met expectations. The lack of time on the clock and the 2 TD deficit affected the ability to run the ball more than we did.

Guys - this is wrong. The D was suspect and unconventional but it was not flawed. It held Army to at least a full possession/score under their average. Had our defensive edge players, actually played faster instead of guessing so much, the D would have been even better.

Offense is definitely where we lost this game. Holy cow. Completely inept game planning, and play calling and lack of discipline, composure - which to me - goes to division of reps in practice.

We were at the Army 30 yard line on the first drive of the game, when consecutive OL penalties - holding and false start pushed as back past mid field. 2nd drive, we move it out to mid field with a nice balance of run and possession control passing that Army sucks at defending - and then we go long with passes, hit 4th down. Punt. Army gifts us a first down on running into the kicker, and the next play - FIRST DOWN - another dumb long pass play that Army can defend that goes for an INT. Equivalent of a punt, with almost no time off the clock, but a lost possession that was gifted. If you're going to beat the army offense, you need to keep your own offense on the field as much as you can. Stupid.

Next offensive possesion. Enter the Tim Boyle experiment - who gives a crap about establishing offensive consistency anymore this season. Any thought to the clock and keeping it running and keeping the army offense off the field and scoring points? It is only 14-0 at this point 2nd Q. ?

Here's what happens. Boyle throws not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, but 5 consecutive passes, no runs, that gets us to a 4th and 1 with less than 3 minutes off the clock, at our own 45, which guess what? Coach Bobby decides to go for it, since at this point, the Army offense has had the ball for something like 18 of the 22 minutes played so far before this possession. We false start. I feel awful for Levy - because all he wants to do is succeed.

Here's a question that no nimrod has thought of to ask yet - how many times has Tim Boyle's cadence been the voice the OL has listened to when practicing - especially for something like a 4th and goal? But it's good idea to rotate so many QB's in games and practices for some point in the future...

Not for that 4th and 1, IMNSHO. I freely admit, I have a hard time seeing too much farther beyond what's in front of my face. At this point is 14-0 on the scoreboard.

So moving on, punt. I will stop here for my own sanity.

At some point, the offensive coaches on this roster, or Mr. Manuel needs to have an intervention with Defensive Coordinator Bob Diaco, and introduce him to Head Coach Bob Diaco in the basic strategic meetings when it comes to preparing for an opponent.

Reaction Score
For the record, I agree 100% with chin's original post.

Why on offense, we did not continually beat the out of that defensive front in the run game all game long, I don't know, and cannot come up with a way to understand based on what I can observe, beyond what I've written. Entire game plan offensively and defensively, came from a defensive coordinator mind, not head coach mind.

I want Coach Bobby to learn from this game. Never, is everything you are all about exposed as much as it is when you play the academies in football. EVERYTHING.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I should have thrown in the helluva caveat that the line was good except for the penalties that killed drives.

My original intent was that for the first time in almost three years the offensive line held its own physically for run plays and against the pass.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Here's a question that no nimrod has thought of to ask yet - how many times has Tim Boyle's cadence been the voice the OL has listened to when practicing - especially for something like a 4th and goal? But it's good idea to rotate so many QB's in games and practices for some point in the future...

Didn't occur to this nimrod but that is a really astute observation.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score

Can't you say that the two TD deficit was at least 50% due to the offense? Our first drive, we were initially moving the ball and then went from 1 & 10 at Army's 44 yard line to 4th & 21 at our 45 yard line due to a holding penalty and a false start.

Our second drive we only got one first down and then had a two yard run, a five yard pass completion and then a pass incomplete. Maybe not the line's fault on that but I think against Army's defense, our offense should have been scoring on almost every possession (this is what Yale did).

By the way, our third drive was Boyle's where we got one first down and then ended up with the False Start on Levy on the 4th and short which led to the punt.

We cannot afford three straight possessions with no points against Army's defense.

Reaction Score
I should have thrown in the helluva caveat that the line was good except for the penalties that killed drives.

My original intent was that for the first time in almost three years the offensive line held its own physically for run plays and against the pass.

They had a physical mismatch at the line of scrimmage Chin. They don't have single DL that goes over 265-270lb.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They had a physical mismatch at the line of scrimmage Chin. They don't have single DL that goes over 265-270lb.

UConn also had physical mismatches against Tows on and Stony Brook and couldn't do what they did against Army.

It's a silver frickin' lining damnit.

Reaction Score
UConn also had physical mismatches against Tows on and Stony Brook and couldn't do what they did against Army.

It's a silver frickin' lining damnit.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean that you think the OL has improved, and was able to block effectively when they were given the chance, and actually managed to get off the snap without procedure problems, when in the past, they had physical mismatches and still failed - then I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom