OLED TV | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OLED TV

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Can you even get a new plasma TV from any producers at this point? I thought they had been pretty much phased out. I have a 10 year old Panasonic Plasma that is still an absolute tank. TV development was progressing so rapidly for quite a while but has pretty much slowed to a crawl because of how good they got. I just can’t justify spending the premium to upgrade because the difference is so minimal.
Plasma TVs ceased production in 2014 because of their energy consumption. I believe they were banned in favor of greener LCD models. I would say 2014 to 2019 was a dark time for tvs. Sure we have dazzling OLEDs and LCD models, but in my opinion they suck at sports while wowing at nature shows.

Reaction Score
It kind of depends on what size TV you're looking for. At 55" or less, OLEDs are affordable. As they get larger, they go up in price a lot compared to LED. Also, what's your price range?
Was thinking 50-55...someone mentioned the bright room issue...which is where we have it...maybe just a Qled is better?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I had just bought a brand new top of the line Panasonic plasma when we moved from CT to CO. Apparently plasma TVs don't fare well above 6,000' of elevation or so. We live at 6,900'. It fried itself within the first month.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I went the other way and got a TCL for $350. How much better can it be for over a grand more? I spent a few bucks on my first flat screen, Samsung top rated by CR. Crapped out in 3 years. All my cheaper ones are still going.

Reaction Score
Can you even get a new plasma TV from any producers at this point? I thought they had been pretty much phased out. I have a 10 year old Panasonic Plasma that is still an absolute tank. TV development was progressing so rapidly for quite a while but has pretty much slowed to a crawl because of how good they got. I just can’t justify spending the premium to upgrade because the difference is so minimal.
They don't make it anymore. I've seen some new in the box plasmas around. (ebay, craigslist, etc). I was looking more towards a cheaper used solution.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
thinking about a new TV for March Madness....Any more recent thoughts on OLED v LCD? Is is worth the 3-4x price point?

Is it in a dark room? Will you use it for heavy movie watching? If he answers are no and no, then the answer is no. Go LED. OLED will give you great blacks, but for watching football in a bright room that isn't much help. That said, not all LED is the same. Suggest reading this, which can help steer you to the right technology for your application. Edge-Lit vs Back-Lit LED TVs: What Is the Difference? (the-home-cinema-guide.com) For my movie room, I went with full backlit LED with local dimming, which is as close as you will get to OLED.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Ha funny to see this get bumped. My old 720P NEC plasma still going but it’s lived a good long life... time to go 4K OLED, and I’m still looking at LG.

Since then inherited my in laws 65” 1080P Panasonic plasma and that’s our secondary ... mostly because of what a pain it would be to get the NEC down and this one up lol. Will be much easier to mount the LG OLED.

Bottom line though... if your TV is pushing 10 years or more... just about anything you buy today will look terrific regardless of LED, QLED, Micro LED, OLED.

Reaction Score
I've got a 2020 TCL 6-series (R635) and it's fantastic, especially for the price point (I paid $650 in November).
that's a great price...it's more than that now. I saw some reviews that said there was an issue with desynched audio when using a sound bar..any truth to that?

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
that's a great price...it's more than that now. I saw some reviews that said there was an issue with desynched audio when using a sound bar..any truth to that?
There is something going on with mine. I have to turn on the TV by walking over to it and pressing the button. It's inhumane!

Reaction Score
QVC Price: $1599.96
Free S & H

Sounds like a decent price for a 55"
View attachment 36642

That's the standard price, but if it's on QVC they have the technology to make it look like an 82-inch TV. My wife's engagement ring looked like the Hope Diamond, until it arrived. Luckily she likes small things. Buy it locally; never from QVC.

OLED is the best, but very expensive. You can get a 75inch QLED (the next best) for about $1500.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I haven't had any issues with mine.

Reaction Score
I was deciding between LG OLED and samsung qled earlier this year and decided to not go with the OLED due to the risk of burn in due to content with static overlays. Its a long term risk that may or may not impact you depending on what you watch. For the content I prefer, I wanted to not deal with that risk at all and went with the qled, no regrets.

Reaction Score
I have the 65”. When the cable repair guy was at our house he tested the connection on it and literally jumped back when he saw the picture. He could not believe the detail in the picture.

Reaction Score
Have an LG CX Oled, 100% worth the money. I recently had to watch a Samsung 8 series for a week, and wow, the oled makes the Samsung look like a (Syracuse) clementine when I’m used to watching huskies. Almost unwatchable

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I have the 65”. When the cable repair guy was at our house he tested the connection on it and literally jumped back when he saw the picture. He could not believe the detail in the picture.
Which TV do you have in 65"?

Reaction Score
It kind of depends on what size TV you're looking for. At 55" or less, OLEDs are affordable. As they get larger, they go up in price a lot compared to LED. Also, what's your price range?
Price is irrelevant when you're watching UConn win NC's.
Our 55 inch Panasonic Viera Plasma has such black blacks that BLM asked me to do a commercial endorsing it.

Reaction Score
That's the standard price, but if it's on QVC they have the technology to make it look like an 82-inch TV. My wife's engagement ring looked like the Hope Diamond, until it arrived. Luckily she likes small things. Buy it locally; never from QVC.

OLED is the best, but very expensive. You can get a 75inch QLED (the next best) for about $1500.
This is a family oriented site. Please leave your anatomy out of these posts.............:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom