Old Big East's new TV deal worth $3 million per year | The Boneyard

Old Big East's new TV deal worth $3 million per year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
7 years means $21 mil or is there an escape/renegotiation clause?

That's a bargain when you consider their anticipated advertising revenue.

Reaction Score
This deal is strictly about better coverage. I'll take it for a year

Reaction Score
7 years means $21 mil or is there an escape/renegotiation clause?

That's a bargain when you consider their anticipated advertising revenue.

It's for 12 games. $250k per game.

Reaction Score
This is marketing tool.. helps with recruits i guess

Reaction Score
It's for up to 12 appearances, of which 6 would be out of conference games (1 appearance by america/metro 12 team), and 3 conference games (two appearances by 2 american/metro 12 teams). It isn't for 12 games.

It's for 12 games. $250k per game.

Reaction Score
Annual uconn/Memphis game i am sure will be on the tv

Reaction Score
It's for up to 12 appearances, of which 6 would be out of conference games (1 appearance by america/metro 12 team), and 3 conference games (two appearances by 2 american/metro 12 teams). It isn't for 12 games.

How does this work? I was always under the impression that only the home team's conference gets paid during an OOC game. So, really, if that's true, it's almost irrelevant how many conference teams play one game. It's the same money either way.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
How does this work? I was always under the impression that only the home team's conference gets paid during an OOC game. So, really, if that's true, it's almost irrelevant how many conference teams play one game. It's the same money either way.

So our conference deal says that teams get $250,000 per appearance right? And the league can keep $750,000 (the 3 OOC shares) to split among all the members?

I know it doesn't say this, but the fact that UConn couldn't get some preferential treatment, considering all CBS is buying is UConn/Memphis and their OOC games, is absurd. Everyday makes me more made at this conference and the subsidies we are throwing ECU. Seriously, they are going to get the same bball share as UConn? That is preposterous.

Reaction Score
"The contract includes up to 12 appearances per season. Half of the appearances each season will be conference games. CBS Sports retains the right to have the first selections among conference, non-conference and neutral site games. "

CBS doesn't have to elect to cover any games. The renamed Big East gets $3m per year no matter what.

If CBS selects, eg., UConn-Washington, than that counts towards the 1 appearance portion of the contract, and the max 3 OOC games. However, you forget that CBS has deals with other conferences, so if eg, UConn plays an SEC team at home (which would be covered under the SEC /CBS contract too) CBS killed two birds with respect to filling its quota, one appearance for the SEC k and one for the new named BE k. UConn will need, like always, to get scheduling permission from its overlord. That's just how it works.

So our conference deal says that teams get $250,000 per appearance right? And the league can keep $750,000 (the 3 OOC shares) to split among all the members?

know it doesn't say this, but the fact that UConn couldn't get some preferential treatment, considering all CBS is buying is UConn/Memphis and their OOC games, is absurd. Everyday makes me more made at this conference and the subsidies we are throwing ECU. Seriously, they are going to get the same bball share as UConn? That is preposterous.

CBS bought for all intents and purposes the Amer/Metro12 first tier rights for four teams: UConn, Temple, Memphis and Cincy, with UConn probably accounting for 40% of the value of this quartet. And yes, ECU and Tulsa will share in it because for whatever reason UConn did not play hardball/leverage/ whatever you want to call it a Navy type deal. Did Herbst try? Was she rebuffed? I'm sure the UConn horde, who have been all over these issues for the past 2 years, will have a top notch piece on it any day.

Reaction Score

I know it doesn't say this, but the fact that UConn couldn't get some preferential treatment, considering all CBS is buying is UConn/Memphis and their OOC games, is absurd. Everyday makes me more made at this conference and the subsidies we are throwing ECU. Seriously, they are going to get the same bball share as UConn? That is preposterous.

No, it only gets $250k for the whole game, right? If 12 games, dividing $3 million, that's $250k per game. Doesn't matter who plays or from which conference.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

Here's the real problem. If the contract was written like a Boise contract then 50% would go to the conference pool for even split between teams ($1.5 mil) and 50% to the teams appearing in a televised game as a bonus ($1.5 mil). In other words a base pay of $125,000 per team (assuming 12 teams) plus $125,000 for appearances (assuming 12 games and each team getting $62,500 per televised game) .

Assume 4 appearances and UConn would get $375,000 instead of $250,000 in an even split arrangement of the $3 million per year.

I'll let you decide if that little amount of money ($125,000) is worth the bad will over the course of time. Better to fight over the exit fees, NCAA distributions, and phase out of legacy contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom