Olander | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Olander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is the issue that concerns me the most. With a guard-oriented team and a former point guard as head coach, I thought we'd be a lot more imaginative on offense. Instead it's the same cr*p we've been seeing for 4 years.

Problem is when you can help off all the bigs with no worries, it's hard to get your guards open. I didn't see the Q game, but we were running a lot of halfcourt stuff tonight, but we don't have many options. Other than a designed lob, most plays are set up so you can do different things based on what he defense does. But Option C needs to be a viable scoring threat.

What would have been effective against NM was slip screens with our bigs - flashing to the hoop after our guards came off them acting as decoys. The Lobos were heavily overplaying our guards off the ball to make sure they had no space on the catch, and the lane was open to flash to the hoop. But the couple times we tried something like that, our bigs weren't good enough to do anything with it (which is why they weren't worried about it). If that could have worked, then the defense would have to be honest and the guards would have a better chance of getting open, since the defense would have to worry about the screener as an offensive threat too.

Last year, we once in a while could throw a lob to Drummond to give the defense something else to think about.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
There was an instance Gurleyman when Wolf set a pick and slipped to the basket. He would have had an uncontested dunk but Boat never even looked his way. The same thing happened in the MSU game

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There was an instance Gurleyman when Wolf set a pick and slipped to the basket. He would have had an uncontested dunk but Boat never even looked his way. The same thing happened in the MSU game
I like that Boat is running point and SN is the off guard. Boat is still a freshman. He missed the first thirteen games last season. And last season he was often the off guard while SN was the pg. So there is a bit of a learning curve.

Reaction Score

That's something hopefully we can add from time to time with the help of a little film study with Boat.

Tricky part for our guards is that there's a limited window to get the ball to Wolf where he can make something good happen. If he gets the ball on the move 10 feet from the basket with help defense running at him, it's a turnover. Get him with an open lane for a dunk or in a position where he can catch and go straight into a power move, it can work. Wolf did miss one tough contested hook/layup on a play like that right when the CBS feed came back, but it's the sort of shot we might need to keep giving him to diversify our offense a little. If NM can effectively crowd our guards, most BE teams will be up in our shirts too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I said this the other night. Jeff Adrien would be the perfect medicine for this team. Intense big man with muscle instead of a stick figure like Wolf or DD.

jeff adrien would help this team? ya think??

H

huskymagic

can't score the basketball at all, and his reputation as a shooter is strictly practice lore at this point. Wide open, contested, doesn't matter, he never knocks them down. That pass up of a wide open baseline jumper to that whirling nonsense showed just how little confidence he has in himself to hit that shot.

I already told you guys last year that Wolf is our best big men going into this year. However, this is not Olander's fault, he is a limited player who wouldn't start on any big conference program. The problem is Ollie's and Jim Calhoun's love affair with Olander and dismissal of Wolf even though he clearly is bigger, better, and more athletic. Also, another problem is Boatright and Napier not defending at all, and there lack of size in the backcourt which other teams are taking advantage of. They need to defend way better, and crash the boards which they are ot doing. They are playing ugly and jacking up shots trying to increase their NBA stocks at the expense of the team. We are not Villanova or Marquette we need to play bigger with Wolf as our starting Center. This small backcourt of Napier and Boat will be a defensive liability in the backcourt and our bigs with the exception of Wolf can't rebound.

P.S. Ollie is not the coach for this team moving forward. He doesnt have the strong enough personality to be a coach for UCONN, and this team has no system or fluidity right now. Our guys are playing street basketball out there.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I already told you guys last year that Wolf is our best big men going into this year. However, this is not Olander's fault, he is a limited player who wouldn't start on any big conference program. The problem is Ollie's and Jim Calhoun's love affair with Olander and dismissal of Wolf even though he clearly is bigger, better, and more athletic. Also, another problem is Boatright and Napier not defending at all, and there lack of size in the backcourt which other teams are taking advantage of. They need to defend way better, and crash the boards which they are ot doing. They are playing ugly and jacking up shots trying to increase their NBA stocks at the expense of the team. We are not Villanova or Marquette we need to play bigger with Wolf as our starting Center. This small backcourt of Napier and Boat will be a defensive liability in the backcourt and our bigs with the exception of Wolf can't rebound.

P.S. Ollie is not the coach for this team moving forward. He doesnt have the strong enough personality to be a coach for UCONN, and this team has no system or fluidity right now. Our guys are playing street basketball out there.
Your credibility stopped when you touted EW. Love the guy and he'll get time on the court, but anyone proclaiming him as a solution to the problem won't end up coaching bb at any level.

caw

Reaction Score
TO's problem is simple. He's not a five and he's not hitting wide-open shots. He actually is decent defensively, but he has trouble boxing out his man because usually his man has 3 inches on him. The only negatively surprising thing (for me) about this team is that TO hasn't been hitting any of his jumpers. I figured he would make at least 25-30% of his jumpers. Everything else is pretty much as expected.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I see a lot of movement on offense, lots of screens, constant curls. I have no problem with what we're working on there

I am concerned about the very weak interior play

Reactions: caw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member