Olander as a 3/4? | The Boneyard

Olander as a 3/4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Tyler's got that Abromaitis, Pittsnoggle, Harangody, and Ainge thing going on today. Playing well around the top of the key. Did Rudy Gay work him?

Reaction Score
He is a 4/5 that can leak out and hit the jump shot at the top of the key. Don't stretch it and call him a 3 as he doesn't have the foot speed.

Reaction Score
I would agree with that he doesn't have the speed to keep up with other 3's. He was making a lot of the shots that he wasn't making against FSU. I really think that accidental bank shot got him going.

Reaction Score
I would agree with that he doesn't have the speed to keep up with other 3's. He was making a lot of the shots that he wasn't making against FSU. I really think that accidental bank shot got him going.
Yeah the kid needs a boost of confidence to get him going. He was making the shots and his confidence was obviously high. Secondly the kid is so active, he is a nice asset. He may be slow-footed to some but he is turning out to be a pretty good collegiate player, just ask Alex.

Reaction Score
Nothing like the accident
I really think that accidental bank shot got him going.
Bizarre, isn't it? The worst shot of the day that he took, which was 1.5 feet longer than what he intended and off to the right, is what made him comfortable.
Been there, done that.
The brain is a wonderful and weird thing.

Reaction Score
Don't understand why a face up/stretch PF/C is such a foreign concept on here.

Reaction Score
How is he even close to a 3? Was Zydranus Illguaskas as 3 because he had a nice mid-range game?

Reaction Score
Yep, maybe it is because we are getting so little offense from DD, RS an NG right now people are reaching.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
I don't think its a stretch to say he would be a better 3/4 than Roscoe Smith in many matchup situations. I wouldnt start him as a 3 but Olander can bedevil some of the slower footed 4s who can't play in traffic by rotating over to the 3 five seconds into a half court set looking to create mismatches.and hitting wide open jump shots if he picks up a screen

The other key is the PG trying to make this work and getting the ball to Tyler when open in that position and considering that a high percentage shot. That's the confidence thing and adds another dimension to an inside outside game.

Footwork counts and Tyler's ahead of the rest in my opinion and seems to grasp the fluidity of half court ball and why he can be a 3/4 when in motion.

Reaction Score
I don't think its a stretch to say he would be a better 3/4 than Roscoe Smith in many matchup situations. I wouldnt start him as a 3 but Olander can bedevil some of the slower footed 4s who can't play in traffic by rotating over to the 3 five seconds into a half court set looking to create mismatches.and hitting wide open jump shots if he picks up a screen

The other key is the PG trying to make this work and getting the ball to Tyler when open in that position and considering that a high percentage shot. That's the confidence thing and adds another dimension to an inside outside game.

Footwork counts and Tyler's ahead of the rest in my opinion and seems to grasp the fluidity of half court ball and why he can be a 3/4 when in motion.
Just because he can shoot and pass from the top of the key doesn't make him a 3. He is a 4 that can shoot at the top of the key. Like another poster said I don't understand why you are foreign to this concept. There are many big men that do this and are matchup problems for other teams. He will never be a 3 even for 5 seconds in the half court.

Reaction Score

Because Calhoun has for the longest time fielded a lineup that is way too big for the college game. We're used to seeing 6'9 guys with moderate handle and moderate shooting ability (e.g. Roscoe, and if you really stretch, TO) trying to play the 3, with even bigger guys playing in the post.

Reaction Score
Because Calhoun has for the longest time fielded a lineup that is way too big for the college game. We're used to seeing 6'9 guys with moderate handle and moderate shooting ability (e.g. Roscoe, and if you really stretch, TO) trying to play the 3, with even bigger guys playing in the post.
But Tyler is playing the 4 out there. He is a just a 4 that takes outside shots. I never see him taking anyone off the dribble. He is just a different type of big man than we are use to but still a 4. RS actually plays the 3 at times and can guard the other teams 3 and RS stays on the perimeter offense while Tyler just pops out at times when they need a big man at the top of the key.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I doubt TO plays the 3 for JC.

He had another great game. I've noticed at the end of games he struggles getting some of the defensive rebounds he makes earlier in the game and I wonder if he needs a little more rest.

Tyler has had only one bad shooting game this season, the FSU game. Otherwise he has been pretty consistent on offense. He really makes it difficult for teams to guard UConn because he has that midrange shot. He is a zone buster for sure and so far the best player for the four on offense.

Reaction Score
I doubt TO plays the 3 for JC.

He had another great game. I've noticed at the end of games he struggles getting some of the defensive rebounds he makes earlier in the game and I wonder if he needs a little more rest.

Tyler has had only one bad shooting game this season, the FSU game. Otherwise he has been pretty consistent on offense. He really makes it difficult for teams to guard UConn because he has that midrange shot. He is a zone buster for sure and so far the best player for the four on offense.
Yep and his type of game complements AO/AD's offense which is near the basket. TO opens it up with his shot and is a great passer at the top of the key. I see him keeping his position in the starting lineup and AO/AD rotating at the Center depending who has the hot hand.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Edwards, Kelly, Adrian, Nelson. Boone, Armstrong, and more........

UConn has enough talent that Olander would never start the 3 but that doesn't mean he won't be rotated up against the opponents 3. I can imagine scenarios where Roscoe is at the 3 and Tyler at the 4 and the set rotation is to get Tyler into the 3 for shooting purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom