Oklahoma: Worst W-L record ever for an at-large team? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oklahoma: Worst W-L record ever for an at-large team?

Reaction Score
They are playing well and would love to see them make it. Think they are deff a top 32 team. If on the right night and given the right opponent they may be able to slip into the next weekend.

Reaction Score
The committee is rightfully reluctant to adopt a metric that considers margin of victory because that would incentivize teams to game the system by running up the score.
Cap the algorithm at a 25 pt margin of victory. Problem solved.

Reaction Score
What they need to do is cut the field in half, not add a play-in game. There are not 64 Women’s teams that are good enough to play in the tournament. There are just a lot of really bad teams out there.
I'm not personally a huge fan of that idea. If you did that, you'd have to cut out the automatic bids for winning your conference tournament, and the added weight of making it to the NCAAs makes a lot of mid-major tournaments a lot of fun to watch. Well worth having a first round where the top seeds are going to have an easy time getting through, IMHO.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm not personally a huge fan of that idea. If you did that, you'd have to cut out the automatic bids for winning your conference tournament, and the added weight of making it to the NCAAs makes a lot of mid-major tournaments a lot of fun to watch. Well worth having a first round where the top seeds are going to have an easy time getting through, IMHO.

Agreed. The majority of teams that make the field will have no chance of winning the Championship, even if you cut the field in half. For some of those teams just the joy of getting there is more than worthwhile. Add the occasional Cinderella story that gets everybody excited, an unexpected Sweet 16 or Elite 8 run by a smaller school.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The NCAA is not going to cut the field so any discussion on it is moot. I would rather see at large bids go to mid-majors who had outstanding years. Having a 6th, 7th or 8th team from a power conference when they couldn't get into their own top 4 only continues to divide the universe from the "haves" and the "have nots". The Big10 is looking at 6 bids most likely and who really thinks all but one of them will make to the sweet 16? Heck, I would be shocked if 3 of the teams made it to round 2.

I would be curious to hear from Plebe on this idea I have heard-while no teams under .500 can get an at-large bid, I think it is interesting to say no school with an equal to or sub .500 conference record get a bid. I don't think that limits and conferences/schools this year but it means you must make hay in your league to warrant post season play.

I guess I just think if the NCAA is going to play up the Cinderella story as so many schools made the jump to D1 over the past 15 years, then reward the mid-majors for their efforts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom